Hyrule Conquest

On 1/30/2018 at 5:30 AM, The Undying Nephalim said:

The Kokiri will be next.

Are they going to be small? Weren't the kokiri in a permanent childlike state or did that change somewhere? I think they turned into the weird nuts in BOTW and WW.

I'm curious how a small unit will work. I think units use the obstruction radius to tell if they've hit something. They probably won't be too small so it doesn't matter.

Still:

Kokiri - The little green ninjas. I think they'll be neat.

4 hours ago, SirPope said:

Are they going to be small? Weren't the kokiri in a permanent childlike state or did that change somewhere?

Yup they are ageless and pretty small. Here's some renders of them from the total war version:

Spoiler

latest?cb=20150429040448
latest?cb=20150429040202
latest?cb=20150503023518

Their civ fits a Swarm/Ranged sort of theme. I'd probably liken them to Hobbits.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, SirPope said:

Are they going to be small? Weren't the kokiri in a permanent childlike state or did that change somewhere? I think they turned into the weird nuts in BOTW and WW.

I'm curious how a small unit will work. I think units use the obstruction radius to tell if they've hit something. They probably won't be too small so it doesn't matter.

Wait to get a load of the Minish, now they were pretty small units...

You don't realise how much space you clear when dealing with things like berries and trees till you have a faction(s) that don't.  Space is often a concern.

Zora Depository doesn't take food. I feel it should say so, if that's how it's meant to be.  While the Zora can hunt and fish and take berries for food, they're functionally terrible at it over longer distances because it must be dropped at the main building.

The Goron Rock Sirloin Mine is...confusing. Hear me out: You can farm it like a regular farm for Food. The building itself says it generates 1 food per 5 seconds. Your worker states he adds +1 food per second when garrisoned in a mine. And I'm not entirely certain whether half of this is working or not. And that's before the research that may or may not increase the trickle.

Goron version of the Postman Network tech(Shared line of sight to allies) costs nothing, takes no time, and does nothing.

The Gerudo version has a similar problem.

Ruby Guard have no attack, only a capture attack. Thus, they cannot actually fight units and defend their territory.

The 'no attack' thing also applies to Armos.

It's kinda hard to work out what you actually need to build to get the Gorons to City. This is mainly because only the Hot Springs is marked 'Town'.

Similar is true for the Zora.

Sometimes I get error spam, sometimes I don't. I wish I could say why and how.

Given half a chance, I'd let Lon Lon build houses and grow(But then I'm always weird like that).  Can't work out how I'd do that.

Goron AI doesn't play well with Peahats. It will ignore them entirely, and possibly have entire masses of workers doing other things chopped to pieces.

The Tribal Monks say they naturally regen-thus the only Goron unit to recover health. I don't believe they do currently. They have no regen listed in their stats, and I've watched them and not seen a single point of health recovered.

Zora River map; there are fish in the ground. South east of the standard start point.

Neither of the +1 Gatherer techs for Zora Fisheries and Coralmold Beds seem to work.

Edited by Bloodly
  • Like 3

The error spam part is fixed in the zip file I uploaded or the patch at moddb (see page 30 for links).

I noticed the shared los problem, It's a wrong tech name in their market. Needs to be: culture_civilized/postman_network instead of unlock_shared_los

Lon Lon's buildings do need a higher 'pop cap'. They can't train because they have ~38 units and only 20 max pop. Their cc could give a boost to it in their template.

The AI normally ignores animals that are aggressive (unless a soldier is close). They don't seem to actively clear them out of the way. So it's pretty much every civ on the peahat problem. It might be a lack of CitizenSoldier in some of the classes. Idk. I've noticed that they don't bother training anything but 'FemaleCitizens'. It kinda makes sense for them to do that, they are the best gatherers in this mod.

Edited by SirPope

On 2/11/2018 at 8:00 PM, Bloodly said:

The Goron Rock Sirloin Mine is...confusing. Hear me out: You can farm it like a regular farm for Food. The building itself says it generates 1 food per 5 seconds. Your worker states he adds +1 food per second when garrisoned in a mine. And I'm not entirely certain whether half of this is working or not. And that's before the research that may or may not increase the trickle.

It's intended to garrison workers in it to generate resources, but the AI cannot handle that at all. I had to make it farm-able or the AI would sit around and pick it's nose and do nothing. I have to make lots and lots of strange concessions that are radically different from my intent until certain features are put into 0AD.

