0abc mod

Nescio

6 minutes ago, azayrahmad said:

About the icons, my absolute favorite is unit cards from Rome II Total War:

35n25x3.jpg

It has 'ancient pottery' aesthetic I like and the mini icons on top can tell much about the unit in so little space. Although in 0 A.D unit icons are half Total War's size, so hopefully you can still make them visible in such little space.

Pottery-like drawings won't happen, but my current idea is to overlay weapon icons on top of the unit portrait, e.g.

rome_infantry_swordsman_b.png.055945fd5fa70d4c9ab7014205910b3b.png

1 hour ago, azayrahmad said:

Of course lol, I just want to show the efficiency of weapon icon there for inspiration. 

Yeah, I agree it can make it easier to identify unit types and it's worth trying it out; but to do so, I first need appropiate icons for all weapon types (currently ten in my mod).

[EDIT]: In game it would look like this:

Spoiler

sword-icon.thumb.png.8d5b1ede03017c760effa7cefe9b1072.png

It could probably be clearer.

Edited by Nescio
gui mock-up

11 hours ago, azayrahmad said:

About the icons, my absolute favorite is unit cards from Rome II Total War:

35n25x3.jpg

It has 'ancient pottery' aesthetic I like and the mini icons on top can tell much about the unit in so little space. Although in 0 A.D unit icons are half Total War's size, so hopefully you can still make them visible in such little space.

I liked the idea of these, but hated them in practice. I know what they were going for, the red fire pottery, which is a pretty cool callback. But they were hard to tell apart.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

Yes I can split the background from the rest.

The weapon you needs is missing in the repository?  I make it from scratch , yes I can. Take a while.

Even I'm planning make a new variety of icons for modders.

It would also be nice to have the Roman numerals from the phase icons (i, ii, iii, iv) with a transparent background.

45 minutes ago, Nescio said:

It would also be nice to have the Roman numerals from the phase icons (i, ii, iii, iv) with a transparent background.

I started to drawing the Kopis.

Spoiler

OJiTLU2.png

This serve as guide, now to start to work in pc digitilazation like I did with archery range and sentry tower.

Edited by Lion.Kanzen

12 hours ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

I started to drawing the Kopis.

Hide contents

OJiTLU2.png

This serve as guide, now to start to work in pc digitilazation like I did with archery range and sentry tower.

That looks promising!

To summarize what I'd like to have (yes, the list has grown):

• twelve Roman numerals: i, ii, iii, iv, v, vi, vii, viii, ix, x, xi, xii
  • six melee weapons: pike, spear, gladius/xiphos/sword, falcata/kopis/sabre, sagaris/axe, mace
  • six ranged weapons: javelin, bow-and-arrow, crossbow, sling, staff sling, throwing axe
  • six unit categories: infantry, cavalry, camelry, chariotry, elephantry, artillery (maybe chess-like?)
  • six resources: bricks, charcoal, cheese, fish (cursor), fruit (olives?), time (clock)

PNG, 128×128 pixels, transparent background.

• Like 1

0abc updated, six new selection shapes:

• melee infantry: 128×128 circle (unchanged)
  • melee camel, cavalry, elephant: 128×256 ellipse (new)
  • ranged: pentagon (new)
  • woman, slave, fishing boat: hexagon (new)
  • trader, merchant ship: rhombus
  • plus: healer (unchanged)
  • star: hero (unchanged)
  • rounded rectangle: catafalque (new)
  • also new but unused: octagon, dodecagon
Spoiler

1932130196_Screenshotfrom2019-08-1918-03-00.png.9b26a075f09283e3fe53dab27e99e449.png

1785378650_Screenshotfrom2019-08-1917-58-02.png.fac979638de45f201aaa498940ada091.png

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

I'd put at least a 1 pixel black stroke around the numerals. :victory:

Unfortunately I don't know how to do that; my graphical skills are rather limited; creating those numerals in GIMP was already hard enough for me; defining geometrical shapes in a svg file is much easier. Anyway, feel free to improve them:

phase_i.png.a4175f5bbada2c96dcd6a9fa337571c3.pngphase_ii.png.5ba2b77adcdac8ea23db3504b5eec120.pngphase_iii.png.eb4950ce8f98d6146ea92c99bc0e074f.pngphase_iv.png.6497896243934b096871a09b559bfc29.png

34 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

It would also be nice if the numerals were a separate texture that could be overlaid on the tech portrait by the ui. Perhaps by a new line in the tech files.

Yeah, that's the idea, eventually, which is also why I requested icons with a transparent background. The portraits in the public folder are useless to me, because they have a background.

For entities the top left quadrant is used for the rank icon and the top right quadrant for the upgrade icon. I intend to overlay a weapon icon in the bottom left quadrant. Understanding and tweaking the GUI js files is not always easy, though.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Nescio said:

Unfortunately I don't know how to do that; my graphical skills are rather limited; creating those numerals in GIMP was already hard enough for me; defining geometrical shapes in a svg file is much easier. Anyway, feel free to improve them:

You could have made them in Inkscape and then exported them as PNG ? I also believe it can import SVG :)

34 minutes ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

Starting with the poor composition and limited to a much lower resolution.

Do you mean working at a high size (e.g. 1024×1024) and then downsizing (e.g. to 128×128)? Here's the result:

Spoiler

_viii.thumb.png.def43f13c11068c03800a6c61e50e09d.png

viii.png.5af7830cc5b617ae5b8c62778c2873f1.png

Better?

19 minutes ago, Stan` said:

You could have made them in Inkscape and then exported them as PNG ? I also believe it can import SVG :)

That's what I did when creating those new selection markers on Monday (above). But those don't need shadows, portraits do. :)

12 minutes ago, Nescio said:

Do you mean working at a high size (e.g. 1024×1024) and then downsizing (e.g. to 128×128)? Here's the result:

Reveal hidden contents

_viii.thumb.png.def43f13c11068c03800a6c61e50e09d.png

viii.png.5af7830cc5b617ae5b8c62778c2873f1.png

Better?

That's what I did when creating those new selection markers on Monday (above). But those don't need shadows, portraits do. :)

Several things.

This is from my own experience, plus my university studies.

Many elements at such a small size can overload an image making it difficult for the mind to separate it in part. Can be confusing for some users.

You have to look for simplicity above all.

For that reason the composition and where you place the elements is important, you must try to place them in different positions to take advantage of the space in a cohorent way.
They dissented in such a way that they left a black onsobra space in the icons in the background.

image.png.a64f9cb0b4a248a44aa6c3eeab7e0272.png

Another thing that I know by reading and studying this interface, which I published in this forum.

It's that this interface is bigger, consumes more space on screen, so their icons are also bigger to ours and have another space.

Edited by Lion.Kanzen

Unfortunately I'm mystified by your answer.

Most portraits are 128×128 pixels. The GUI displays them as 64×64 portraits in the tooltip and 32×32 icons on the right selection panel. One quadrant is 16×16 pixels. In the  I guess the `gui.scale = 2.0` is applied afterwards, i.e. 128→16→32.

Anyway, the numeral with shadow (viii) actually looks worse in the tech tree than the simple one I made initially (iii):

Spoiler

1575982320_Screenshotfrom2019-08-2121-43-19.png.8fa9d9b44ec602ff9031471cc62beb7a.png

So I suppose I should keep it simple and leave making portraits with shadows to more experienced people.