===[COMMITTED]=== Spartan Structures

LordGood

lol that's the plan, Stan

The state of the pack has the normal maps and spec maps split still. The metopes, if you've noticed, along with all of the rest of the player color are showing up black. I don't know if the metope sculptures are subtle diffuse textures or are purely normal mapped. I could have just completely lost them from the translation from .DDS to .PNG

Also as you can see I got plenty of extra room for other textures, I think maybe introducing mud bricks could be interesting for more rural architecture?

sparta_struct.png

What I found the best way to preserve alpha in GIMP is as soon as you open a file with transparency, whether it's a png or a dds, is to separate the alpha map and use it as mask (Click add mask on the layer, and select "alpha layer of the channel or something similar)

I don't think they were normal mapped, or at least I think that if they were, the normal map was generated from the diffuse, so its details are still there.

Well you have space for banners if needed, maybe tents or something so that their future market have something nice. Maybe one shield or two ?

It'd be nice to update the jars paintings, maybe there are some that might be more spartan ?

• Like 1

I looked more closely on the spartan and athen buildings:

It seems like some athen buildings use doric columns (hellenic royal stoa, athenian  wonder, poritco and gymnasion), while they should use iconic columns.

All current spartan buildings seem to use doric columns. Only the current market uses the iconic columns.

• Like 1

Athenians can use doric columns, their most iconic temple is of the doric order lol.

And Gimp doesn't open .dds, not without plugins, anyway. I'm not worried about the pottery paintings, since they're so small. though I agree black figure pottery would be a neat change. The only question to me would be whether to give black figure to the spartans or athenians.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LordGood said:

Athenians can use doric columns, their most iconic temple is of the doric order lol.

And Gimp doesn't open .dds, not without plugins, anyway. I'm not worried about the pottery paintings, since they're so small. though I agree black figure pottery would be a neat change. The only question to me would be whether to give black figure to the spartans or athenians.

Which of the civs is the darkest ? :P

Also would be really cool to have a Poseidon statue. Could be used by delenda east too.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, LordGood said:

Ouh, I always thought, they use only iconic. :D

Autocorrect strikes again? :P

13 hours ago, LordGood said:

If it isn't too much work and won't violate historical accuracy, it could make sense though to give one of them only Doric and the other only Ionic columns to make them more recognizable in the game:

• Internal visual cohesion of the faction
  • Visual differentiation between the factions
  • Like 1

It's more work than what justifies the change, the factions ought to be plenty different once I'm through with them. The other issue being that ionic columns are only really read from one direction, so such capitals were usually used for that purpose and supported with the more simple doric columns. ionic columns facing the backs of other ionic columns is awkward and breaks immersion, for me at least.

lovely façade columns though

• Like 1

Sentry towers

I dunno, I'm pretty fond of these tiles. Romans are kind of pinkish, i want a nice red for sparta. the different faded color tiles are nice too. The normal maps are fine, they just got messed up in translation i guess? I can restore it easy enough in the gimp file

screenshot0118.png

• Like 6