===[TASK]=== Celtic Unit Textures

wackyserious

On 1/5/2019 at 11:46 AM, Genava55 said:

For levy unit, there is an attested cap found on relief. It could be useful for variation in the basic versions of some unit:

Reveal hidden contents

image.jpeg.e6276ca678fd828af7e27683e7950991.jpegimage.png.43a1e64485a238e4da66ad2de50d51fb.png

For the wicker shield attested in Gauls (according to Caesar), it could be useful for the javelin thrower:

Reveal hidden contents

image.png.8599da931a2c34e57b5aa65f77c4114e.png

image.thumb.jpeg.3d51c7d967337823b4b8023bec3c6c64.jpeg

image.jpeg.6595a052ee2670144e7aad21320f65f6.jpeg

Bonus (1950s):

image.jpeg.3b8814d0e2235264575aef9b6ce0a2e7.jpeg

For the textile / leather cap, how EBII depicted them:

Cisalpine warriors from EBII:

Spoiler

image.png.e691641cabaa049de91d8808e31ebe08.png

image.png.f6cc62ed999434f8f6732e71b9d3be9f.png

image.thumb.png.997d78bf7a4db2ba659c86b0d3c5cad3.png

image.thumb.png.3ca799d6f8613c4bbf62bf226b5126f9.png

Armorican warriors from EBII:

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.8db2d8dece20dd75e5d58a78b248d35f.png

image.thumb.png.3995ba2bc495d892c6793142758fad48.png

Germanic units from EBII:

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.6badb99985dc6188b8f2ecd021c311d8.png

image.png.e3934106400a4ffda2d0b5688657d4c3.png

image.png.92dd50aea442c28757749a2e0f448c82.png

image.png.ffdd8cdd2b87e7718028bbbf28a500bf.png

Edited by Genava55

• 8 months later...
On 11/1/2019 at 10:01 PM, Alexandermb said:

@wackyserious maybe we could use this in the meantime if you have something planned for later:

In the current state the brit champion texture terrible compared to the rest of the units, because of the low texture resolution it has.

current champion is discarded... 

Genava said isn't accurate unit.

• 7 months later...
41 minutes ago, Orphydian said:

what exact variants of celtic helmets are they wearing?

These are Lugians (Celticized eastern germanics, ancestors of the vandals).

The iron ones are sometimes called Port helmet; they were more common in Gaul but there are finds of them in the east like the Simiechow helmet.

The bronze one is a pretty generic; it seems to have a lip on the back so maybe it's a Coolus.

Edited by Ultimate Aurelian

1 minute ago, Orphydian said:

I see that as a simplified Siemechow type isnt it ? actually I like the general shape more than the original finding

You mean the bronze one ?

I think it's likely a Coolus variant (There are no examples of bronze Port helmets); although Germans did sometimes remove the cheekguards on looted helmets.

This is a Roman helmet modified by Batavians:

fcd2ff562a79961d65675544e5938a59.jpg

31 minutes ago, Orphydian said:

Siemechow type

The Port helmet is thought to be the ancestor of the Imperial Gallic series. Initially the Siemechow helmet has been thought to be a Roman helmet but recent historians highlighted the similarity with other late version of Celtic helmets in the East. The Eastern helmets didn't have a consistent type in the literature but they are clearly close to the Port type. A generic "Mihovo type" has been used but not consistently. The problem with the "Eastern Celtic type" is the misleading usage, confusing Montefortino-like Eastern helmets with the Port-like Eastern helmets.

But anyway, I checked it is clearly the Siemechow type that has been used in the concept of the Lugian Late Swordsmen (I recently entered the team).

37 minutes ago, Ultimate Aurelian said:

The bronze one is a pretty generic; it seems to have a lip on the back so maybe it's a Coolus.

Sort of. I think they added this generic bronze helmet to several elite germanic units because they faced the issue of the overwhelming absence of any evidence surrounding this topic for the Pre-Roman Iron Age.

So it is not officially a Coolus but... it is like one.

