===[TASK]=== Celtic Unit Textures

wackyserious

• Generic Name: Brythonic Longswordsman
  • Specific Name: Uertamika Kingetoi
    • Class: Champion Infantry Unit.
    • Hacker Armament: La Tene Longsword. For a man of this stature should be based on the Kirkburn sword. The hilt of Asbury Scar sword is also good (but not the sword itself).
    • Appearance:
      • Garb: Long sleeve tunic, trousers wrapped in leather bands, suit of chainmail. Should be based on the Kirkburn Mail tunic.
      • Helmet: Gallic iron helmet designs are probably good. The Brythonic Celts also made use of leather helmets, so those as well.
      • Shield: The distinctive Brythonic "hide-shaped" shield.
      • Figure(s): Earth tone colours.
    • History: Brythonic chieftains, much like their Gallic counterparts, went to battle with an elite force as their personal bodyguards. This unit represents the best of the foot nobility of that guard. Their specific name, meaning "Superior Warriors", emphasizes the training and superior skills in combat they have obtained. Their equipment is a testament to the standing and seniority these men enjoy.
    • Garrison: 1.
    • Function: Very high hack attack. High hack armour. Low HPs and low Pierce armour. Bonus vs. All Spear Units (infantry and cavalry).
    • Special: -

Also, according to the design document, they should be wielding the longsword single-handed while wielding a shield on their other hand.

A quick search online about the Kirkburn mail tunic, most of the samples found in illustrations and reconstructions depict the kirburn mail tunic as something very similar to what the Republican Roman army have copied to their Celtic neighbors.

0284af210fb0d4e4d416742043684582--iron-a

• Like 2

On the mail texture, I think there should be a layer of padding underneath. I don't know of any historical artwork where mail is directly touching the skin.

Also, leather armor shouldn't be too common. I feel like that may be rare historically since layers of clothing is as equally or even more effective while being much cheaper than leather. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, SDM said:

On the mail texture, I think there should be a layer of padding underneath. I don't know of any historical artwork where mail is directly touching the skin.

Also, leather armor shouldn't be too common. I feel like that may be rare historically since layers of clothing is as equally or even more effective while being much cheaper than leather. 

The Greek style, indeed probably by gals or Celts that were close to Greek influence. Massilia.

https://www.ancient.eu/massilia/

I remember read about Greek influence to some goulash tribes. I need research that again.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
26 minutes ago, stanislas69 said:

Very nice, I'm just afraid people will confuse red and green team :)

This and @wackyserious's pic gave me an idea. Perhaps too wild to make real, but maybe we could introduce a "secondary player colors" concept, so that non-metal, non-white-ish parts could be somewhat varied within a unit, but still fitting with primary player color for each unit. For example in the picture above and for the red player, no fully green pants, but perhaps some green/orange/brown/(whatever color or colors prove more suitable) stripes and minor parts. Then for blue player another pallet, etc.

Edit: Something similar but simpler can be seen in RTW. Brown & black for Dacia (Brown), Blue and White for Britons (Blue), Green and Dark Orange for Gauls (Green).

Spoiler

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRkSlxkxZ2wpgp11mFQMlY

e6910674eaa6612348573858182a37b8.jpg

Warband.png

Edited by Prodigal Son

Based in  this...

Technically, plaid isn’t the pattern’s proper name. That honor goes to the word “tartan,” which was first used to describe the individual colors and patterns used to decorate the clothes of different Scottish clans. While they often came in the same colors, “plaids” were actually heavy traveling cloaks worn to ward off the bitter cold of the Scottish winters, Tyler Atwood writes for Bustle. Plaid only replaced tartan once the patterns became popular with British and American textile manufacturers who would recreate fabrics that looked like tartans, but without centuries of symbolic meaning embedded in their clothing.

Basically this.

tartans.jpg

• Like 1

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?33417-Europa-Barbarorum&s=f021176c289648509b7093736913d1e5&p=601992&viewfull=1#post601992

celt1.jpg

Early La Tene warriors, late 5th century BCE
Right, these chaps are slightly earlier than our time period, but I liked it as it showed the clothing and armor quite well, as well as showing that they all have shirts on. The old guy is a chieftan, and notice in addition to his sword he has mutliple spears. The Guy on the right is a well off warrior, while the one on the right is a simple free tribal warrior. All wear checked or striped clothes.

celt2.jpg

Gallic Warriors of the Middle La Tene 35d- 2nd BCE
The naked guy is one of the Gaesatae, actaully a tribe that was famous for fighting naked. These would be similar to the Naked Fanatics, but note that he doesn't have the punk rock hairdo. The other foot soldier is frome the Marne district, and again has a shirt. The horsmen has the famous eagle helmet, and it's wings flap as he rides. He is quite well equpiied , and has iron mail. This would probably be a noble unit, but not that of the generals. Note the two javilens.

celt3.jpg

Gallic Cavlarymen of the Late La Tene period, 1st century BCE
Some more Cavalry men. They again, all have shirts. They are more poor soldiers, their helms actaully being scavenged from Romans. In the desc there's an excellent part of Celtic horse strategy:
"These riders would normally throw their javelins immediately before contact; the heavier thrusting spear would be used at close quaters, and finnaly the sword might be drawn"
In the back, there's a dude with a celtic war trumpet that has a boar on it, possibly inspiring CA's choice to have on the unit flag of the Gauls a boar.

celt4.jpg

British Chariot and Crew, 55 BCE
A beutiful picture of a chariot, sorry that the middle's a bit cut off, as it's a two page spread. The poorer driver (the one with woad on him) would manuever the chariot at incredible speeds, while their nobleman passenger would throw javellins. They would dismount to fight against infantry, while the driver would move the chariot off ready to pick up the nobleman.

celt5.jpg

Celtic Light infantry types 1st century BCE, 1st century CE
Light infantry types, these do have no shirts, but that's because their all light infantry, and likely poor. The slingers were quite common, while the bowmen were rarer. The light swordsmen were supposedly quite good, but were deffeated by Germanic auxalries. The javileneers are young men not yet strong enough to trade swords with the grown men, so they used javilens instead as their main weapon.

• Like 1