Hyrule Conquest

On 12/28/2017 at 2:49 PM, elexis said:

@The Undying Nephalim can you try to add gui.scale = 2 to your user.cfg http://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/GameDataPaths and tell us if it's more acceptable to have those black horizontal and vertical lines on the buttons or more acceptable to not have the options in the user interface? (We have a bugfix for the font rendering if the scale isn't a multiple of 2)

Woops I missed this post. I just tried it out, but it enlarged all of the GUI for everything and not just the techtrees. For taking a screenshot of the techtree it should be fine though.

Edited by The Undying Nephalim
  • Thanks 1

At long last I got the guide for the first Civ done, the Kingdom of Hyrule:

Spoiler

q7zITnL.jpg

Download the PDF to check it out: https://orig00.deviantart.net/0a38/f/2017/363/4/d/koh_guide1_by_undyingnephalim-dbyacyr.pdf

Please keep in mind that the content of this guide is based on intent, and not what might be in the current version of Hyrule Conquest. Some aspects of gameplay are not implemented into the engine as of the posting of this guide.

2 hours ago, SirPope said:

Yup everything will be there. Just keep in mind that a lot of stuff on that wiki is still based on the Total War version of the game and not this one yet.

• Like 3

I just realized that houses only being allowed in neutral territory can lead to a population lock on small maps. Pretty much anything that is just neutral can lead to this in late game though. :/ So it's not really a big deal. You can have more than one in the tag that governs it though. Though anyone who's played this game would expand asap. I kinda like hyrule as an intro civ, teaches you how to do that.

To simulate the goron's build pattern, you could try setting the build distance. Similar to the CivCentre but using the Structure class instead. I think the distance is taken from the center of the building. I don't think the AI is set up for this though. There is a MinDistance tag you can use as well as a MaxDistance. I'd probably leave the storehouse, market, farms free. IDK, you'd have to play it after making the changes. I like the idea of the limited range of building. It makes it seem more like a city/mountain would.

Edited by SirPope

1 hour ago, SirPope said:

I just realized that houses only being allowed in neutral territory can lead to a population lock on small maps

They are not limited to neutral territory, you can still build them inside your territory ring.

To simulate the goron's build pattern, you could try setting the build distance. Similar to the CivCentre but using the Structure class instead. I think the distance is taken from the center of the building. I don't think the AI is set up for this though. There is a MinDistance tag you can use as well as a MaxDistance. I'd probably leave the storehouse, market, farms free. IDK, you'd have to play it after making the changes. I like the idea of the limited range of building. It makes it seem more like a city/mountain would.

There's still a few minor issues that this would not solve. What I'm trying to do would involve buildings phasing into each other, their collision would intersect. A player would be unable to place the building without it showing up red because it would be on the collision of another building. Secondly the Goron buildings would need to auto-rotate to always face away from the center building.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, The Undying Nephalim said:

How do I go about installing this patch to 0.22? I can't seem to find any instruction on how to get it to work in Atlas.

Patch's author still works on it. You can install it on SVN (with a nearest to patch version, because it may have conflicts with the current version).

Download patch (diff) from https://code.wildfiregames.com/D825 and apply it on the repo (how to get repo): 

patch -p1 < patch.diff

And compile the game.

Let's wait for the countdown of the official release.

@The Undying Nephalim

The.Zip version: https://www.dropbox.com/s/9mykuqcoa7qhqno/Hyrule.zip? Dl=0            I can't download it to it, you can upload it to https://github.com/ I know it's my Internet reason. Please upload it here, thank you.  

Edited by gameboy

@The Undying Nephalim Really neat and seems to be working well. Only thing I found so far was that you turned the gerudo's corral into a field.

gerudo_corral.xml - it is a corral after all. It also needs the Corral class. You don't need the ResourceSupply part as they gather from the animals. Don't forget to update the citizens build list.

Even though I point all this out:

I can't seem to get them to build it or train anything (Even after the resource supplies are gone). Anyone want to chime in with corral logic? What class / naming scheme does everything need to be for a corral only civ to work?

Edited by SirPope

Only thing I found so far was that you turned the gerudo's corral into a field.

I can't seem to get them to build it or train anything

This is why I made them fields and have them generate food on their own: the AI simply runs out of food and fails to do anything. It's the same thing with the Goron mines, I specifcally want workers to garrison inside the mines to collect food but the AI doesnt seem to be able to handle it, so I had to turn them into farms.

1 hour ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Gameplay wise I kind of think factions have too many units, but maybe it's just a first impression. Too much text in the tooltip makes it difficult to parse what each unit is good for.

Some unit roles still depend on features that are not in the engine yet like Stealth, Knockback, Critical Hits, etc.

After an indepth watch of the AI... You've removed some classes from buildings with the minus sign. -Blacksmith and -DefensiveTower. -Temple -Storehouse -Farmstead... probably a few others.

The AI is just spam building blacksmiths and towers. It uses these classes to count how many it has built. It's counting zero so it goes to build another one. If you don't want them to be shown you can put them in the <Classes> tag. Some blacksmiths are name Military in the tooltip which is throwing me off.

The minus sign seems to be used everywhere... I thought it was just the new civ's but it's... it's all of them.

@mimo You wouldn't happen to have a list of classes the AI uses would you?

Edited by SirPope

5 hours ago, SirPope said:

After an indepth watch of the AI... You've removed some classes from buildings with the minus sign. -Blacksmith and -DefensiveTower. -Temple -Storehouse -Farmstead... probably a few others.

These classes were minused out by someone who was attempting to help clean up my files without realizing the AI looked up classes to determine what it builds. I actually had to go through and add the classes back in, in particular all the Village and Town classes which ruined the ability to go between phase levels. Looks like I missed a few. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Woaw I just played with the Zora for the first time and it's sooo darn cool. Neph, I follow your works still 2013 and I am so glad you've found a game you can do what you want with. As a big fan of your lore, I'd like to know if Hyrule Historia will be in it, and will the story be different ? WIll there be cinematics ?

