Hyrule Conquest

Been testing out the Patreon subscriber early download for the Zoras and Gorons. First of all, ZORAAAAAAAA!!!!! Seriously, the mage tower defenses backed by canons and heavy shock troops was hilarious. The Gorons would come hobbling to my defense zones and get demolished. Secondly, the game feels much more dynamic with multiple factions to choose from. I played a round in Hyrule field with Hylians v Gerudo v Gorons v Zoras. The various styles of unit trees and architecture made it more of a challenge. Gorons surrounded me on all sides and deployed a series of bomb towers to go after my outermost buildings and resource gatherers, then Gerudo's sent archers to seize my Armos facility and Hylian trebuchets crushed my attempt to expand. 

Took me a while but with the aid of mage cannons my little Zora minions broke out of the stranglehold and slowly but surely dominated Hyrule. 

Nephalim says the mod will be public in a few weeks. Or anyone could kick in a couple dollars a month on patreon to get access now. Most enjoyable. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Baskom Welford said:

Nephalim says the mod will be public in a few weeks. Or anyone could kick in a couple dollars a month on patreon to get access now. Most enjoyable. 

I might just release it publicly on Christmas, just got to make sure my Patrons are ok with it first. I really wanted to release this for Patrons at the start of December and then for everyone on Christmas but my time to work on everything was cut very short due to my job.

Edited by The Undying Nephalim

6 hours ago, The Undying Nephalim said:

I might just release it publicly on Christmas, just got to make sure my Patrons are ok with it first. I really wanted to release this for Patrons at the start of December and then for everyone on Christmas but my time to work on everything was cut very short due to my job.

I realize your swamped at the moment, but when there's some spare time would you consider adding some 8 player maps? Tried running random maps outside of the prebuilt Hyrule skirmishes but it is difficult without rupee mines spawning in (trade routes only way to get rupees). Or if anyone could show me how to get the mod's content to show up in Atlas I could build some. 

Edited by Baskom Welford

9 hours ago, Baskom Welford said:

if anyone could show me how to get the mod's content to show up in Atlas I could build some. 

Humm... They should show up by default. Atlas should just load everything. Try loading the hyrule mod in the game and saving the configuration. Then open up atlas. You're going to have to look through the long list of entities/actors to find the mod's stuff. I don't think there is a 'sort by mod option'.

@The Undying NephalimI say new years gift for the forum. If the patrons say sure, go ahead though. We don't mind waiting a few days. The new year is a lot big than Christmas IMO.

Also https://trac.wildfiregames.com/changeset/20676 projectile animations seem to have been added to the SVN/A23. I think you wanted this for a civ or two.

Dear Undying Nephilim,

I'm a big fan of your work, I bought Medieval 2 for the sole purpose of installing your mod. Sure you may have released your announcement for 0 AD conversion soon after, but I don't blame you. After all, Medieval 2 is still a pretty fun game and I was never able to install the mod due to technical issues. Although I don't have the demo for Hyrule Conquest, as I would like to play it without fear of bugs or of the installation of the mod causing crashes due to my unfamiliarity with modding, I would like to make any contributions to this project as I can.

Have you heard of Shadiversity? He is a real world historical weapons and armor enthusiast and has made, for fun, several videos about fantasy creatures and what real world weapons and armor would they would most likely use due to their anatomy. Maybe you can use this info to enhance gameplay?

Here's an example that you could use for the Zora:

And fairies

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SirPope said:

Humm... They should show up by default. Atlas should just load everything. Try loading the hyrule mod in the game and saving the configuration. Then open up atlas. You're going to have to look through the long list of entities/actors to find the mod's stuff. I don't think there is a 'sort by mod option'.

That worked, thanks.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Question. Is there one resource that every faction uses? Rupees? if so then trade and tribute can be all done with just that one resource. A rupee based international economy. Can solve some of the issues with having a dozen different resources. Maybe this was alrdy suggested.

Only one problem with a rupee based economy. Mid-late game the mines are all used up for the non-renewable resources such as ore. Without the ability to get it via trade, ore heavy factions such as the Gorons will run out of resources. 

