Create archer that can fight as a swordsman

screab

Hello,

After I successfully modified some units and structures to produce those units I now want to create an archer that will switch to melee weapons when in close proximity to an enemy unit. I find it more realistic for an archer to be able to draw a knife/sword and defend himself instead of shooting 20 arrows at a guy sitting right in front of him.

I tried adding the Melee settings under the attack tag for an archer but when he uses the melee attack he looks like standing still. If I add the Ranged settings under the attack tag for a swordsman I get an error about not being able to load the entity because it has extra tag in attack ( basically it tells me I should remove the Melee tag ).

My question is how can I create such an unit ? I believe I have to copy something from the motions and arts of both basic units ( swordsman and archer ) but where and what should I modify ?

Thanks for you help

• Like 1

It wasn't implemented cause the dev teams didn't agree in how implement it?

The dps didn't have sense for me. Maybe in ranged mode I do less damage, but I'm safe. I click to attack and then the ranged unit goes into melee mode but gets killed by a jav mass, defenses, etc.

Why the work stopped @bb_?

the The work hasn't stopped entirely. The patches in the ticket have indeed been decided to be too limited (not that we didn't agree on that though), so I have written a patch (with dps system) that allows N attack-types. But since that patch is too big to drag through the review process at once, so currently a small part is up for review: https://code.wildfiregames.com/D757.

In current svn one can indeed set multiple attack (max 4 in total: slaughter, capture, melee, ranged) types in the template. And actually you already can set different animations in the unit actor.

• Like 1