===[COMMITED]=== Brit Stables

Stan`

5 minutes ago, sphyrth said:

lol. So in order for you guys to slow down, it's time for the art critics.

As long as they are constructive that's okay.

I feel like it's normal that the stables look rich in the sense that it's a phase 2 building and stables are not really a common thing...

I tried to fit the current Brit design and the stables shape.

34 minutes ago, serveurix said:

It looks too rich to me, especially with those big colored flowers. And the contrast between the apparent richness of the structure and the wonky barriers and pillars has something disturbing.

What would you do with it ?

Just a thought, but perhaps the footprint of the stables can be increased with a miniature fenced field (half the size of a farm) with an idle horse pacing around, directly adjacent to the building, to represent these "meadows". Would also make the stables 100% recognisable in an instant, even when zoomed out. It also makes it look more unique and realistic than the AoE equivalent. 

I actually like the brightly coloured flowers and other vegetation. 

Sundiata, at first glance an interesting suggestion, on second thought a bad idea, because:

• correct me if I'm wrong, but increasing the footprint also makes the structure more vulnerable to attacks, right?
  • “half the size of a farm” would certainly not be anyway close enough to provide enough grass to feed even a single horse; better omit meadows than making them an unnecessary and unrealistic addition compromising reality;
  • the courtyard of the proposed visual actor already has a fence.

I actually like the current design(s).

Edited by Nescio
ce

1 hour ago, stanislas69 said:

What would you do with it ?

I would remove those flowers entirely, they don't look very british to me. Keep the ivy though.

If you want to give the building a rich look, then have the barriers and pillar be straight, like a well-built and well-maintained building. If, on the contrary, you want to give the building a poorer look, then remove or deteriorate the wall painting and use branches and trunks for the barriers instead of straight beams.

(this is just my opinion)

Edited by serveurix

@serveurix I actually made a collage of species of flowers native to Great Britain :P :

59f21b23d1e22_NativeBritishspeciesofflower.thumb.jpg.b1cff4a893282a3e1cae1aeb205dcabd.jpg

The "problem" isn't so much that they look exotic, because they just look like generic flowers from anywhere in the world, but there's differently coloured flowers growing through each other. Just imagine a few species of pretty wild flowers growing in the same spot, and "problem" solved. 

7 hours ago, LordGood said:

you might just be weirded out by the two story Briton building

Might have more to do with it... 

8 hours ago, Nescio said:
  • correct me if I'm wrong, but increasing the footprint also makes the structure more vulnerable to attacks, right?
  • “half the size of a farm” would certainly not be anyway close enough to provide enough grass to feed even a single horse; better omit meadows than making them an unnecessary and unrealistic addition compromising reality;
  • the courtyard of the proposed visual actor already has a fence.

I actually like the current design(s).

1) Stables should be more vulnerable to attack. They're large open spaces with a few structures, difficult to defend in real life. The structure could even be surrounded by smaller fenced areas all the way around it's sides and back, to represent this.

2) A fenced area half the size of a farm" is definitely enough room for a horse to stretch it's legs, which it needs to do at least once a day. In stables, food is delivered in the from bales of hay (good idea for a prop), not necessarily from meadows. This is how horses are kept in densely populated areas. Reality is continually compromised in the game. It's not a simulation, so all the models are just approximations anyway. 

3) Indeed, but that's for combat practice. Horses need leisure time too :P 

At the end of the day, it really doesn't matter, just an idea. I've been thinking about a lot of ways to break AoEII conventions, and visually it can be achieved by more unique models. For example, 0AD simply copied the "square farm" concept from AoE, but what is it's benefit, other than making everybody think the game is an age of empires clone. Vast majority of farms anywhere in the world are sort of rectangular, so why not make farms rectangular, in stead of square. Looks more realistic, and people will be less inclined to think it"s an AoE ripoff. Same goes for stables. Add a fenced area for a horse to actually walk around, and WHAM! Totally different from Age of Empires! :) And don't forget recognisability...

Personally vines and grass would be better. Flowers on houses, CC, temples and wonders is nice. I like a bit more grassy looking military structures.

The barracks and stables for britons have so many curves though they look good at zoom in. The houses are nice but quite low and mostly don’t show the whole structure when you build it.