16 minutes ago, Baskom Welford said:

Only one problem with a rupee based economy. Mid-late game the mines are all used up for the non-renewable resources such as ore. Without the ability to get it via trade, ore heavy factions such as the Gorons will run out of resources. 

You use the rupees to buy more ore at the market. And this problem is a problem for every RTS with non-renewable resources. :) I can see a Market ability to "tax" for a resource trickle -- any number of ways around this limitation. Relics, etc.

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone
  • Like 1

I think the market should be based off of a resource that can't be collected in the game. Like a form of currency. It's determining how much 'money' a civ has that is hard. 10% the price of a building added to the currency amount? When you buy something, reduce the amount of currency that civ has, and have it trickle to the max amount (like a tax basically). I don't know if they had currency in 0ad.

1 hour ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Question. Is there one resource that every faction uses? Rupees? if so then trade and tribute can be all done with just that one resource. A rupee based international economy. Can solve some of the issues with having a dozen different resources. Maybe this was alrdy suggested.

I ended up combining all the planned resources into four generic resources: Food, Material, Ore, and Currency. Each faction just has different sources they can gather from. For example Gorons can't gather from bushes or hunt, they can only build Rock Sirloin mines. Zora's dont have any need for trees at all so they don't get Material from trees, only from stone. As for trading such different resources at the market, my current "in game lore" reason is that there's some chain of merchants who sell off the resource your factions has and exchanges it for the proper one to then send to your ally. It's a bit of a convoluted explanation but for players that only care about multiplayer gameplay it probably doesn't matter.

1 hour ago, SirPope said:

I think the market should be based off of a resource that can't be collected in the game. Like a form of currency. It's determining how much 'money' a civ has that is hard. 10% the price of a building added to the currency amount? When you buy something, reduce the amount of currency that civ has, and have it trickle to the max amount (like a tax basically). I don't know if they had currency in 0ad.

Yeah, for DE I'd like to add a Coin resource, which is the resource you trade with and buy resources with, and is what I was basically advocating for H:C but with Rupees. Coin would be used to hire mercenaries and stuff like that and represent money or currency. Yes, they had advanced coinage in the 0 A.D. time frame. :) 

Problem is maintaining component files that will constantly be deprecated. So, I refuse to add stuff like that until Beta is reached.

• Like 2

Okay, I've done a little patr(e)onising...

@The Undying Nephalim from playing around, I can tell you have two distinct problems with the Zora civ in the structree:

The first is easily solved, and is caused by a typo in your `simulation/data/civs/zora.json` file. Under the section "StartingEntities" you have River Patrol units listed twice and the second instance misspells the unit's template name. The StartingEntities entries are used primarily by the random maps to know what to give the player to begin with, but also by the structree as a starting point to working out what a civ/faction can build/train/research/etc.

As to the second - and why the structree thinks that nothing can research the town and city phases - the Zora are lacking something that the other factions do not: technologies that supersede and/or require other (non-phase) technologies. And guess what the structree currently uses to work out the phases... I've written and submitted a fix for svn/A23 (found here), but that doesn't really help you on A22 (as the code's changed and been relocated in the interim).

As a stop-gap measure to get it to work (at least until you move your mod to A23 and can take advantage of the above fix), you can grab a copy of `load.js` from the A22 state of the 0ad repo (here), place it the appropriate location within your mod (`./gui/structree/load.js`), and replace the `unravel_phases` function within the file with the following:

Spoiler

function unravelPhases(techs)
{
    return ["phase_village", "phase_town", "phase_city"];
}

This assumes you don't have any custom phases, don't have any more than three phases, and that those three phases are named the same as what's in Vanilla 0AD. And when you do move/update your mod to A23 (whenever that gets released) please don't forget to erase this file.

Hope that helps.

• Thanks 1

@The Undying Nephalim can you try to add gui.scale = 2 to your user.cfg http://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/GameDataPaths and tell us if it's more acceptable to have those black horizontal and vertical lines on the buttons or more acceptable to not have the options in the user interface? (We have a bugfix for the font rendering if the scale isn't a multiple of 2)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, The Undying Nephalim said:

I've got another small question, in Atlas when you increase the map size is it possible to base the size change on the center of the map? At the moment it only seems to stretch out the right side of the map

Changing the position of the map resize is a very much desired Atlas feature. There is a patch on Trac.