Edited by Genava55
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Genava55 said:

Sort of. I think they added this generic bronze helmet to several elite germanic units because they faced the issue of the overwhelming absence of any evidence surrounding this topic for the Pre-Roman Iron Age.

So it is not officially a Coolus but... it is like one.

It reminds me a bit of the Dusseldorf helmet but without horns.

image.png

18 minutes ago, Ultimate Aurelian said:

This is a Roman helmet modified by Batavians:

The Coolus-Mannheim are exclusively in Bronze while the Gelduba is in iron (yes the rust make it misleading at the first sight). And it is probably a Weisenau (Imperial Gallic) modified helmet (or a very late Port like helmet).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Genava55 said:

The Coolus-Mannheim are exclusively in Bronze while the Gelduba is in iron (yes the rust make it misleading at the first sight). And it is probably a Weisenau (Imperial Gallic) modified helmet (or a very late Port like helmet).

Do you think the Gelduba helmet had horns ?

I know it was found with horns, but not sure if they belonged to another item.

There is a bump (In red) in the side that may have been a attachment point, or maybe it's just damage.

fcd2ff562a79961d65675544e5938a59.jpg

11 minutes ago, Ultimate Aurelian said:

It reminds me a bit of the Dusseldorf helmet but without horns.

Yes it is a common design for helmet, although the Dusseldorf is maybe linked to Italic and Greco-Italic helmets because of the back neck-guard. However it was an old analogy made in the literature so it is only a hypothesis. Sadly the origin of the Dusseldorf helmet is obscure and the dating is entirely based on the typology/technology... which is not certain either.

5 minutes ago, Ultimate Aurelian said:

Do you think the Gelduba helmet had horns ?

Probably not. At least I never seen an author suggesting this. The bump seems a bit small for a fixation. Maybe it is a repair.

Edited by Genava55
  • Like 1

On 6/8/2020 at 7:00 PM, Genava55 said:

Probably not. At least I never seen an author suggesting this. The bump seems a bit small for a fixation. Maybe it is a repair.

I was wrong about it being found alongside horns.

I mistook it for the somewhat similar Kessel helmet.

Edited by Ultimate Aurelian

• 1 month later...
Spoiler

Caesar's Legions Legate Uniform

You should stay far away from this mod because this is among the least reliable. There is not a single thing correct in this asset and in this mod in general. I tried to talk with the main leader of the project but he is quite sensitive and it is impossible to discuss the general issue with his mod. Somehow, he believes that the person advising him on the historical evidences is very reliable while clearly this is not the case, even the Roman assets are completely out of frame and poorly done. I have the feeling to see some guys in Rome dressed as centurions for the tourists with peplum's like outfits.

1 hour ago, wackyserious said:

What are your thoughts on this? @Genava55 and others

GallicHunterOS_1.png

No evidences for this kind of pads. The belt buckle is totally anachronistic, this kind of buckle were popularized by the Romans. The cheekguards of the helmet are weirdly decorated with some kind of cavemen symbols. The texture is ugly as hell by the way.

A Gallic belt close to the Gallic Wars looks like this:

1008786696_boucledeceinturegauloise.png.27e984dfc54470dba0fa32c0cefc9810.png

1 hour ago, wackyserious said:

Took inspiration from this Bannerlord mod asset. Shawl armor shape was inspired from the circular chain mail shoulder pads seen in some contemporary illustrations, I used padded cloth instead.

This kind of shoulder pads is indeed attested, although this is a shape better suited for chain mail.

Padded clothes could have been in use, there is a possible account of this on the arch of Orange. However there is no shoulder pads on it. I don't have any real issue with your choice.

However the soft leather armor is simply useless. This is a kind of subarmalis and it protects almost nothing.

EBII made a kind of linothorax for a Celtic unit that could interest you:

1.thumb.jpg.28ff33b75b7c310310ae66d5b412ae08.jpg

Based on this reference

image.jpeg.22eb9542122e1e4b1f4c33061f742d4e.jpegglauberg-2.jpg?w=820

glauberg-1.jpg?w=820

Edited by Genava55
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1