0abc mod

Nescio

0abc updated:

• changed unit rosters of all factions (see 0abc-readme.pdf, unitroster.pdf, readme, or forum post)
  • starting units:
    • one healer, five women
    • two melee infantry, two ranged infantry
    • one cavalry, melee or ranged
    • four goats (75 meat each), three sheep (100 each), two pigs (150 each), or one zebu (300 each)
    • Britons: one war dog; Mauryas: one support elephant
  • organized generic fauna templates
  • differentiated specific fauna species
  • standardized unit icons (except ships) to be actor based (units.zip):
    • shows full unit
    • transparent background, square canvas
    • melee and non-combatants orientated from top-left to bottom-right, ranged from top-right to bottom-left
    • player colour scheme:
      • b: blue (hsv: 225°, 100%, 100%; rgb: 0%, 25%, 100%)
      • a: green (hsv: 90°, 100%, 100%; rgb: 50%, 100%, 0%)
      • e: golden (hsv: 45°, 100%, 100%; rgb: 100%, 75%, 0%)
      • c: red (hsv: 0°, 100%, 100%; rgb: 100%, 0%, 0%)
      • h: purple (hsv: 270°, 100%, 100%; rgb: 100%, 0%, 75%)
      • support: cyan (hsv: 180°, 100%, 100%; rgb: 0, 100%, 100%)
      • siege: white (rgb: 100%, 100%, 100%)
      • fauna: white (rgb: 100%, 100%, 100%)
    • e.g. Macedonian infantry crossbowman champion:
      mace_infantry_crossbowman_c.png.da35ea035d33d5133507282bd3d94c4e.png
  • changed selection shapes:
    • star: catafalques and heroes
    • plus: healers
    • rhombus: ranged
    • circle: melee and non-combatants
  • tweaked aura overlays:2142051909_Screenshotfrom2019-02-1419-21-57.png.c3af9c1a63bee94e9f4a97015b807fcb.png
    outward pointing, inward pointing, zigzag, and pluses correspond to, respectively:
    offensive (chariot), defensive (trader), economic (centre), and healing (healer) auras
  • scythed chariots have melee attack (20% crush, 40% hack, 40% thrust)
  • numerous smaller tweaks and corrections; as usual, see 0abc-readme.pdf for more detailed information
Edited by Nescio
include zip
  • Like 1

On 2/14/2019 at 7:47 PM, Nescio said:

The rationale for D1024 was making things easier for mods; unfortunately it creates problems in my special case. I suppose the only way to get the metropolis phase working as in the A22 version of my mod is by reverting mimo's patch.

or maybe try to understand what happens instead of doing random changes and testing only through the structree (which goes through a different piece of code) such that, reading previous posts, i'm unable to say what you really want to achieve and what does not work.

I guess that you want to prevent a phase for a specific civ (let's say gaul)? if yes, as they fall_back to generic, the normal way would be to add { "notciv": "gaul" } in the tech requirements of the generic json file (Note that i have not tested any of that, just saying what i would try, and also that may be you'd have to do it for all higher phases than the one you want to remove, i.e. if you want to remove the town phase of gaul, you have to add  { "notciv": "gaul" } in phase_town_generic.json and maybe also in phase_city_generic.json).

Then you should first test in game (so without looking at the structree) to check if that does what you want. The quickest being using the scenario map sandbox_gaul and trying to update phases.

If that works, then check the structree to see if it needs some changes.

• Like 1

Do you plan to have any way to toggle the aura indicators on and off?  It could make a group of units look fairly cluttered without that option.

Also, do you mind sharing the reasons that you removed Athens and Sparta in favour of a single faction while keeping the Celts the same (Not to sound is if I consider the approach you have taken to be inferior to what the official game has to offer.)?  

• Like 1

On 2/16/2019 at 3:40 PM, mimo said:

reading previous posts, i'm unable to say what you really want to achieve and what does not work.

