Scale Of Ships.

Ulysses S Griffin

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If we're gonna stay realistic then, you couldn't have more than 2 ships on a screen at once (you can't have them next to each other because of the oars).

So while I agree that bigger is better if you're going to have realistic naval combat, you also have to remember that there's a limit to that as well. Half the size of the ship in the pic Michael posted would be the best for that cause I'd say, but I'm sticking with my idea of aok size ships if it's going to be aok style combat ;)

Uh, guys, you can scale objects in the AOM:TT editor! :P

As far as the "style" of combat, let's just say that at this juncture naval combat is designed to be as far removed from AOK/AOE style as possible - so think "realism." Don't know if I can give you anymore details than that, so I'll shut my mouth. ;)

Also, Tonto, I thought my screenshot proved that full scale ships were feasible. One can definately place more than two ships of the size in that screenshot on screen at once. We also don't plan to have 100+ ship fleets like is possible in AOK, but more like 20-25 max. I'll make some more mock ups later guys. ;)

Maybe this will help everyone in their thoughts and opinions:

MDHafer-shipscale-various001.jpg

1.) The standard sized boat as seen in Age of Mythology.

2.) The standard sized foot soldiers as seen in Age of Mythology

3.) The standard sized siege as seen in Age of Mythology.

4.) Boats scaled up to approximately double the size of standard AOK/AOM boats (as compared to foot units).

5.) The "nearly scale" boat.

6.) Siege engines scaled up approx. 25-30% to more accurately show scale compared to foot units.

Thoughts:

A.) I think this graphic clearly shows how silly AOK/AOM sized boats truly look. (Not to mention that a perfectly okay/ludicrous strat in AOM to defend against a juggernaut is to send a few archers to take it out).

B.) plenty of room on both the mid-sized and Nearly Full sized boats for some units to appear.

C.) One can definately fit more than two full sized ships on-screen.

Any other thoughts? Comments?

I propose we start a new poll with this graphic in the opening post, to see what people think.

PS: Some donated currency to the chap who can correctly determine what area of Greece this screenshot was taken! ;)

Salamis (480 BC)

I did look, but never having played AoM I didn;t know exactly what to look for so just took a wild stab in the dark. However, with the hint, I don't know how there could be one other taking the cue from the ships as being engaged, though, of course, many other battles were fought... Salamis is the most famous of them as far as the warboats go... all hail Themistocles. ;)

Michael,

If you are going to do that as Alex asks, as it is a Trireme, arrange one siege weapon on deck at the bow end and another on deck at the stern end. then in between place two ranks of foot units without exactly crowding them. Suggest you place a ballista toward the bow and onager toweard the stern. Put ranged units such as bowmen, slingers or javelinists on deck between the two fore and aft of the mainmast.

If you can, furl the sail. We know that we'll be able to do that when the ship(s) are brought to a standstill, or are on the attack with ship's ram. We will not attempt to 'step the mast'.

You will have to 'fit' the two siege weapons onto the deck (Ideally, neither will occupy more deckspace than would 4 foot units). This will then also define the size of those weapons when taken offboard ship and employed on land.

Alex, note that what I'm doing here in my instruction to him is merely to demonstrate the 'principle' though the AoM Trireme isn't exactly suitable for our purpose in 0ad. You will, however, as player, have lattitude as to which units you wish to 'garrison' aboard. This will be the case for all of the four ships types/sizes, though there are some restrictions that apply relative to type; but I'm not going into that now.

========================

I emphatically agree that to-date ships have been depicted as being small absurdities in other RTS games of the genre. They will not be so in 0 A.D. ;)