Goron version of the Postman Network tech(Shared line of sight to allies) costs nothing, takes no time, and does nothing

Only Civs that are part of the "Civilized Culture" get the Postman Tech, Gorons should get normal cartography. Still a bug though.

Ruby Guard have no attack, only a capture attack. Thus, they cannot actually fight units and defend their territory.

The 'no attack' thing also applies to Armos

Hmmm the Armos and ruby guard seem to be attacking just fine for me.

It's kinda hard to work out what you actually need to build to get the Gorons to City. This is mainly because only the Hot Springs is marked 'Town'

Probably a leftover from another person who tried to help and screwed up all the classes for every building.

Given half a chance, I'd let Lon Lon build houses and grow(But then I'm always weird like that).  Can't work out how I'd do that.

Lon Lon should not be building anything, they are a Map specific faction with no AI at all. I need a custom AI that only does a few things; it completely breaks with Map factions because the AI in 0AD is designed to be used by every single faction, it's not faction specific, so it's looking up tons of buildings that Lon Lon does not have (like storehouses). AI for them has to be disabled until civ specific AI becomes a thing in 0AD.

The Tribal Monks say they naturally regen-thus the only Goron unit to recover health. I don't believe they do currently. They have no regen listed in their stats, and I've watched them and not seen a single point of health recovered.

Are you sure this is not in their stats, I'm looking right at it in the Tribal Monk's files:

<Health>
    <Max>125</Max>
	<IdleRegenRate>1</IdleRegenRate>
  </Health>

Neither of the +1 Gatherer techs for Zora Fisheries and Coralmold Beds seem to work.

It seems to be a 0AD problem, techs increasing farm capacity don't seem to work at all.

On 2/12/2018 at 11:36 PM, The Undying Nephalim said:

I have to make lots and lots of strange concessions that are radically different from my intent until certain features are put into 0AD.

If you are waiting on features that the community might or might not build, would it be easier to instead first port all the factions over into the current 0AD setup? This would get the game functional, then you can add the specific features and specialized resource gathering methods as they become available in the engine.  

Also, have a question for you regarding buildings. Gerudo and Goron structures are quite huge and do not fit well into the build area of their civ centers. Would you consider either increasing the percentage of the territory aura from the town center, or shrinking the buildings to fit better into 0AD's scale? 

• Like 1

On 2/12/2018 at 11:36 PM, The Undying Nephalim said:

Only Civs that are part of the "Civilized Culture" get the Postman Tech, Gorons should get normal cartography. Still a bug though.

Player_{civ}.xml has the wrong tech name then.

Perhaps setting some 'base' templates would help. Most of the information in your templates are copy and paste.

Look at template_{civ}_civic for example, they are the exact same for every single civ (except for the zora - see spoiler for a fix).

Spoiler

basic/template_civic is the information from any of the other civs civic templates.

template_zora_civic.xml

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<Entity parent="structures/basic/template_civic">
  <Footprint>
    <Circle radius="20.0"/>
    <Height>10.0</Height>
  </Footprint>
  <Obstruction>
    <Static width="33.0" depth="33.0"/>
  </Obstruction>
</Entity>

The base template would reduce bugs, speeds up additions, and lessen the upkeep. If you wanted to, give civic buildings more heath, you'd only need to adjust 1 file. You might want to do this with units but that seems like a lot of effort. Basically, if a tag or group of tags (or entire file) is the same for all the civs you have, make a basic template. Implementing this shouldn't take too long. The mass majority of it is hitting the delete key and renaming some things (renaming is also technically just hitting delete, and typing basic/). The {civ}_temps folder would just be used for additions to that civ. Idk, up to you. This might make the upgrade process easier as well.

Edited by SirPope
  • Like 1

On 30/01/2018 at 12:30 PM, The Undying Nephalim said:

The Kokiri will be next. Here's a list of all the playable factions and the rough order I'll be going in:

Okay thanks ! Also I wanted to know your opinion about something in Breath of the Wild (I know your opinion on the game itself ;)) : how do you feel about Zelda's character storyline during this game. I don't if you read the analysis but in fact it's a pretty good, well-thought one, almost as good as her storyline from Skyward Sword (best Zelda's storyline imo). What do you think (also I thought her personality and story kinda looked like your Tetralyna's) ?

18 hours ago, JorahtheFirstMan said:

Okay thanks ! Also I wanted to know your opinion about something in Breath of the Wild (I know your opinion on the game itself ;)) : how do you feel about Zelda's character storyline during this game. I don't if you read the analysis but in fact it's a pretty good, well-thought one, almost as good as her storyline from Skyward Sword (best Zelda's storyline imo). What do you think (also I thought her personality and story kinda looked like your Tetralyna's) ?