Basically what I want is the following:

phase_village.json (autoresearched)
phase_town.json (all civs)
phase_city.json (all civs)
phase_metropolis.json (mace, ptol, sele; not any other civs)

What I currently have is:

phase_village.json
phase_town.json
phase_town_generic.json
phase_town_athen.json.DELETED
phase_city.json
phase_city_generic.json
phase_city_athen.json.DELETED

What works is the above with:

phase_metropolis.json (placeholder)
phase_metropolis_generic.json (no civ requirements)
phase_metropolis_mace.json
phase_metropolis_ptol.json
phase_metropolis_sele.json

Things that don't work include:

phase_metropolis.json (mace, ptol, sele requirements)

phase_metropolis_generic.json (mace, ptol, sele requirements)

phase_metropolis_mace.json
phase_metropolis_ptol.json
phase_metropolis_sele.json

Furthermore, I have no idea why the following causes errors:

phase_village.json
phase_town.json
phase_town_generic.json.DELETED
phase_town_athen.json.DELETED
phase_city.json
phase_city_generic.json.DELETED
phase_city_athen.json.DELETED

• Like 1

but still, when you say that things work or don't work, does that mean that it does what you want in game, or the structree works? Making it work in game should be straightforward (with what you describe, having only generic phases, with the wanted civ requirements in the  phase_metropolis_generic.json).

But as i said, i think the structree is broken when civs don't have the same phase sequences (it does not check for civ req when building the phaseList, and there is only one phaseList for all civs).

• Like 1

On 2/18/2019 at 8:53 PM, Thorfinn the Shallow Minded said:

Do you plan to have any way to toggle the aura indicators on and off?  It could make a group of units look fairly cluttered without that option.

What do you mean exactly? Those visualizations are already optional:

1878847956_Screenshotfrom2019-02-1821-27-36.thumb.png.a1fbb44b94aa9ad98cea36c7fc661010.png

On 2/18/2019 at 8:53 PM, Thorfinn the Shallow Minded said:

Also, do you mind sharing the reasons that you removed Athens and Sparta in favour of a single faction while keeping the Celts the same (Not to sound is if I consider the approach you have taken to be inferior to what the official game has to offer.)?

To start with, if Athens and Sparta, then why not Argos, Corinth, Thebes, Syracusae, etc. as well? Gauls are not split up in multiple separate tribes either, nor are Britons or Iberians.

Secondly, popular culture typically exaggerates the differences between Athens and Sparta. Sure, there were some differences, but overal they were more similar than most people realize. Their armies consisted of a core of heavily armed but untrained wealthy citizens, supplemented by hired mercenaries and coerced allies. In democratic Athens, c. 10% of the population could vote, but the politicians addressing the people, making proposals and speeches, and getting nominated and elected to the highest offices (archons and strategoi) came from a handful of oligarchic families. Sparta was officially a dual monarchy (its kings were comparable to Roman consuls or Carthaginian sufets) but the real political power was in the hands of the oligarchic gerousia (senate). Farming was the primary occupation. They recognized the same pantheon. Etc.

Furthermore, Athenians and Spartans have rather similar unit rosters; Sparta has an architecture set of its own, while Athens heavily borrows from the Macedonian actors.

18 minutes ago, mimo said:

but still, when you say that things work or don't work, does that mean that it does what you want in game, or the structree works? Making it work in game should be straightforward (with what you describe, having only generic phases, with the wanted civ requirements in the  phase_metropolis_generic.json).

But as i said, i think the structree is broken when civs don't have the same phase sequences (it does not check for civ req when building the phaseList, and there is only one phaseList for all civs).

When I say something doesn't work, I mean it causes errors. And yes, it seems the problem is primarily with the structree. It did work in A22, though.

On 2/9/2019 at 10:58 PM, Nescio said:

the fourth phase doesn't show up:

Maybe you wanna take a look at /gui/reference/structree/draw.js. I was trying to make a mod to increase the size of the icons in the techtree screen and it was surprisingly hard to do. There's a lot of things hard-coded there. If I recall correctly the number of phases there is hard-coded to 3 as well. Good luck!

Edited by coworotel

13 hours ago, Nescio said:

What do you mean exactly? Those visualizations are already optional:

Basically what I said.  I haven't kept too up to date on the game and wasn't aware of that feature.  Thanks for answering.

13 hours ago, Nescio said:

To start with, if Athens and Sparta, then why not Argos, Corinth, Thebes, Syracusae, etc. as well?

Exactly.  Finally someone understands my pain. :P  Definitely there are similarities.  I'd even argue that some of the more famous ancient sources are responsible for some of the broad stereotypes, especially in the case of Sparta.

structree does not hardcode anything related to phases. It is parsed along with the techs. It takes any tech starting with "phase" while doing that. (at least i think that's how it is.)

Edited by Guest

7 hours ago, Thorfinn the Shallow Minded said:

Finally someone understands my pain. :P  

?

11 hours ago, coworotel said:

Maybe you wanna take a look at /gui/reference/structree/draw.js. I was trying to make a mod to increase the size of the icons in the techtree screen and it was surprisingly hard to do. There's a lot of things hard-coded there. If I recall correctly the number of phases there is hard-coded to 3 as well. Good luck!