Edited by JorahtheFirstMan

Well here's an odd bug I've noticed. I've set all the 0AD factions to "SelectableInGameSetup": false, as well as Map specific Civ that's supposed to be non-playable in my mod. However if a player selects Random as their Civ they occasionally spawn as the unplayable Civ. Is there something I'm missing or is this a bug?

9 hours ago, JorahtheFirstMan said:

Woaw I just played with the Zora for the first time and it's sooo darn cool. Neph, I follow your works still 2013 and I am so glad you've found a game you can do what you want with. As a big fan of your lore, I'd like to know if Hyrule Historia will be in it, and will the story be different ? WIll there be cinematics ?

Yes I'll eventually port over all the Hyrule Historia missions, though I think there's a few features not in 0AD yet that will be needed to replicate them. I don't think the engine supports pre-rendered cinematics at the moment. I'm personally hoping a more file size friendly video format gets supported unlike Medieval 2. .wmv or .mp4 would be great.

Edited by The Undying Nephalim
  • Like 1

On 1/5/2018 at 10:01 AM, The Undying Nephalim said:

This is why I made them fields and have them generate food on their own: the AI simply runs out of food and fails to do anything. It's the same thing with the Goron mines, I specifcally want workers to garrison inside the mines to collect food but the AI doesnt seem to be able to handle it, so I had to turn them into farms.

Can this can be fixed? Having the miners garrison the structures for income is an interesting mechanic.

On 1/5/2018 at 10:01 AM, The Undying Nephalim said:

Some unit roles still depend on features that are not in the engine yet like Stealth, Knockback, Critical Hits, etc.

All these are good features, I hope these get added soon.

Questions: 

I know I've asked this before but how are mercenaries going to work in the game?

How does armor and damage work? I don't quite get the mechanics. Does it work as damage minus the product of damage multiplied by 0.(armor) or is it damage minus armor?

14 hours ago, Ozerol Notna said:

1. Can this can be fixed? Having the miners garrison the structures for income is an interesting mechanic

2. I know I've asked this before but how are mercenaries going to work in the game?

3. How does armor and damage work? I don't quite get the mechanics. Does it work as damage minus the product of damage multiplied by 0.(armor) or is it damage minus armor?

1. Might be possible, an aura or something that is activated when garrisoned. TrickleRate for X. I'm not sure if this will work but it should. The AI will ignore it though so it would still have to function the same. Basically: Yes. Not recommended though.

2. Buildings, the Inn and such, page 27. There are some that will need capturing (Lon Lon ranch, Armo's).

3. I doubt it's Damage-Armor as that could lead to healing. 10-25 = -15... (HP)100 - (-15). 100+15. Probably the 0.(Armor), that'd make the most sense. Someone told me that +1 Armor is about the same as 10% of the hp. If that helps any.

@The Undying Nephalim

I'm looking through the templates again and I'm noticing some oddities with class naming. dropoff-site and civil-centre; these are the same as Dropsite and CivilCentre classes. For the next release, I recommend a fix/clean up as well as an aura/tech check. Every _temp folders xml's VisibleClasses could be added to the Classes tags. This will allow a much easier way of cleaning the tooltip and fixing the AI. Several buildings seem to need a different VisibleClass to display in the tooltip so it wouldn't break anything.

I'm currently reinstalling the mod, I'm going to try and fix it on my end. If I get it done and it works, I'll upload a zip file. I'll also try and find the corral problem as that is my main concern/confusion. I haven't really looked at the Unit's templates just yet. If their _temp files do the same I'd copy&paste them to the <Classes> tag.

As for the not select-able in startup yet random selection, yeah I think you found a bug there. You might want to create a ticket. Honestly, I'd just remove them from players, and place the buildings on the map in Atlas. They should function the same. LonLonRanch doesn't have a population increase so the AI won't use it effectively until you add that (preferably a small sized building so they stay in the area).

Garrison for resources already works, the buildings passively add 1+ of it's resource every 5 seconds. Adding a workers adds a.... +1 on top of that for a whopping +4 per 5 seconds with 3 workers inside (I dunno if that's actually a good rate it just seems small to me.). At the same time tho at the moment they can be mined. Before the public release with the minor updates this led to the AI Goron/Zoras building tons of farms/material buildings and a ton of Civvie military units.

On 04/01/2018 at 9:29 AM, The Undying Nephalim said:

A zip, great, now I can finally have a look at what you've been doing :)

You have to correct your mod.json file: right now Hyrule is listed as "game", but it's not a stand-alone game, it's a mod; if you try to run Hyrule without 0ad you get lots of errors. To prevent that, replace your mod.json file with e.g.:

{
  "name": "Hyrule Conquest",
  "version": "1.01",
  "label": "Hyrule Conquest",
  "url": "https://wildfiregames.com/forum/index.php?/topic/22638-hyrule-conquest/&",
  "description": "A Real-Time Strategy mod set in the Legend of Zelda universe.",
  "dependencies": ["0ad=0.0.22"],
  "type": "mod"
}

Also, when loading the tech trees, there are quite a few warnings.

16 hours ago, Ozerol Notna said:

How does armor and damage work? I don't quite get the mechanics. Does it work as damage minus the product of damage multiplied by 0.(armor) or is it damage minus armor?

No and no (I'm assuming this mod doesn't overhaul armour mechanics). AoE uses linear armour. AoM uses percentage armour. 0 A.D. uses exponential armour (if I recall correctly; there was an explanatory page on the subject somewhere).

• Stan` pinned this topic