How are you going to Implement Mercenaries btw?

Are they all going to come from a single npc building on the map or are they going to divided into different groups, each with its own structure, and each of which are available only on certain maps/biomes/whatever.

Example:

Shrine of Shadows (or some other edgelord foreboding name): Trains and recruits Stalchildren, Gibdos, and Deadhands and maybe researches things that benefit these units and probably even the owner faction, but only if they are a shadow faction.

1. Stalchildren: Large numbers, expendable, and small chance to come back after death on the spot after short delay.
  2. Gibdos: Durable and expendable meatshields, weak attack and slow. Can you please make them have an aura that weakens enemy units offense/defense or something?
  3. Deadhands: Very durable, slow, and slows down enemies in its radius, please give it an ability to cause hands spout from the ground elsewhere as a ranged area of effect and debilitate enemies.

Keaton Cartel Hideout: Can be upgraded from hideout -> base -> blackmarket ( you could name it stronghold), provides recruitment for various Keaton units and can function like a market but with a benefit/detriment system. As in you set a resource you want and half of the resources your workers deposit and convert it to the desired resource but you only get half for what you spent or something. Maybe even an ability to distribute drugs that enhance the performance for your units at the cost of slowly losing health until you turn it off.

1. Highwayman: Fast, Stealthy, skilled at parrying, can cause critical hits on occasion and be upgraded with small shields for better parrying and minor resistance to arrows. Stealth detectors and attacking can reveal them. 
  2. Marksman: Fast, Stealthy, can shoot while stealthed, stealth detectors can reveal them.
  3. Saboteur: Fast, Stealthy, volatile concussions and be thrown at units and building, breaking stealth and causing death and panic, or can be silently planted on buildings and siege weapons for a timed explosion causes greater damage to the target and surrounding units/ buildings, friend and foe.

Personal Unit Suggestions:

1. Poacher: Longbow units with stealth, fast firing rate, longer range, and slight armor piercing. Can harvest meat. Do extra damage against various beast and cavalry units.
  2. Assassin: Fast, stealthy melee expert that can enter enemy buildings to kill the garrison. Chance to get killed by the garrison instead. Veterancy decreases that chance.

Hylian Mercenary Den:  Trains mercenary variants of Hyrule low tier infantry, these units are slightly cheaper and and faster to recruit but at the cost of not being as good as their non-loyal counterparts but maybe with abilities to make up for it.

1. Hylian Sellsword: A lesser cheaper version of Kingdom Infantry, faster movement and maybe stealth.
  2. Hylian Arbalest: More powerful attack and increased range than the vanilla counterpart, compensated by slower firing speed, slower movement and less armored.
  3. Hylian Raider: Kingdom Cavalry with decreased stats in all areas except movement, which is improved. Maybe also fire a weak shortbow.
Edited by Ozerol Notna
needed a comma
  • Like 1

On 23/12/2017 at 9:08 PM, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

On 23/12/2017 at 10:23 PM, SirPope said:

On 23/12/2017 at 11:43 PM, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Yeah, for DE I'd like to add a Coin resource, which is the resource you trade with and buy resources with, and is what I was basically advocating for H:C but with Rupees. Coin would be used to hire mercenaries and stuff like that and represent money or currency. Yes, they had advanced coinage in the 0 A.D. time frame. :) 

Problem is maintaining component files that will constantly be deprecated. So, I refuse to add stuff like that until Beta is reached.

HC's rupees, DE's coin, and 0abc's silver are all basically the same resource. It would be really nice if a feature to restrict trading specific resources were included in A23.

13 hours ago, Ozerol Notna said:

How are you going to Implement Mercenaries btw?

Are they all going to come from a single npc building on the map or are they going to divided into different groups, each with its own structure, and each of which are available only on certain maps/biomes/whatever.

There are going to be several things going on in regards to this

1. Hire-able Mercenaries
Mercenaries that are hired with money are going to be based on a faction's culture. Each faction has a dedicated buildsing that attracts mercs that can be hired for Rupees (The Inn for the Hylians is an example).

