The best way to record game footage (not only 0 ad)

Sup folks,

I'm probably going to buy a new PC next year and I want to make promotional material for games. I want to record footage then edit out the boring parts, and then upload. On Playstation 4 (when I had one) there was a record feature and you could upload directly to Youtube, but only in really bad quality "HD" which wasn't true HD. Is it better to record with hardware instead of software? I believe there is a way to record the data from the HDMI cable and maybe this would be the best way.

Next year I'd like to make videos of 8-bit Armies and 0 AD. Also what video editing package should I use? I'm not aware of any except Cyber Link software. It would be nice to add in audio at specific moments, or have a text box. 

+1 on OBS as your Video Recorder - It has a learning curve, but once you got it set-up you can have majority of your video-recording potential in there.

Recording via Hardware? I don't know much about it.

Video Editor - I personally use OpenShot, but I have experienced enough quirks not to recommend it yet. It's a Use-at-your-own-risk thing.

Shotcut seems promising, though. But it's gonna depend heavily on your Video Editing needs.

3 hours ago, stanislas69 said:

About the recording part best is dedicated card as it doesn't consume more power so you can play without any performance drop. Else I think obs and Nvidia shadow play are nice.

So these things pickup the HDMI data that goes through the system and it records to the hard drive? How does it link with other PC components?

I've tried OBS and it isn't working. First I had a problem that was easily fixed - it wasn't recording video. Now it does record video but with very odd results. I tried to record 8 bit armies and there was no movement on the screen. I could see the mouse pointer and in the game I was clicking on the mini map and I was moving the mouse to the screen edge to scroll. Somehow, the OBS recorded stuff did not render the scrolling of the map. Also I could hear shooting and the voices of my units, but in the recorded video the units are not moving or shooting. They are stuck still.