0abc mod

Nescio

• 1 month later...
On 3/22/2020 at 4:58 PM, Stan` said:

@Nescio, still need those ?

Yes, I do, thanks. The right most look good, could you reduce the space between the letters (kerning), though? Icons in 0 A.D. are supposed to be squares, and I doubt the viii would fit into one.

Also, any progress on the javelins svg?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
14 hours ago, Stan` said:

I realise I never uploaded them. fonts.svglogos.svg

@Nescio It might be easier for you to fix the kerning as I'm not sure how close you want the letters to be. Then I can use those for D3404

Thanks. It's been a while since I last worked on my 0abc mod; writing patches for the svn development version got in the way :). As for kerning, as much as is necessary to make VIII square.

Regarding the gather technology icons, how it's done here can serve as an example for the public version. However, I don't recommend including them as is, it's better to just use the I, II, III from the village, town, and city phase icons, if possible, for visual consistency.

18 minutes ago, Nescio said:

VIII

Unless you make stretch it vertically, it will never be square.

19 minutes ago, Nescio said:

Regarding the gather technology icons, how it's done here can serve as an example for the public version. However, I don't recommend including them as is, it's better to just use the I, II, III from the village, town, and city phase icons, if possible, for visual consistency.

I don't think we have them anywhere sadly. (In a losless format)

40 minutes ago, Stan` said:

I don't think we have them anywhere sadly. (In a losless format)

Isn't png lossless? The phase icons are 256×256, the gather icons 128×128, so a quadrant would be 64×64. So cutting the I, II, III out, giving them a transparent background, scaling them down by a factor 4, and putting them on top of the gather icons should work:

wood_axe_03.png.f86909ab9bd5eff10aaf808d50d7a970.png

I've been using this mod for experimenting with things, and while the svg numerals may look nice in a forum post, they haven't been tried and tested in game, so I'd be more comfortable with sticking with the existing phase numerals.

2 minutes ago, Nescio said:

Isn't png lossless? The phase icons are 256×256, the gather icons 128×128, so a quadrant would be 64×64. So cutting the I, II, III out, giving them a transparent background, scaling them down by a factor 4, and putting them on top of the gather icons should work:

PNG is losless but doesn't support saving layers, which make the extracting process a bit tedious. Also I find the phase icons a bit blurry, not sure whether that was intended by @wowgetoffyourcellphone

4 minutes ago, Nescio said:

I've been using this mod for experimenting with things, and while the svg numerals may look nice in a forum post, they haven't been tried and tested in game, so I'd be more comfortable with sticking with the existing phase numerals.

Well that could be part of the testing, yes. Anyway in the end you have to turn them into non vectorial images. (The game doesn't load SVG)

• 1 month later...

As you may have noticed, there is a new stable release of 0 A.D., a lot of things have been changed since 2018, and most mods designed for a23 will no longer work.

I've started writing a new version of my 0abc mod from scratch and included some of the basic things (silver resource, thrust damage, removed resource loot from units, cavalry requires 2 population and can't gather meat, disabled team bonuses, tweaked civ bonuses etc.): https://github.com/0abc/0abc-a24

Currently I'm unhappy with the session interface again, there is simply not enough room in the top panel for five resources and the player view control dropdown or build label:

gui.thumb.jpg.90b002197ebcc8076e10d288de38e836.jpg

On 19/01/2021 at 10:36 AM, Stan` said:

Ideally this should have been achieved with overlay icons I, II, III, IV, etc. with a line in techs that add the icon over the portrait. Similar to how rank icons overlay unit portraits. Would have required more code though.

39 minutes ago, Nescio said:

Currently I'm unhappy with the session interface again, there is simply not enough room in the top panel for five resources and the player view control dropdown or build label:

gui.thumb.jpg.90b002197ebcc8076e10d288de38e836.jpg

Who plays at this resolution?

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone

11 hours ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Ideally this should have been achieved with overlay icons I, II, III, IV, etc. with a line in techs that add the icon over the portrait. Similar to how rank icons overlay unit portraits. Would have required more code though.

Ideally, yes. Furthermore, portraits (of units, structures, resources, technologies) ought to have fully transparent backgrounds, to improve flexibility and consistency; opaque background colours could be placed underneath with a bit of code.

11 hours ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Who plays at this resolution?

I do :): having 0 A.D. occupy one-half of the screen allows me to use a text editor or web browser on the other half; or two instances of 0 A.D. next to each other. Besides, designing for a width of 960 pixels also means it will work on 1024×768 (the mimimum supported resolution) and 1280×720, and it allows for easy scaling: 960×2=1920; 960×3=2880; 960×4=3840.