New Player - Thoughts...?

secondpink

I just downloaded this game and I was going up against bots, then I played a game and faced another person. I think I did alright, sending my early Horse unit to harass the other guy's workers, and forcing him to waste resources sending a couple units of Cavalry right back at me, of which I defeated with ease. But the pace died down, eventually I tried to expand and build walls, and right there he has a bunch of Skirmishers and a battering Ram and I didn't have any siege equipment yet and I got demolished later.

I have a few questions and thoughts and concerns, but I am just a noob and I obviously have no clue what I am talking about so if I could have feedback, advice, or tips, that would be great.

1. Resources seem to be finite, with Wood being the most abundant while Stone and Metal are pretty slow to get going. Doesn't that make it seem only viable to only train troops that only cost Wood, as well as factions that don't have access to both a basic Infantry and Skirmisher variant that only require Wood to be at a huge disadvantage?

2. It seems to me that the most "OP" way to win, in terms of infantry, is to spam your basic skirmisher unit. (I came to this realization playing against Bots, not this person). I played Athens in this game, and considering both points 1 and 2, I wasn't able to spam my basic Skirmishing unit so my Hoplites lost heavily to his Skirmishers.

3. The siege weapons (battering rams) appear to be extremely OP, quickly decimating structures, being extremely extremely hard to kill, and have the ability to obliterate infantry, while being relatively cheap for how ridiculously effective they can be. It seems to me that the first person to be able to crank out a Battering Ram or 2 and send them with decent support into the enemy base will absolutely destroy. (I also came to this realization playing against Bots, not this person). 

4. The game appears limited in the same sense as Warcraft 3 or Starcraft games, which there's nothing wrong with. I was wondering if there's anything in the game that makes it more along the lines of Civilization or Total War campagin.

5. Also I have no idea how this capturing structures thing works, as I had literally 40 troops around a structure that the other player captured, and I couldn't capture it back. I also don't know how to make my infantry attack structures instead of capturing them.

• Like 1

1. Imho, no

2. Having a balanced unit composition still pays off. For example, having some high armour units infront of slingers perhaps.

3. Siege is weak vs melee units. And almost invincible against ranged units. Check the armour values in unit tooltip.

4. As the game is still in alpha, features are missing. In the meantime try out a mod that can be found in this forum.

5. Capturing depends upon the number of garrisoned units. Its harder to capture a building with a larger garrison.

Hope that clears up some stuff.

1 hour ago, secondpink said:

I just downloaded this game and I was going up against bots, then I played a game and faced another person. I think I did alright, sending my early Horse unit to harass the other guy's workers, and forcing him to waste resources sending a couple units of Cavalry right back at me, of which I defeated with ease. But the pace died down, eventually I tried to expand and build walls, and right there he has a bunch of Skirmishers and a battering Ram and I didn't have any siege equipment yet and I got demolished later.

I have a few questions and thoughts and concerns, but I am just a noob and I obviously have no clue what I am talking about so if I could have feedback, advice, or tips, that would be great.

1. Resources seem to be finite, with Wood being the most abundant while Stone and Metal are pretty slow to get going. Doesn't that make it seem only viable to only train troops that only cost Wood, as well as factions that don't have access to both a basic Infantry and Skirmisher variant that only require Wood to be at a huge disadvantage?

2. It seems to me that the most "OP" way to win, in terms of infantry, is to spam your basic skirmisher unit. (I came to this realization playing against Bots, not this person). I played Athens in this game, and considering both points 1 and 2, I wasn't able to spam my basic Skirmishing unit so my Hoplites lost heavily to his Skirmishers.

3. The siege weapons (battering rams) appear to be extremely OP, quickly decimating structures, being extremely extremely hard to kill, and have the ability to obliterate infantry, while being relatively cheap for how ridiculously effective they can be. It seems to me that the first person to be able to crank out a Battering Ram or 2 and send them with decent support into the enemy base will absolutely destroy. (I also came to this realization playing against Bots, not this person). 

4. The game appears limited in the same sense as Warcraft 3 or Starcraft games, which there's nothing wrong with. I was wondering if there's anything in the game that makes it more along the lines of Civilization or Total War campagin.

5. Also I have no idea how this capturing structures thing works, as I had literally 40 troops around a structure that the other player captured, and I couldn't capture it back. I also don't know how to make my infantry attack structures instead of capturing them.

1-agree I prefer AoE or AoM scheme.

3-yeah must be a counter for this.

4-you mean Grand campaign?

5- Ctrl + Right Click 

https://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/HotKeys

4 hours ago, secondpink said:

Especially swordsmen and elephants are very effective against siege-weapons. A bunch of women can also take out a ram with relative efficiency. But I agree that they are OP. A single ram can easily take down a fortress, and proceed to demolish half your town if not checked by the right units.

I think 1 fortress vs 1 battering ram: the fortress should totally win (with 50% health left). If people think that makes fortresses OP, just increase their build cost (and throw in some wood). Defensive play-styles are legitimate, but the way siege waltzes over your fortifications makes investing in them a pyrrhic experience. 

Also, capturing is easier when the structure is (heavily) damaged. First Ctrl + right click to attack. Then, when the structure is quite damaged, you can choose right click to capture. It's advisable to use siege or elephants to destroy buildings though.  

Edited by Sundiata