Who is Paul?

Lion.Kanzen

Now all we need is for the sounds to fire when the projectile hits the ground too. :)

Also, the sound engine has it backward. The impact sound should play when something is struck, not when something strikes something. What I mean is, the impacted entity should call the sound effect, not the attacking unit.

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 22/09/2017 at 8:02 AM, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Now all we need is for the sounds to fire when the projectile hits the ground too. :)

Also, the sound engine has it backward. The impact sound should play when something is struck, not when something strikes something. What I mean is, the impacted entity should call the sound effect, not the attacking unit.

@Pureon@wowgetoffyourcellphone

Your input is needed for the  @Mate-86's work on D921.

Actually it's simple to have both.

Currently, we have a

A) sound emited for hit units grabbed from the attacker (attack_impact).

We could have

B1) a projectile impact sound (always emited, even when ground is hitten) (attack_impact) grabbed from attacker

B2) and a sound emited for hit (damaged) units grabbed from the target. (We could reuse for them the previous attack_impact sounds?) (name suggestion? armor_impact?)

We first think to only have B1) but adding B2) is trivial (just will need some templates editing then).

12 minutes ago, fatherbushido said:

B2) and a sound emited for hit (damaged) units grabbed from the target. (We could reuse for them the previous attack_impact sounds?) (name suggestion? armor_impact?)

We first think to only have B1) but adding B2) is trivial (just will need some templates editing then).

Yes, this is very much needed. Because right now, if the catapult is outside the camera view, but the rock hits the building, there is no sound, because the emitter is the catapult, not the damaged building. The target should be the emitter in this case.

I think these would be good:

"Damaged_Catapult"

"Damaged_Ram"

"Damaged_Arrow"

"Damaged_Sword"

"Damaged_Bolt"

"Damaged_X" = whatever we can think of, or mods, say "Damaged_Magic" could be possible, see: Hyrule:Conquest.

And yeah, a lot of sounds could be reused or grabbed from existing sounds. I haven't look in a while but the sound SVN repository might have a bunch of stuff to grab.

Some dreamer stuff:

Spoiler

Could have something like "Damaged_Catapult_Distant"  or something so big impacts, like rocks, could bleed further away, like impacts outside camera range could have a low rumble or something as long as the camera view is within X meters of the impact.

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone

Happy with B1 for now.

As mentioned on D921, and apparently in #1909, we could also add a short burst of debris particles (cloud of dust) at the projectile hit location, especially for the larger projectiles. art/particles/destruction_dust_small_gray.xml would be my particle suggestion as it spreads out well, obscuring the hit location and providing a visual area of effect for the damage caused.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1