Logo Theft?

Phalanx

1 minute ago, stanislas69 said:

Well the only question is did they give proper credit :)

No. The question is also whether they make their art available under the same license  (or at least any art that is based on cc-by-sa art, exactly what happens when you combine art with different licenses is too complicated for non-lawyers to discuss generally =) ). :-P

If they only use art from others I guess that point is quite moot though. *rolleyes*

But generally speaking they are allowed to use our art, as long as they give credit and make anything they create based on it available under the same license. That doesn't go for non-free/CC/OS Art though. That's a clear violation of the law.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, feneur said:

No. The question is also whether they make their art available under the same license  (or at least any art that is based on cc-by-sa art, exactly what happens when you combine art with different licenses is too complicated for non-lawyers to discuss generally =) ). :-P

If they only use art from others I guess that point is quite moot though. *rolleyes*

But generally speaking they are allowed to use our art, as long as they give credit and make anything they create based on it available under the same license. That doesn't go for non-free/CC/OS Art though. That's a clear violation of the law.

Is any thing we can do?

2 hours ago, stanislas69 said:

So they should provide some kind of zip with their modified textures ?

I don't think we have specified how we want it, nor is there any general recommendation that I am aware of. But that would be one option yes.

2 hours ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

Is any thing we can do?

Report them with evidence of copyright theft if the store allow you to do that.

• Like 2

@feneur Maybe we should ? I mean I guess that's the point of our license after all.

Small question. Would I be able to sell the models I made for 0ad on let's say the unity store if I provide a link to here ? Would kind of destroy the point of selling them but I'm curious. Could be pocket money I could invest in tutorials to improve skills.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stanislas69 said:

@feneur Maybe we should ? I mean I guess that's the point of our license after all.

Small question. Would I be able to sell the models I made for 0ad on let's say the unity store if I provide a link to here ? Would kind of destroy the point of selling them but I'm curious. Could be pocket money I could invest in tutorials to improve skills.

You certainly can sell them. And while we might not have stated it recently we have at least previously had the opinion that the creator of something is free to decide if he/she does something else with the content. (Obviously you would have to abide by the license if you are e.g. using an existing texture etc, but for something you have created from scratch.)

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, feneur said:

And while we might not have stated it recently we have at least previously had the opinion that the creator of something is free to decide if he/she does something else with the content. (Obviously you would have to abide by the license if you are e.g. using an existing texture etc, but for something you have created from scratch.)

There is a section in Creative Commons FAQ on this subject: https://creativecommons.org/faq/#can-i-enter-into-separate-or-supplemental-agreements-with-users-of-my-work

and something like a short summary in another section of the same FAQ:

All CC licenses are non-exclusive: creators and owners can enter into additional, different licensing arrangements for the same material at any time (often referred to as “dual-licensing” or “multi-licensing”). However, CC licenses are not revocable once granted unless there has been a breach, and even then the license is terminated only for the breaching licensee.

So, by releasing your work under a CC license, you grant people permission to use the work under the license terms, but you don't restrict yourself from using it in other ways / dual-licensing it etc.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LordGood said:

Let me know how that pans out stan. Only trouble is that these models can be dug out of our various repositories for free, really. Though it must seem much more convenient for unity users if they do want to spend the money

Yeah I'll make sure to keep you updated mate. People like easy things.

I'll start selling helmets as textures are mine and then sell stuff like buildings for rote to test.

I think the best way to clear any CC-BY-SA violations is to talk to the commercial game developers and point out what they have to do to be in compliance with the CC-BY-SA license. For example, make them aware, that they have to give credit to the creator or creators of CC-BY or CC-BY-SA licensed art and models.

• Like 1

@stanislas69 You do a lot of work on 0 A.D. and if you are a student, maybe there are better ways to make sure you receive some financial support or stipends. Some people use various ways of crowdsourcing, such as Kickstarter, Patreon and others.  Google Summer of Code and Gnome Outreachy might apply to you. However, if nothing applies to you, then maybe there is a way to create a program which is more specific to 0 A.D. or open source games in general. The problem with most of the existing programs is, that they apply mostly for programmers.

@balduin I think @elexis attempted Google summer of code and it didn't work, the other thing you proposed unless I pretend to be someone else doesn't work either.

I can't open a patreon because I don't have a steady supply of models and to Kickstarter you need a good project :)

I'm not sure why they would have been better ways though ?