Modifying the GUI is time consuming and frustrating; I was hoping to avoid it.

5 hours ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Are you sure? Delenda Est quite easily displays 4 phases in structree.

The difference is Delenda Est has a fourth phase for all factions, whilst I want it only for three.

Things I'd like to include in my mod if someone (@Alexandermb, @LordGood, @stanislas69, anyone else?) could create them for me:

• Seleucid palace
  • Roman rotary mill
  • Gaul infantry archer (b/a/e)
  • Libyan infantry pikeman (b/a/e) [Cart]
  • Libyan infantry javelinist (b/a/e) [Cart]
  • Numidian infantry javelinist mercenary (b/a/e) [Rome]
  • bigae (light two-horse chariot):
    • Kushite biga archer champion [Kush]
    • Libyan biga archer mercenary (b/a/e) [Cart]
    • Libyan biga javelinist mercenary (b/a/e) [Cart, Pers]
  • long and narrow field plots with a 1:10 width:depth ratio, e.g. 9×90 footprint instead of current 28×28
  • rubble/destruct_stone_{2x4, 2x3, 3x2, 3x4, 4x3} (4x2 already exists)
  • foundation/fndn_{2x3, 3x2, 3x4, 4x3, 6x3} (3x6 already exists) and {8x10, 8x12, 10x8, 10x10, 10x12, 12x8, 12x10, 12x12} (for wonders)

15 minutes ago, Nescio said:

foundation/fndn_{2x3, 3x2, 3x4, 4x3, 6x3} (3x6 already exists) and {8x10, 8x12, 10x8, 10x10, 10x12, 12x8, 12x10, 12x12} (for wonders)

That's in my todo list, however it's a pretty boring task, so it's not high priority.

16 minutes ago, Nescio said:

long and narrow field plots with a 1:10 width:depth ratio, e.g. 9×90 footprint instead of current 28×28

This will likely need a new texture. Or more, cause I expect you to want variations :)

17 minutes ago, Nescio said:
  • Seleucid palace
  • Roman rotary mill

We are gonna need references for those :)

2 hours ago, Nescio said:

bigae (light two-horse chariot):

• Kushite biga archer champion [Kush]

As Alexander said, it's in his horse update. Thanks to him for rigging, animating and actually getting the model in game... :) It was intended specifically for the hero Queen Amanirenas (chariotry was still around in the 500 BC - 1 BC timeframe, but not as common as it once was). I guess it could be adapted for a champion unit as well. It was originally decided to drop chariots because the Kushite roster is already so diverse and other factions don't have such a diverse roster.  

1697522643_Amanirenaschariot2.thumb.jpg.e1613cc17995e58e9b6dae3769ed1a7e.jpg

34753215_KingdomofKushKushitechariotAmanirenas0ADRTS.thumb.jpg.5e0bd8ca3acd4cebef18760b81df43bb.jpg

1327599497_TheKingdomofKushKushitecarvingreliefofachariotinprecessionMerotempleM250SunTemple.thumb.jpg.9ab1c9ceec9ad9ed3d5dea0a8aabd1a4.jpg

A new find in the excavation report of the first excavations of Meroë by Garstang himself. A Kushite chariot from a fragmented relief on the 1st century BC Meroitic period temple M 250 in Meroë (in a militaristic context of battles, massacres, marching soldiers, occupied villages etc). Similar to the fragmented reliefs of 2 chariots in the 1st century BC Meroitic period temple of Osiris in Napata, as well as the fragmented reliefs of chariots the 8th century BC, 25th dynasty reliefs of Piye in the Great Amun temple of Napata.

I could also give the "Libyan" chariot a go. Just to be clear, do you mean Libyan, or Garamantian chariot? https://africanrockart.britishmuseum.org/thematic/chariots-in-the-sahara/

Edited by Sundiata
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Sundiata said:

As Alexander said, it's in his horse update. Thanks to him for rigging, animating and actually getting the model in game... :) It was intended specifically for the hero Queen Amanirenas (chariotry was still around in the 500 BC - 1 BC timeframe, but not as common as it once was). I guess it could be adapted for a champion unit as well. It was originally decided to drop chariots because the Kushite roster is already so diverse and other factions don't have such a diverse roster.  

