Hyrule Conquest

For those unfamiliar with Hyrule or the Total War version of my game, here's a list of the factions that I'll be porting over and a brief summary of their armies and abilities:

Spoiler

Main Factions

nclYIq5.jpg

Kingdom of Hyrule
 The dominant power of Hyrule. An infantry heavy faction with many melee focused units.

bhMDtmV.jpg

Gerudo
 A dying culture of marauders from the Gerudo Desert, where a terrible plague has exterminated their entire male population. An archer heavy faction with good support cavalry.

35Kad8j.jpg

Gorons
 A race of creatures composed entirely of rock and minerals. Durable and powerful individually, they have a heavy focus on defense with excellent defensive emplacements and buildings.

9iWNDeI.jpg

Zora Dominion
 An empire of graceful and prideful fishmen. Fields powerful mages and an entire army of aquatic soldiers that can cross any body of water.

uLDH8NL.jpg
Kokiri
 A reclusive people of child-like beings that do not seem to age. Their armies are composed of many small and fast units, as well as powerful forest creatures.

v65TGpg.jpg
Gohma
 A nightmarish collective of arachnid monsters that seeks to consume all life in Hyrule. Composed of swarms of tiny and pathetic spiders but can quickly field massive armies.

PtCCaAy.jpg

Ordona Province
 An agrarian nation that was once a vassal state to the Kingdom of Hyrule. A very Cavalry heavy faction with many farming and trade options, as well as many civilian soldiers.

z7Re2l0.jpg
Lanayru Province
 A wealthy nation of Zora-Hylian hybrids that was once a shared vassal state between the Kingdom of Hyrule and the Zora Dominion. They field a large collection of fast and cheap units and have an incredibly strong economy.

GC9LgGu.jpg

Deku Scrubs
 A loose alliance of hyper-aggressive and xenophobic plant beings. Deku Scrubs are small and extremely weak, but they can burrow anywhere and field a large variety of monstrous forest creatures.

jyJSqR4.jpg
Moblins
 A variety of boar-like humanoids that are very prone to in-fighting and civil war. During times of unity against outside enemies they field large and powerful melee units backed up by swarms of cannon fodder.

qFzHtWE.jpg
Darknut Legion
 A creed of powerful, ten foot tall canine warriors from the far western deserts. Their units are giant, extremely  heavily armored, and very slow.

A2BGn8Q.jpg

Stalfos
 An organization of undead necromancers that have uncovered long lost magic. Their armies are very slow but can continue to spawn so long as corpses are provided.

KMVpEf9.jpg
Sheikah Cadre
 A secretive organization that prefers to direct history through assassination and political manipulation rather than warfare. Their armies are small but can become invisible to most enemy units.

5wmBvnY.jpg
Lizalfos
 An empire of reptilian humanoids that were native to Death Mountain, but were driven away by the Gorons. They have rebuilt their fallen civilization deep in the forests of Hyrule, fielding a large variety of quick units can can easily dodge enemy attacks.

sw8CPoA.jpg
Labrynna Regime
 A technologically superior faction from the far east that has begun a campaign of manifest destiny against Hyrule. Fields gunpowder, cannons, and crude mechanized vehicles.

SNt3HWq.jpg
Fairies of Tarm
 A race of mythical beings that wield powers to alter reality. They field large forces of small flying units that can regenerate and even cheat death.

OBzsmQ7.jpg
Twilight Incursion
 The descendants of criminals that were banished from Hyrule into a dark prison behind the Mirror of Twilight. After countless years of exile, they have warped into twisted and dark and shadowy beings hellbent on revenge.

qTxBr9f.jpg
Order of the Wizzrobe
 A secretive cult of arcane magic users. Their armies are composed of many mages that use a variety of elemental magics.

c6YRmdj.jpg
River Zora
 A barbaric and extremely violent race of primitive Zora that has slept at the bottom of Hyrule's oceans for thousands of years. The River Zora mount all of their structures on the backs of giant creatures, making all of their bases completely mobile.

XnrPmiy.jpg
Volvagians
 A race of giant reptilian serpents, the last of the dragons still alive in Hyrule. They have extremely powerful fire based units in the form of Dragons, Dondogos, Scalderas, and field a larger army of enslaved Gorons to do their bidding.

kZF5Me1.jpg
Oocca
 An enigmatic race of avian beings that dwell within the heavens of Hyrule. They are worshiped like gods by many of the surface dwellers, and wield tremendous supernatural power. Oocca armies are composed of a large variety of statues animated by Dominion Rods.

4R7pBHD.jpg

Ancient Hylians
 The founding peoples of the first Kingdom of Hyrule. An alliance between the ancestors of the Hylians, Wind Tribe, and Picori people. The Ancient Hylians have powerful infantry with armor that can absorb damage and regenerate.

Great Sea expansion
 The Great Sea expansion will add several more factions to the game, focusing more on naval and flying units. All of the original factions will likely get navy units at this point.

Commonwealth of New Hyrule
 The union of the Kingdom of Hyrule and Zora peoples, destined to explore the oceans north of Hyrule and colonize new lands. Has a strong and fast navy and early gunpowder units.

Ocean Blins
 A collection of Moblins that long ago retreated from Hyrule, building up a pirate empire in the far north of the great sea. They field a very fast navy with many melee and ramming ships.

