===[TASK]=== Kushite Units, Unit Textures, and Unit Props

wowgetoffyourcellphone

30 minutes ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

I have a project with @s0600204  o selector screen. I need your support too.

If it works out good, then I think it would be an excellent choice to give this to the Kushites. When phasing up to Town Phase, player chooses Amun or Apedemak. This unlocks different temples, which have unique techs and access to different champions.

What do you think @Sundiata

• Like 1

@LordGood Wow, fantastic looking unit! The scale armour looks really cool. The lion head dress, as an imitation of Apedemak, looks amazing. Detail on the axe... mmmm

One awkward request though, the lion temples are mostly in the southern half of Kush around Meroe, where people were very dark skinned. Could you darken him up to show this defining ethnic feature of Meroites? 

@wowgetoffyourcellphone I'm not familiar with the project, but  you can definitely go ahead with it for DE. For TM/vanilla, let's see what players prefer. It's interesting though, I just think it would be nice to be able to build both temples on the map, but maybe that's just my obsession with the aesthetics and historicity of the game.

Edited by Sundiata

41 minutes ago, Sundiata said:

@wowgetoffyourcellphone I'm not familiar with the project, but  you can definitely go ahead with it for DE. For TM/vanilla, let's see what players prefer. It's interesting though, I just think it would be nice to be able to build both temples on the map, but maybe that's just my obsession with the aesthetics and historicity of the game.

Right, but what I propose explicitly makes clear the important break between Meroe and Napata. You as the leader of your Kushites choose whether to stay true to the priesthood of Amun or favor the cult of Apedemak instead.

To make TM simpler though, it'd probably just be easier to allow the player to build 2 different temples.

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone
  • Like 2

I totally understand your point, and it's valid as the break from the Napatan dogmas was political and eroded the power of the priests of Amun, but it didn't destroy it. Outwardly, the Kings still revered Amun and built Amun temples until the third century AD. Many important sites feature both temples.

But I do really like the idea, and it does emphasise the evolution from Napatan to Meroitic Kush quite nicely.

• Like 2

We should make sure that the Kushites don't get access to too many different champions (at the same time), it would make them really OP i think. Doing both a full mercenary roster ánd a diverse champion roster is also going to be problematic.

Having a generic temple that can upgrade to select between a champion units could be one way of addressing this problem (though we should take a little care with the unique techs too because that could also be a source of OP-ishness if you get what I mean...)

• Like 2

@wowgetoffyourcellphone Man, awesome! If there's any unit that should/could have a club, it would be the Nuba mercs, and the body painting and primitive look is perfect for this particular unit. Good job!

The maces in Lion's image are very similar/the same as the mace-heads found in Kush. They're an option too, but I think they might have had a semi-ritual/symbolic purpose, used by nobles and royals for executions, and perhaps for palace guards, as illustrated in the shared image.

Maybe maces and clubs could be alternate variations for the Nuba mercs?

The following post depicts 6 different mace-heads

@niektb That's kind of what I'm worried about. Kushites are going to be so "badass" people will complain, but I don't want to handicap them or sell them short either, so this is a subject that will need to be discussed further.

Edited by Sundiata

I have a habit of going way too dark with my shading and color multiply layers, then hitting my painting with like 3 lighting layers. Suprise suprise, that washes out skin tone lol

I'm partial to lion-man, the classical Meriotic superhero, but temple guardsman's got more than enough bronze

ApedemakWarrior.pngAmunWarrior.png

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

@LordGood Man, you're on fire! 

The speed at which you work astounds me. I'm just here gathering courage to continue my own illustrations, which take days and even weeks, lol...

A heads up, I'm working on the Noble Meroitic Cavalry lancer, but I keep rethinking the concept based on the recent references I'm finding. I'm sort of set on how it should look now, just need to adjust what I already did.

3 minutes ago, stanislas69 said:

Is it me or does they look short ? Woupd make nice icons !

They are short, but I'm short too. Didn't people used to be shorter back when? I dunno. Tech icons maybe? I'm not doing unit icons again, it'd be weird to only have a couple of them. Also they might get awful if they get scaled down to 1282

@LordGood Really, I just want to emphasise again how cool I think these illustrations look! I really love the way you're using the references. The details, like that trapezoid sash underneath the loincloth of the khopesh wielding unit. The sandals. The bronze skullcap. His ankh on a chain of golden/bronze spheres, his elaborate "Egyptian" necklace and the bronze scale armour is the exactly the same type as I'm using for the noble lancer. It's a very intuitive use of the elements we can be relatively sure of.

After intensively scouring the internet and books for more than half a year, I can say with some confidence that these illustrations (especially the axe-men and the khopesh guy), are the most accurate tentative reconstructions of Kushite melee units from the Napatan and Meroitic period ever created/published! Their value can't be underestimated... 

In terms of height, Kushites were known to be very tall, even by classical writers. Related tribes in the southern Sudan are among the tallest ethnicities in the world today, like Dinka who have reached average heights of 1.83m (men at c. 1.90 and women at 1.80!)