Hyrule Conquest

Blast, it's looking like the Zora base building method is going to need new components despite my initial hopes. So...

WPkuXs3.jpg

I'm trying to make it so the Zora buildings are all interconnected by aqueducts , and interspersed between aqueducts are empty pools that buildings are forced to be built upon. Making the Aqueduct system was easy enough; just copy the walls, replace all the wall segments with the aqueducts and the towers with the empty building slot pools. Problems however:

1) How do you make it so that walls (or in this case the aqueduct) Snap to the center of buildings other then a preexisting wall tower? I want is so the player is forced to build an Aqueduct from a preexisting Civic Center or building, but it seems to be limited to either the proper terrain or a pre-existing tower segment.
2) Similar to the goron building problem, is there any instruction on how to make it so workers can only build building on top of slots instead of terrain? 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

You could make the "wall tower" pools have an upgrade option for each build type. A good halfway measure?

That's the backup plan if I can't get help before the next version is ready. Does the 0.22 AI know how to handle upgrading buildings instead of building them with workers though?

Unfortunate, I suppose in the next version the Zora and Gorons will just be stuck with the standard build scheme. Maybe some day a brave coder will make the aqueducts possible.

UDbaodW.jpg

Maybe someone could at least walk me through making components files to make something like this possible? With a bit of education I might be able to pull this off myself. ;)

53 minutes ago, The Undying Nephalim said:

Unfortunate, I suppose in the next version the Zora and Gorons will just be stuck with the standard build scheme. Maybe some day a brave coder will make the aqueducts possible.

UDbaodW.jpg

Maybe someone could at least walk me through making components files to make something like this possible? With a bit of education I might be able to pull this off myself. ;)

The best hack I can think of would be to use the wall code and upgrade code. Make a wallset where the aqueducts are the wall segments, and large generic plots are the "wall towers." Then those plots can use the upgrade feature to upgrade them to various buildings. They'd just all have to use the same obstruction size as the plots/wall towers.

Nevermind, you're already trying to do that. lol

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone

The thing that got me confused is can the units walk through them and what will elephants (and other big units) look like doing it? They are probably gates. So they should be able to. They will probably ignore the poles though and walk through them.

Wouldn't the walls get a bit annoying. I don't think you can make the mouse ignore that there is a building there. It'd kinda suck to be forced to drag a wall to the best storehouse spot and then wait for it to be built... just to then build a storehouse and get started. You could technically program in an auto-linking wall system from building to building. Then it'd have to check for impassibility before allowing the building to be built (slow and most-likely inaccurate). It may also end up walling the player in and them not knowing where anything is. And aqueducts would only really make sense on flat land. Hills may raise eyebrow.

If the ability to edit terrain was an option, I would of recommended streams and ponds being generated instead. Hills would probably lead to a problem.

I really like the idea and it'd be neat to see it in action. I just don't know if it'd work out as well as you think.

Edited by SirPope
Someone please let the AI be aware of the upgrade feature.

The collision of the Aqueducts is like gates, yes. I've modeled and scaled the Aqueducts to be large enough for big units like the Elephants to walk under. Really huge units like Titans will have an aura that rapidly damages and destroys structures like walls and Aqueducts to simulate them just waltzing on through.

33 minutes ago, SirPope said:

The thing that got me confused is can the units walk through them and what will elephants (and other big units) look like doing it? They are probably gates. So they should be able to. They will probably ignore the poles though and walk through them.

If like gates, they can have multi-obstruction. I do this with the Roman Triumphal Arch, which allows units to walk beneath it.

• Like 1

hmm ... respect to all creative minds. art is a spectacular piece of epic :-)
walls are hard coded but if aquaduct approach is kept simple until some AI supports roads (plans exist) then it can work @ little maintenance if you are fine with aquaducts circling around hills or tunnelling

on demand loaded sector maps reduce height serialization cost, address TW-like campaigns and finally make snow possible to the very delight of santa yippiih I already see him carve in on his sledge, reindeers in front and caesar in his backpack ready to be delivered to the senate of rome before he passes the Imperium river tztz.