You fool, you have unleashed the beast that is a ranting Neph!

On 2/18/2018 at 1:39 PM, JorahtheFirstMan said:

: how do you feel about Zelda's character storyline during this game.

In all seriousness though I'm not really happy with how she turned out in that game. Part of the problem is her voice actress, which might be one of the worst acting jobs I've ever heard in such a huge budget game. Her character is also a bit schizophrenic and inconsistent; one moment she's a tough as nails no nonsense adventurer, then she's a socially maladjusted weirdo trying to get you to eat frogs, then the next moment she's an emotionally unstable wreck. There's no real natural transition between her jarring emotional states, probably due in part to the fractured "recovering lost memories" method of storytelling. For a character who supernaturally is supposed to embody wisdom in that universe she's also kind of a dolt in that game. :rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

They definitely could have improved on their storytelling. As for the acting, personally I thought it was mediocre (on pretty much all voiced characters, the only two that stood above the rest were the King and Urbosa); I've definitely experienced worse before. I tried to remind myself that sometimes even good actors can be ruined by bad writing, so gave her (Zelda's actress) the benefit of the doubt. It seems to me both story dialogue and dungeons may have been late additions in the development cycle. Hopefully they will improve on these weak points for the next major title. Actually, I found some of the voiceovers made by Zelda Universe on some of the older games to be on par with (if not better than) some of the voice acting that appeared in Breath of the Wild...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nukumnehtar said:

They definitely could have improved on their storytelling. As for the acting, personally I thought it was mediocre (on pretty much all voiced characters, the only two that stood above the rest were the King and Urbosa); I've definitely experienced worse before. I tried to remind myself that sometimes even good actors can be ruined by bad writing, so gave her (Zelda's actress) the benefit of the doubt. It seems to me both story dialogue and dungeons may have been late additions in the development cycle.

The strange thing is the actress that does the voice of Princess Zelda has done better jobs with other characters, notably in the Assassin's Creed series. I'm really not sure what happened this time around, I can only blame the direction the actress received. "Fake-y English accent and pretend you are about the cry constantly with every line, even when you are not sad!" :rolleyes:

I've had a theory that their localization budget was probably very low as I suspect they blew most of their budget on making the obnoxiously huge open world. Apparently the translation from Japanese is shoddy at best; there's lines in the English version of the game that are basically entirely made up and changed from the original dialog. You can tell what features of the game money and time went into (the overworld, the large assortment of weapons), and you can tell what areas received little attention (The comically tiny and incomplete dungeons... everything else).

1 hour ago, Nukumnehtar said:

Actually, I found some of the voiceovers made by Zelda Universe on some of the older games to be on par with (if not better than) some of the voice acting that appeared in Breath of the Wild..

I'll probably be considered a heretic for saying that the voice of Zelda from that old terrible 80's cartoon is a lot better than her voice in BOTW. :laugh:

Edited by The Undying Nephalim

Long-time lurker, (since 2014 back in TWCenter), first time poster. As a Kokiri player, I'm jazzed that they're next. Especially considering other factions I like, like the Sheika and Gohma, are still a long way off.

I heard you discussing Malanya. As a rustic god of horses, he would honestly fit well with Ordona. Maybe having him as the Titan? Or even just a nod to him in building or unit descriptions.

Edited by lovinglydull
  • Like 1

On 2/27/2018 at 10:46 AM, lovinglydull said:

As a Kokiri player, I'm jazzed that they're next.

I can't wait to get started on them. Unfortunately I've been stuck working on a cinematic that's been particularly brutal on me for one of the missions, it's almost done though:

Koloktos will be great once he's in the game with all those animated arms. 

• Like 2

The invisible Cucco is a reminder that they are far superior. Even if you do succeed in killing one, it will comeback and haunt you for all eternity. I am sorry to tell you this but once you've looked upon the ghost of a Cucco; you are essentially cursed for eternity. I urge you to never lookup on approach another chicken again. They may congregate and feast upon your flesh. In other words, assume their natural state. I shall pray for you. F F F F F F

Sorry couldn't help myself...

Awhile back it was said there's builds of the most recent version that don't require Tortoise, at least I think that's what was meant:

On 7/27/2017 at 7:18 AM, leper said:

You don't have to build the exe yourself since we do have windows autobuilds in the repo, which means that you don't need VS

Where might these be located? I figure I should probably start adding in the changes that have been put in since the .22 release.

• Stan` pinned this topic