Hyrule Conquest

2 hours ago, LordRequ1em said:

Well, here is the wall of text that comes up. I hope you can figure it out.

Do you have your opponent set up to Random? If so sometimes the AI it will spawn as Lon Lon Ranch, which is supposed to be a non-AI map specific faction that's only on Hyrule Field. It's trying to load the AI and apply it to Lon Lon Ranch but they don't have the necessary buildings for the AI and that's why it freaks out. For some reason 0AD sometimes picks non playable factions when you select Random. I think they fixed it in the upcoming 0.23.

23 hours ago, The Undying Nephalim said:

Do you have your opponent set up to Random? If so sometimes the AI it will spawn as Lon Lon Ranch, which is supposed to be a non-AI map specific faction that's only on Hyrule Field. It's trying to load the AI and apply it to Lon Lon Ranch but they don't have the necessary buildings for the AI and that's why it freaks out. For some reason 0AD sometimes picks non playable factions when you select Random. I think they fixed it in the upcoming 0.23.

Have you marked it in some way as unplayable?

5 hours ago, Imarok said:

Hmm, OK. If you discover it is not fixed in A23 ping me ;)

May I ping you? :P

Looks like it'll still happen in A23. Looking at gamesetup.js, the code that assigns a random civ to a player starts by making a list of available "cultures" (filtering out unplayable civs so as not to add their "culture" to the list (unless they happen to share it with a playable civ)), then randomly chooses a civ from a randomly selected culture - but does not check if the civs it's selecting from are all playable. In other words, SelectableInGameSetup needs to be checked on line 2182.

So... do you want to fix it, or shall I?

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, s0600204 said:

May I ping you? :P

Looks like it'll still happen in A23. Looking at gamesetup.js, the code that assigns a random civ to a player starts by making a list of available "cultures" (filtering out unplayable civs so as not to add their "culture" to the list (unless they happen to share it with a playable civ)), then randomly chooses a civ from a randomly selected culture - but does not check if the civs it's selecting from are all playable. In other words, SelectableInGameSetup needs to be checked on line 2182.

So... do you want to fix it, or shall I?

Done.

See D1455

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I encourage you to use short range for LOS/Vision for now until there's some kind of "Engagement range" coded into the game. Lower vision range will help you/the player control the units better and they won't run off and attack whatever wanders into vision range.

Also, a suggestion/tip for your videos. If you really want to show off some detail with your units, you can unlock the camera by Ctrl-D. That way you can zoom in further than the hardcoded minimum for your videos.

Art tip: Use auto-smooth on the branch/leaf faces in the canopies of your trees. This will help alleviate that "planey" look to the treetops. 

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, The Undying Nephalim said:

They are auto-smoothed already. :laugh:

hmm, lol, then perhaps it's your positioning of them. Looks kind of random, also too many planes. Check out the Carob trees in-game to get a better view of how the geometry in a tree canopy should be structured. The Baobabs are good examples too. Basically, you want a kind of "layered" look to the canopy planes to give some good internal self-shadowing. When you have a lot of randomized planes like you have now you create these weird shadows and odd intersections, which don't look as good as they should since all of your other artwork is top notch. :) 

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone

When you started talking about the floating particles and how you couldn't do that in Medieval 2, it quickly reminded me of when you first brought up the concept of Creep several months back when the change from M2 to 0AD was still under consideration and not a done deal.

The thought of using the Creep mechanic to make the Gohma even more Zerg-like is one that fascinates me greatly. I haven't really been keeping up with the mod since the switch to 0AD so I wouldn't know if this has already been discussed to death but, hell, you might even be able to give the Gohma Shroud Walkers the ability to spread the influence of the Gohma/Sulkaris and have their status as a mobile Hive Node create some sort of Creep.

Speaking of Hive Nodes, what even are they? Are they superorganisms? 

54 minutes ago, Primal's Phase said:

When you started talking about the floating particles and how you couldn't do that in Medieval 2, it quickly reminded me of when you first brought up the concept of Creep several months back when the change from M2 to 0AD was still under consideration and not a done deal.

The thought of using the Creep mechanic to make the Gohma even more Zerg-like is one that fascinates me greatly. I haven't really been keeping up with the mod since the switch to 0AD so I wouldn't know if this has already been discussed to death but, hell, you might even be able to give the Gohma Shroud Walkers the ability to spread the influence of the Gohma/Sulkaris and have their status as a mobile Hive Node create some sort of Creep.

Speaking of Hive Nodes, what even are they? Are they superorganisms? 

Yes the Gohma will have a rudemantary Creep mechanic. At the moment it will actually work more like the Protoss Pylons (buildings have to be made within the radius of another building that generates the creep), the Creep will just be visual for now. I'm hoping down the road I can do more with it like have all the trees in the radius of a creep generator slowly rot.

The Shroud Walkers will work in 0AD. I think what I'll have them do is deploy like Siege Weapons. When they are stationary they generate territory and maybe you can lay eggs around them to create forward reinforcements closer to an enemy base.

The Gohma are pretty much a Superorganism. The Blue Fog that the Gohma generate is what they use to transfer information, orders, and knowledge to each other (essentially wizard-did-it pheromones). Sulkaris technically is not herself at this point of the game, her personality has been blended in with the rest of the Gohma and vice versa. That's why the other First Sages abandoned the use of the Gohma when they realized that they'd basically lose themselves trying to control them.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The Undying Nephalim said:

I've got a question and I'm curious, is it possible to make it so that certain factions are only selectable in certain modes? For example a faction that only appears on naval maps and not land maps, and vice versa?

You can change that in gamesetup.js

Hey there,

I have been working on the AI for Hyrule Conquest for a while now and have been focusing on the AI garrisoning units like Hydrophants and Chariots lately. I noticed that the movement of the Hydrophant was skippy and sometimes he would be completely unable to move for some reason. After testing for a few hours I came to an interesting conclusion.

Apparently, some of the obstruction boxes seem to overlap with the Hydrophant, which causes this to occur.
https://gyazo.com/cec4c29a680f459b6a804d0bc37f0cb8

I can put all the units in the Hydrophant, but not the one in the front row. I think this happens because the Hydrophant is trying to predict if anything overlaps and then finds the garrisoned units box as an overlap. Of course these are just my assumptions, but thought I'd mention this issue here to see if any of the original developers can confirm this.
https://gyazo.com/748f65a1e6a44fecc7b442de9da22e2e

• Stan` pinned this topic