• Like 1

I've been attempting to add a number of Legend of Zelda languages as custom fonts to the engine by following these tutorials:

https://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/Font_Builder2

https://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/Adding_font_support

And seem to have succeeded in installing and configuring Python and the associated files correctly, but am not sure how to activate "fontbuilder.py" Attempts to run "python fontbuilder.py" in the command prompt display an error, while manually running the script seems to do nothing. I've attempted a test run of the script and no font files appeared in the output directory. I'm not sure if the script needs to go somewhere in either the 0 AD files or Python directory or I messed up a previous step.

on the note of the script, when I do manage to get it working, are these the correct sections in which to input new fonts?

# For extra glyph support, add your preferred font to the font array
Sans = (["AncientHylian.otf","GerudoTypography.ttf"], FontLoader.FT_LOAD_DEFAULT)
Sans_Bold = (["AncientHylian.otf","GerudoTypography.ttf"], FontLoader.FT_LOAD_DEFAULT)
Sans_Italic = (["AncientHylian.otf","GerudoTypography.ttf"], FontLoader.FT_LOAD_DEFAULT)
SansMono = (["AncientHylian.otf","GerudoTypography.ttf"], FontLoader.FT_LOAD_DEFAULT)
Serif = (["AncientHylian.otf","GerudoTypography.ttf"], FontLoader.FT_LOAD_NO_HINTING)
Serif_Bold = (["AncientHylian.otf","GerudoTypography.ttf"], FontLoader.FT_LOAD_NO_HINTING)

# Define the size differences used to render different fallback fonts
# I.e. when adding a fallback font has smaller glyphs than the original, you can bump it
dsizes = {'HanaMinA.ttf': 2} # make the glyphs for the (chinese font 2 pts bigger)

fonts = (
    ("mono-10", SansMono, 10, filled),
    ("mono-stroke-10", SansMono, 10, stroked2),
    ("sans-9", Sans, 9, filled),
    ("sans-10", Sans, 10, filled),
    ("sans-12", Sans, 12, filled),
    ("sans-13", Sans, 13, filled),
    ("sans-14", Sans, 14, filled),
    ("sans-16", Sans, 16, filled),
    ("sans-bold-12", Sans_Bold, 12, filled),
    ("sans-bold-13", Sans_Bold, 13, filled),
    ("sans-bold-14", Sans_Bold, 14, filled),
    ("sans-bold-16", Sans_Bold, 16, filled),
    ("sans-bold-18", Sans_Bold, 18, filled),
    ("sans-bold-20", Sans_Bold, 20, filled),
    ("sans-bold-22", Sans_Bold, 22, filled),
    ("sans-bold-24", Sans_Bold, 24, filled),
    ("sans-stroke-12", Sans, 12, stroked2),
    ("sans-bold-stroke-12", Sans_Bold, 12, stroked3),
    ("sans-stroke-13", Sans, 13, stroked2),
    ("sans-bold-stroke-13", Sans_Bold, 13, stroked3),
    ("sans-stroke-14", Sans, 14, stroked2),
    ("sans-bold-stroke-14", Sans_Bold, 14, stroked3),
    ("sans-stroke-16", Sans, 16, stroked2),
)

for (name, (fontnames, loadopts), size, style) in fonts:
    print "%s..." % name
    generate_font("../../../binaries/data/mods/Hyrule/fonts/%s" % name, fontnames, loadopts, size, style, dsizes)

• Like 1

A weird thing I'm running into, I'm not sure if it's a bug or not. I have an actor with multiple animated props attached to it. Every time the unit uses its ranged attack it plays additional attack sounds for each prop attached to the actor that it uses. Is there a way to limit it to just play one attack sound at a time?

15 hours ago, The Undying Nephalim said:

A weird thing I'm running into, I'm not sure if it's a bug or not. I have an actor with multiple animated props attached to it. Every time the unit uses its ranged attack it plays additional attack sounds for each prop attached to the actor that it uses. Is there a way to limit it to just play one attack sound at a time?

That really shouldn't be happening.  Those props are just actors right? 

• Stan` pinned this topic