1697522643_Amanirenaschariot2.thumb.jpg.e1613cc17995e58e9b6dae3769ed1a7e.jpg

34753215_KingdomofKushKushitechariotAmanirenas0ADRTS.thumb.jpg.5e0bd8ca3acd4cebef18760b81df43bb.jpg

1327599497_TheKingdomofKushKushitecarvingreliefofachariotinprecessionMerotempleM250SunTemple.thumb.jpg.9ab1c9ceec9ad9ed3d5dea0a8aabd1a4.jpg

A new find in the excavation report of the first excavations of Meroë by Garstang himself. A Kushite chariot from a fragmented relief on the 1st century BC Meroitic period temple M 250 in Meroë (in a militaristic context of battles, massacres, marching soldiers, occupied villages etc). Similar to the fragmented reliefs of 2 chariots in the 1st century BC Meroitic period temple of Osiris in Napata, as well as the fragmented reliefs of chariots the 8th century BC, 25th dynasty reliefs of Piye in the Great Amun temple of Napata.

I could also give the "Libyan" chariot a go. Just to be clear, do you mean Libyan, or Garamantian chariot? https://africanrockart.britishmuseum.org/thematic/chariots-in-the-sahara/

Wow, it's gorgeous!

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Sundiata said:

(chariotry was still around in the 500 BC - 1 BC timeframe, but not as common as it once was).

Chariotry and cavalry coexisted for centuries.

1 hour ago, av93 said:

Libyan, although Libya could be applied to basically everything west of Egypt. Presumably their chariots followed basically the same design as the Bronze Age Egyptian chariots.

Herodotus mentions Xerxes' army included Libyan (and Indian) chariots:

[86] Τούτων μὲν αὕτη ἡ μάχη, καὶ ἐπετετάχατο ἐς τοὺς Πέρσας· Μῆδοι δὲ τήν περ ἐν τῷ πεζῷ εἶχον σκευήν, καὶ Κίσσιοι ὡσαύτως. Ἰνδοὶ δὲ σκευῇ μὲν ἐσεσάχατο τῇ αὐτῇ καὶ ἐν τῷ πεζῷ, ἤλαυνον δὲ κέλητας καὶ ἅρματα· ὑπὸ δὲ τοῖσι ἅρμασι ὑπῆσαν ἵπποι καὶ ὄνοι ἄγριοι. Βάκτριοι δὲ ἐσκευάδατο ὡσαύτως καὶ ἐν τῷ πεζῷ, καὶ Κάσπιοι ὁμοίως. Λίβυες δὲ καὶ αὐτοὶ κατά περ ἐν τῷ πεζῷ· ἤλαυνον δὲ καὶ οὗτοι πάντες ἅρματα. ὣς δ᾿ αὕτως Κάσπιοι καὶ Παρικάνιοι ἐσεσάχατο ὁμοίως καὶ ἐν τῷ πεζῷ. Ἀράβιοι δὲ σκευὴν μὲν εἶχον τὴν αὐτὴν καὶ ἐν τῷ πεζῷ, ἤλαυνον δὲ πάντες καμήλους ταχυτῆτα οὐ λειπομένας ἵππων.

[86] This is their manner of fighting; their place in the army was with the Persians. The Median horse were equipped like their foot, and the Cissians likewise. The Indians were armed in like manner as their foot; they rode swift horses and drove chariots drawn by horses and wild asses. The Bactrians were equipped as were their foot, and the Caspians in like manner. The Libyans too were armed like the men of their infantry, and all of them too drove chariots. So likewise the Caspians and Paricanians were armed as the men of their infantry. The Arabians had the same equipment as the men of their infantry, and all of them rode on camels no less swift than horses.

— Herodotus VII.86; text and translation A. D. Godley (1922)

And their weapons:

[65] Ἰνδοὶ δὲ εἵματα μὲν ἐνδεδυκότες ἀπὸ ξύλων πεποιημένα, τόξα δὲ καλάμινα εἶχον καὶ ὀιστοὺς καλαμίνους· ἐπὶ δὲ σίδηρος ἦν. ἐσταλμένοι μὲν δὴ ἦσαν οὕτω Ἰνδοί, προσετετάχατο δὲ συστρατευόμενοι Φαρναζάθρῃ τῷ Ἀρταβάτεω.

[65] The Indians wore garments of tree-wool [cotton], and carried bows of reed and iron-tipped arrows of the same. Such was their equipment; they were appointed to march under the command of Pharnazathres son of Artabates.

[...]