The list of the cultures and the mercenaries they can hire are:

Spoiler

Civilized Culture Mercs (Factions such as the Hylians and Zora)
- Goriya: A ranged unit armed with a Boomerang. Deals moderate splash damage to multiple enemies.
- Wosu: A sword armed melee unit with very fast movement speed.
- Tinsuit: Mercenary warriors armed with an anti-cavalry spear.

Barbarian Culture Mercs (Factions such as the Gorons and Moblins)
- Geru Macemen: Reptilian warrior with an anti armor melee attack.
- Taros: A very fast spear armed mercenary.
- Guma: A slow unit armed with a ball and chain attack. Can hit all enemies around itself.

Naturalistic Culture Mercs (Factions such as the Kokiri and Fairies)
- Forest Thieves: Very fast stealth unit. Has a chance to gain Rupees when attacking enemies.
- Forest Blin: A strong and bulky spear armed warrior with minor knockback.
- Pikku: A fast ranged unit that throws knives. Has a chance to deal Critical Hits.

Frontier Culture Mercs (Factions such as the Gerudo and Cobble Kingdom)
- Daira Marauders: Axe wielding reptile warrior that deals excellent damage.
- Geldman: Sand creature that can burrow into the ground and hide.
- Zazak: Reptilian creature that can launch fireballs at enemies.

Shadow Culture Mercs (Factions such as the Stalfos and Sheikah)
- Stalchildren: Small and cheap cannon fodder unit.
- Gibdo: Slow moving unit that damages the performance of enemy units in its aura
- Deadhand: Slow moving creature that can summon numerous hands that attack enemies

Ancient Culture Mercs (Factions such as the Ancient Hylians and Oocca)
- Gimos: A flying trident armed creature that can turn into stone and regenerate. Is extremely resistant to damage while in stone form.
- Pol's Voice: Mysterious slow moving creature that is immune to all melee attacks.
- Bombarossa: Slow hovering enchantment that explodes when attacked.

Twilight Culture Mercs (Avauilable to all of the Twili factions)
- Shadow Beast: Twili that has been transformed into a monster. Realtively cheap and strong melee attack.
- Shadow Kargorok: Flying creature unit with a strong melee attack.
- Hyu: Ghost-like mercenary that can pass through any object.

Darknut Mercs (The Darknuts get their own three unique mercs)
- Fokka Hypaspist (A fast running infantry unit that can keep up with Cavalry)
- Mazura Hippikon (A slow moving infantry unit that counds as Cavalry)
- Lynel Pride (A very fast cavalry unit with high damage output)

2. Minor Factions
Then there are Minor Factions or NPC factions as I usually call them. These are based on the current map, and are similar to NPC's in Age of Empires 3. They will take up a player slot, have their own AI and build a base and a small army. They only have several buildings and units, but you can capture them and train their units. Down the road I hope it's possible to trade with these minor factions and buy them out as opposed to conquering them. A list of the Minor factions showing up are:

Spoiler

Lon Lon Ranch
Zuna
Keaton Cartel
Subrosians
Huskus
Tokay
Horonians
Haunts (Poes)
Gorons of Rolling Ridge
Lynels of Labrynna
Witch's Coven
Skull Kids
Mogma
Kikwi
Piccori
Blind's Theives
Storm Zora (Great Sea)
Mermaids (Great Sea)
Gerudo Pirates (Great Sea)
Romani Ranch (Termina)
Garo Ninjas (Termina)
Them (Termina)

3. Armos

As demonstrated in this next release, most maps will have some form of Ruins that you can capture and it will produce Armos Statues. The type of ruins and Armos they can create are based on the region and climate:

Spoiler

Ancient/Forest Ruins 
- Beamos (ALTTP Variation)
- Armos (ALTTP Variation)
- Armos Warrior (ALTTP Variation)

Death Mountain Ruins
- Death Mountain Armos (OoT Variation)
- Death Mountain Beamos (OoT Variation)
- Gimos (ALBW Variation)

Tropical Ruins
- Armos (SS Variation)
- Beamos (SS Variation)