[Sugestion] Publicity and reviews (and the like)

vrork

Devs of this game, you guys NEED to enter in contact with Resonance22 ( https://www.facebook.com/Resonance22 , https://www.youtube.com/user/Resonance22Channel/ , https://www.twitch.tv/resonance22 ) and talk to him and see if he can review, make videos and soo on your game. He is a very well know (if not the most) player/streamer of AoE 2 (HD), he worked with the guys that made AoE 2 HD, he is very well know about how the AoE 2 system works, makes a lot of videos about balance, strategies and soo on. If you guys get in contact with it, he will be glad to help you guys, play it and soo on.

Ps: Sorry if it is on the wrong place, but i think you guys would benefit SOO MUCH from him covering your amazing game.

14 minutes ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

The game isn't ready for that. and for same thing we haven't publicity for those Youtubers.

In the past we have offers from ZeroEmpires he is a big fish and good YouTuber.

I understand, but i think it would help you guys if Resonance22 would make reviews and soo on as the game develops. Especially since he worked with the AoE2 HD team, he is able to give much better and more based balance (and other things) suggestions/tips. And if i am not wrong, he is bigger than the ZeroEmpires.

• Like 1

The problem is not getting balance feedback. The number of mods changing balance prove that. The issue is having someone taking the decision while keeping in mind changes to the game engine. Until we are in beta stage some new features can break totally the game balancing like capturing did. So it makes not much sense to balance Ana ever-changing game. Once those features are settled itll make more sense and it will be easier.

• Like 5

31 minutes ago, stanislas69 said:

The problem is not getting balance feedback. The number of mods changing balance prove that. The issue is having someone taking the decision while keeping in mind changes to the game engine. Until we are in beta stage some new features can break totally the game balancing like capturing did. So it makes not much sense to balance Ana ever-changing game. Once those features are settled itll make more sense and it will be easier.

And break reputation. see for example AoE DE, isn't getting good reputation in their broken beta.

ZeroEmpires already did a review of 0 A.D. (albeit very old). Resonance22 and ZeroEmpires are quite close friends, so I believe he knows that 0 A.D. exists. He just doesn't want to bother with it unless you might be willing to pay him to do it.

And besides, like others said, it's too early. There are already concerns that the big youtubers are losing their enthusiasm for this game. Resonance22 might have a similar effect.

Edit: In a homophonal note, Resonant (not Resonance22) just did a lively Review. He presented the game in the way of how I looked at 0 A.D. when I first saw it. It's quite refreshing, actually. I just hope that his videos can give the game enough publicity.

Edited by sphyrth
Adding info
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, sphyrth said:

ZeroEmpires already did a review of 0 A.D. (albeit very old). Resonance22 and ZeroEmpires are quite close friends, so I believe he knows that 0 A.D. exists. He just doesn't want to bother with it unless you might be willing to pay him to do it.

And besides, like others said, it's too early. There are already concerns that the big youtubers are losing their enthusiasm for this game. Resonance22 might have a similar effect.

Edit: In a homophonal note, Resonant (not Resonance22) just did a lively Review. He presented the game in the way of how I looked at 0 A.D. when I first saw it. It's quite refreshing, actually. I just hope that his videos can give the game enough publicity.

Actually, he only doesnt make videos oe stream it (he said he might play it tough) because he wants to be contacted by the devs to do that (idk he want permission or what tough).

9 hours ago, stanislas69 said:

My god, there may be hope after all.

• Like 1

I think @vrork is right. More than anything, 0AD needs publicity to grow. It's a game in development, yes, so that needs to be emphasised in any video, but having a well known youtuber doing an occasional development video on 0AD is potentially gold. 

Maybe vrork could convince him to make an account on this forum so we can publicly discuss what he wants to do, and how we could help him with that? And clarify that he doesn't need permission to do a video on an opensource project.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sundiata said:

I think @vrork is right. More than anything, 0AD needs publicity to grow. It's a game in development, yes, so that needs to be emphasised in any video, but having a well known youtuber doing an occasional development video on 0AD is potentially gold. 

Maybe vrork could convince him to make an account on this forum so we can publicly discuss what he wants to do, and how we could help him with that? And clarify that he doesn't need permission to do a video on an opensource project.

That's depends of many things... more publicity don't means all see the game potential. others can see failures...

1 hour ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

more publicity don't means all see the game potential. others can see failures...

I understand the potential for bad reviews, but someone else would argue that any publicity is good publicity. Fresh voices might help emphasise the main issues with the game right now. I get the idea that some people working on the project are so intimately involved with it that they don't see the forest for the trees anymore, and obvious things are overlooked or ignored. We need more coders, and that means we need more coders to be aware of this game. I don't see how we're going to raise awareness, without publicity..  

1 minute ago, Sundiata said:

I understand the potential for bad reviews, but someone else would argue that any publicity is good publicity. Fresh voices might help emphasise the main issues with the game right now. I get the idea that some people working on the project are so intimately involved with it that they don't see the forest for the trees anymore, and obvious things are overlooked or ignored. We need more coders, and that means we need more coders to be aware of this game. I don't see how we're going to raise awareness, without publicity..  

• We need to know where focus put the "efforts" not all public is coders or artist, many are only players. isn't about to mass numbers only, is know the audience.
  • The problem with actors is they acting in ancient languages.

Just now, stanislas69 said:

I believe what is needed is not someone to tell us how bad the game is or whether its bad or not but mostly someone who can help fixing it. It's easy to criticize but harder to actually do something about it.

Actually, I think what we need most is somebody to be able to inspire people to work on this. The workload is too high for the current team, even though they're doing an amazing job, we need new recruits in almost every department... Popular youtube video's and any other kind of publicity can go a long way... Please, don't take any criticisms personally though, and use them as a resource, rather than a source of frustration.   

4 minutes ago, Sundiata said:

Actually, I think what we need most is somebody to be able to inspire people to work on this. The workload is too high for the current team, even though they're doing an amazing job, we need new recruits in almost every department... Popular youtube video's and any other kind of publicity can go a long way... Please, don't take any criticisms personally though, and use them as a resource, rather than a source of frustration.   

Isn't personally, is professional matters. these advertising is similar to war. you need be effective, accurate, that's why we call them Campaigns, needs strategy.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

not all public is coders or artist, many are only players. isn't about to mass numbers only, is know the audience.

Yeah, but dude, there's going to be a direct correlation between how many coders know about this game and how many people are aware of this game in the first place. Literally everyone I know that knows about this game and has played it, knows about it through me... If we're depending on word of mouth publicity we're not going to go far...

5 minutes ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

But the advantage of use these Youtubers channel is they know their audience, but they don't know our needs.

So someone on the team needs to contact Resonance22, explain the situation in a short description, and explicitly invite him here to make an account and discuss what he could do, and what we need, and how we could help... There's no shame in asking for what we need. "A video marketing a free and open source RTS game in development, in need of coders". 

Edited by Sundiata

8 minutes ago, Sundiata said:

Yeah, but dude, there's going to be a direct correlation between how many coders know about this game and how many people are aware of this game in the first place. Literally everyone I know that knows about this game and has played it, knows about it through me... If we're depending on word of mouth publicity we're not going to go far...

So someone on the team needs to contact Resonance22, explain the situation in a short description, and explicitly invite him here to make an account and discuss what he could do, and what we need, and how we could help... There's no shame in asking for what we need. "A video marketing a free and open source RTS game in development, in need of coders". 

Lets go...

But in my opinion @The Undying Nephalim is doing this better. they bring people to the forums.