[70] Τῶν μὲν δὴ ὑπὲρ Αἰγύπτου Αἰθιόπων καὶ Ἀραβίων ἦρχε Ἀρσάμης, οἱ δὲ ἀπὸ ἡλίου ἀνατολέων Αἰθίοπες (διξοὶ γὰρ δὴ ἐστρατεύοντο) προσετετάχατο τοῖσι Ἰνδοῖσι, διαλλάσσοντες εἶδος μὲν οὐδὲν τοῖσι ἑτέροισι, φωνὴν δὲ καὶ τρίχωμα μοῦνον· οἱ μὲν γὰρ ἀπὸ ἡλίου Αἰθίοπες ἰθύτριχες εἰσί, οἱ δ᾿ ἐκ τῆς Λιβύης οὐλότατον τρίχωμα ἔχουσι πάντων ἀνθρώπων. οὗτοι δὲ οἱ ἐκ τῆς Ἀσίης Αἰθίοπες τὰ μὲν πλέω κατά περ Ἰνδοὶ ἐσεσάχατο, προμετωπίδια δὲ ἵππων εἶχον ἐπὶ τῇσι κεφαλῇσι σύν τε τοῖσι ὠσὶ ἐκδεδαρμένα καὶ τῇ λοφιῇ· καὶ ἀντὶ μὲν λόφου ἡ λοφιὴ κατέχρα, τὰ δὲ ὦτα τῶν ἵππων ὀρθὰ πεπηγότα εἶχον· προβλήματα δὲ ἀντ᾿ ἀσπίδων ἐποιεῦντο γεράνων δοράς.

[70] The Ethiopians above Egypt [Kush] and the Arabians had Arsames for commander, and the Ethiopians of the east (for there were two kinds of them in the army) served with the Indians; they differed nothing in appearance from the others, but only in speech and hair; for the Ethiopians from the east are straight-haired, but they of Libya have of all men the woolliest hair. These Ethiopians of Asia were for the most part armed like the Indians; but they wore on their heads the skins of horses’ foreheads, stripped from the head with ears and mane; the mane served them for a crest, and they wore the horses’ ears stiff and upright; for shields they had bucklers of cranes’ skin.

[71] Λίβυες δὲ σκευὴν μὲν σκυτίνην ἤισαν ἔχοντες, ἀκοντίοισι δὲ ἐπικαύτοισι χρεώμενοι, ἄρχοντα δὲ παρείχοντο Μασσάγην τὸν Ὀαρίζου.

[71] The Libyans came in leathern garments, using javelins of charred wood. Their commander was Massages son of Oarizus.

— Herodotus VII.65, 70, 71; text and translation A. D. Godley (1922)

Edited by Nescio
equipment

17 hours ago, stanislas69 said:

That's in my todo list, however it's a pretty boring task, so it's not high priority.

It might be tedious, but it is something that will be useful for factions and mods beyond 0 A.D.'s timeframe.

Ideally there ought to be the following (41) sizes for both rubble and foundations:

(1) for towers:
1x1

(25) for ordinary structures:
2x2, 2x3, 2x4, 2x5, 2x6,
3x2, 3x3, 3x4, 3x5, 3x6,
4x2, 4x3, 4x4, 4x5, 4x6,
5x2, 5x3, 5x4, 5x5, 5x6,
6x2, 6x3, 6x4, 6x5, 6x6.

(15) for wonders:
—, 6x8, 6x10, 6x12,
8x6, 8x8, 8x10, 8x12,
10x6, 10x8, 10x10, 10x12,
12x6, 12x8, 12x10, 12x12.

Currently existing rubble (`destruct_stone_`): 2x2, 3x3, 4x2, 4x4, 4x6, 5x5, 6x4, 6x6 (8)

Currently existing foundations (`fndn_`): 1x1, 2x2, 2x4, 3x3, 3x6, 4x2, 4x4, 4x6, 5x5, 6x4, 6x6, 8x8 (12)

[EDIT]: approximate wonder sizes: athen 6x12, brit 11x11, cart 6x12, gaul 11x11, iber 8x8, kush 9x12, mace 6x12, maur 11x11, pers 12x12, ptol 9x12, rome 8x10, sele 6x12, spart 7x12.

Edited by Nescio
wonders

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, nani said:

I wonder if this could be made as dynamic sizes and not presets ... ?

Nice job anyway :thumbsup:

Well you could generate 3D Models on the fly and load them but that sounds like a mess.

Then the decals are actors so you can change the depth and width. You could then reload them on the fly. But all of that seems wasteful. (not as wasteful as doing them one by one but still)

• Like 2