Really?

wowgetoffyourcellphone

11 hours ago, LordGood said:

Breakin' templates

But that doesn't break downstream templates, right? The values are still the same and several layers of inheritance work perfectly. :unsure:

Even if I'm wrong, unfortunately this kind of change is important if we want a tidy codebase which we can work on. Sorry for the inconvenience (if any)...

• Like 3

"To fork, or not to fork?" That is the question.

It's been nearly a year since I joined in the forums and even I can feel the frustrations of all sides:
Traditional Players vs. Modern Players
Developers vs. Players
Devs vs. Devs
Devs vs. Modders
and even the asset-makers

Of all the factors, this is the clearest indication why the game has stayed in Alpha for so many years.

That's just the nature of an open source project. Everyone has their own vision and they collide either creatively or destructively. I know I quit 'solo modding' after I honed my skills enough to get a feel for how things work. Modding is a waste of time at this point if you're looking for an end product. The thing is Terra Magna is a testing ground for civs so it wont break so often, Delenda Est and other balance mods are gameplay mods so you're going to be locking antlers with the dev team when we make any kind of progress/clean up code.

You have to understand too, I'm sure many of the devs are just as embittered about this. I know I haven't really had fun playing 0 AD since A16 did away with multiplier counters, and later PA. Not to say I didn't have a smattering of fun games along the way.

My job here is easy enough in that I just have to make things look pretty. I have my own vision for this game, but I'd rather see things centralized and strong than contribute to this 'warring states' period we're going through now.

• Like 2

As far as I see most if not all templates (including intermediaries) are already copied to Delenda Est. So the DE speed values aren't affected after all, no?

Attached the unit_summary_table.html for delenda est and svn (after adding the "glory" resource to unitTables.py) showing that the intermediary template speed values didn't actually change in DE. So might not be that big of a deal, as the non-intermediary templates should therefore also have the same numbers.

We 0ad devs often rewrite the entire thing from top to bottom to ease future changes and improve maintenance. But since DE doesn't change much of code but more templates, we can remember that for the stakeholder analysis for future template patches.

unit_summary_table.zip

• Like 3

3 hours ago, elexis said:

As far as I see most if not all templates (including intermediaries) are already copied to Delenda Est. So the DE speed values aren't affected after all, no?

Yes I don't understand what happened here and why @wowgetoffyourcellphone reacted that way to this specific commit. I agree it's not always easy to follow our changes but this commit didn't change anything at all for the mod! There is no breakage and no need to update anything (unless you want to perform the exact same change to the mod files, in which case patching the mod using the diff from the commit should be enough in 99% of templates).

Okay there was a misunderstanding originally, but just take a look at the discussion above: Justus continued complaining about having to, I quote, "waste time altering all [his] templates for this seemingly random change", after I explained he didn't have to. That makes absolutely no sense to me. Unless he just wanted to go wild, in which case leper helped him a lot indeed ;)

Seriously that's beyond me, this commit is such an insignificant commit to ragequit over :huh:

2 hours ago, Itms said:

Yes I don't understand what happened here and why @wowgetoffyourcellphone reacted that way to this specific commit. I agree it's not always easy to follow our changes but this commit didn't change anything at all for the mod! There is no breakage and no need to update anything (unless you want to perform the exact same change to the mod files, in which case patching the mod using the diff from the commit should be enough in 99% of templates).

to me @leper was rude. and isnt the first time.

• Like 1

I smell some unsettled past thing. I don't care, I just want that everyone just continue enjoying with the development of the game.

Sure, let's keep going and forget is not always possible nor desirable. But I just hope that everybody can have their personal (or dialogue) process and feel better.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

all sides needs apologies. remember isnt only a game gentlemens, is a engine and mods that we have here and the free time of many of us.

Honestly, I don't understand what's going on here.

If a mod worked before this patch, it should also work afterwards. There is no need to change any templates if you don't want to.

• Like 1

Just now, Nescio said:

Honestly, I don't understand what's going on here.

I think this is just miscommunication, with old grudges and unsaid stuff. 

If a mod worked before this patch, it should also work afterwards. There is no need to change any templates if you don't want to.

The mod will work yes, but I guess the point was about having to adapt to a cleanup change that might have broken some templates, which you would have to find, And I remember delenda est having a lot of templates because of added civs. So I think it's more about having something to change that you expected not to have to than actually the change itself.

• Like 1