Visibility of Units

Typhoon

Hey there,

First post for me on this forums.

What I immediately noticed is that the different units are hard to visualize (maybe it is done on purpose), but from a user friendliness point of view, I think it could help, especially new players to see and understand more, what is going on on the screen. It would also give more value to the different unit types. When you look at AoE 2 (not to mention other RTS games like Starcraft, Warcraft, etc.), you see very clearly what is which unit, which is also due to the 2D graphics.

Another point I like to make is the player coulours are hard to see on units, which is also not very good to visualize what is happening.

Kind Regards,

Ben

I don't really know what you mean by "some players use interface" ? I think most players use it, no? And what do you mean with the formations full implemented? You mean that I will recognize different unit types based on their respective formation?

He meant that people usually zoom in or out to see what's going on.

I think what he means is that you'll see more easily your units if they are in formation.

About visibility the tab key can help you see your units in battle

Also double clicking on a unit selects related units so that might help too.

• Like 2

Ok, but is the zooming in and out really a good feature for a fluid gameplay experience? I mean, i would even prefer a fixed camera, even if it forces everyone to play more zoomed in. Because playing zoomed out is really good to overview, but for microing it's really bad.

Can't say. Sadly there isn't much I can do to help you.

I can only say this though : the more you play the easier it will be to distinguish your units. At first it'll be a messy and then it'll be your mess.

Hope you'll still have fun with the game and if you are bored feel free to try out gameplay mods and content mods. You'll find more in the modding section of this forum.

• Like 1

I personally love zooming in and out, to catch a glimpse of all those beautiful details, as well as getting a good overview. I'd even like the camera to be less restricted... Seen as 0 A.D. is a historic RTS, it's difficult to compare to many other RTS out there that really don't focus on realism. Exaggerated or overly stylised units would reduce the immersiveness of the current game.  

0 A.D. is not League of Legends, Starcraft or Command and Conquer, and I for one am very happy it didn't take that route. I think 0 A.D. is much more beautiful because of it.

• Like 3

On 29.07.2017 at 2:14 AM, Typhoon said:

Another point I like to make is the player coulours are hard to see on units, which is also not very good to visualize what is happening.

I agree with @Sundiata, zooming is the good tool to overview all battlefields, cities, how they look like. Also I don't like many player's colors on units/building, it looks too cartoonly and oddly.

I've never met topic restrictions with visualizations, usually I have selected units in a battle, to see what's happening.

Also zoom out isn't bad for mircoactions, because you could control the greater number of units/building (what I do usually) and see the danger faster.

Edited by vladislavbelov
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, vladislavbelov said:
11 hours ago, Sundiata said:

I personally love zooming in and out, to catch a glimpse of all those beautiful details, as well as getting a good overview. I'd even like the camera to be less restricted... Seen as 0 A.D. is a historic RTS, it's difficult to compare to many other RTS out there that really don't focus on realism. Exaggerated or overly stylised units would reduce the immersiveness of the current game.  

0 A.D. is not League of Legends, Starcraft or Command and Conquer, and I for one am very happy it didn't take that route. I think 0 A.D. is much more beautiful because of it.

I agree with @Sundiata, zooming is the good tool to overview all battlefields, cities, how they look like. Also I don't like many player's colors on units/building, it looks too cartoonly and oddly.

I've never met topic restrictions with visualizations, usually I have selected units in a battle, to see what's happening.

Also zoom out isn't bad for mircoactions, because you could control the greater number of units/building (what I do usually) and see the danger faster.

My opinion is also in parallel with these two guys.

• Like 1

I think there are different logics to look at this point: I agree with most of you, that realism is something a lot of games miss and that this game is a beauty in its own sense. I see it from a gamers point of view, who likes to maybe play a game competitively and my concern is coming out of that corner. At some point, the graphics are not so important anymore, it's the gameplay which will be key when you play like that. I also see it from the point of an observerfriendly experience. Most games I personnaly like to play, are also games which are nice to spectate, to watch replays and streams; if you don't recognize the units easily, it becomes quite hard on the eye. But I really understand the points you made :).

• Like 1