Rito 
 Winged avian humanoids native to the Dragon Roost Island of the Great Sea. The Rito field a huge selection of fast flying units that can easily dodge melee attacks.

Parella
 A race of dark cephalopods from deep beneath the ocean that worship the dark god Bellum. The Parella have a large collection of deep sea monsters that can walk between land and sea.

Korok Colonists
 A group of Kokiri that have transformed into graceful and peaceful plant-like beings. Korok Colonists field a balance of navy and flying units.

Anouki Natives
 Hailing from the frozen shelves of ice to the far northeast, the Anouki have lived long in the Great Sea and adapted to their snowy lands well. Their navy is weak but can dispatch large swarms of small ships.

Lost Gorons
 A colony of Gorons that dug extremely deep within the earth. They have not seen sunlight in countless ages, and have resurfaced in the volcanoes of the Great Sea. The Lost Gorons have a very slow navy, but their ships are giant and practically floating fortresses that can build new ships.

Cobble Kingdom
 An extremely ancient Kingdom that nearly was wiped out by Bellum thousands of years prior. After sleeping in stasis they have arisen as spirits to haunt the Great Sea. The Cobble Kingdom fields magical constructs that can walk from land and into water.

Termina Expansion
 The Termina expansion will add twisted and dark counterparts to existing factions from the main game.

Clock Town
 A small city state containing the last of civilization that has not gone mad in Termina. Clock Town is a very defensive faction with many strong walls and towers.

Dark Deku Scrubs
 A twisted and corrupt incarnation of the Deku Scrubs that have sold their souls to the dark god Odolwa. They poison the land around them and field many poisonous and toxic units.

Darmani Clan
 A cowardly group of Gorons that became frozen in the twisted hell of Termina. They now exist as barbaric Gorons of snow and ice, behaving more like wild animals than civilized rock-men.

Great Bay Zora
 A kingdom of Zora that underwent a great tragedy. Its population has been in constant mourning for countless years, taking out their sadness and anger on the rest of Termina.

Cursed Kingdom of Ikana
 Once a proud and powerful empire in Hyrule, Ikana betrayed the Goddesses and pledged their service to Majora. Their entire kingdom was cursed and sunk into Termina, where they constantly relive three days of civil war as deathless skeletons.

Yiga
 A host of traitorous Sheikah that comitted countless coups against Hyrule. Many of their dead now roam Termina, with sinister and hidden armies.

The Kingdom of Lorule
 A twisted mirror of the Kingdom of Hyrule, born from Majora to serve as a mockery of the Goddesses' chosen people. 

Church of Majora
 A sect of cultists and clergy that worship the dark god Majora, the host and keeper ofTermina. Majora's army is composed of depraved and mindless individuals, as well as twisted monsters made of its likeness.

Edited by The Undying Nephalim
  • Like 4

I'm having a bit of a problem using this for my land-to-water units:

<Position>
 <Floating>true</Floating>
</Position>

The problem being that they walk on top of the water rather then in the water:

Spoiler

JtxxQmF.jpg

Is there perhaps a way I can add a new animation class, perhaps called "swim" that triggers if a unit is on water? I'd really love to have swimming animations for my aquatic units rather than walking and running on water.

• Like 1

Right, this works for ships because those extend below ground, but for units that would need work. Care to open a ticket on trac for that? I suppose we should just add a floating depth so that units walk up to a certain depth and only then start floating at that depth. Making the animation differ if the unit swims shouldn't be to hard given that cmpVisualActor's Update already accesses cmpPosition.

All of that is going to need C++ changes though, so you will have to start using the development version.

• Thanks 1

If that's not to hard I guess I could do it with some help of the devs. If I'm not mistaken it should be a couple of ifs a call to setanimation, and a new anim name, and some xml schema editing. 

Would be nice to find a usage for the main game aswell. Maybe @wowgetoffyourcellphone will have some ideas.

Edited by stanislas69
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, leper said:

All of that is going to need C++ changes though, so you will have to start using the development version.

I'm going to have to wait on getting aquatic units looking properly then. I intend to have a full public release of the first two factions in the next month or so and a shift to the dev version might make it too hard for casual players to download and play the mod. Unless of course 0AD plans on releasing a new version sometime in the next month, but I suspect not since they just released 0.22 a month ago.

• Like 1

Forums are not letting me edit my last post to combine this and avoid double-posting, my apologies

49 minutes ago, stanislas69 said:

If that's not to hard I guess I could do it with some help of the devs. If I'm not mistaken it should be a couple of ifs a call to setanimation, and a new anim name, and some xml schema editing. 

Would be nice to find a usage for the main game aswell. Maybe @wowgetoffyourcellphone will have some ideas.

What files control animation conditions?

https://code.wildfiregames.com/D842 should take care of the floating at a certain depth part. (No tickets, since others also didn't create any :P)

About animations it should need a new anim (and names for those), and either using the animation overrides for the walk animation from JS (though we might have to check the current position a lot), or extend cmpUnitMotion to check if cmpPosition is actually floating at the moment (and maybe taking care that that check doesn't mess up the plane).

Well, I've gotten most of the units for the second civ (The Gerudo) and their animations in the game:

KxqS2I8.jpg

Here's a bit more details on their units:

Spoiler

Gerudo Artisan
x8zGLR4.jpg
The workforce of the Gerudo people, Artisans were extremely strong and fit civilians that helped to build the great desert cities. They were completely sub-servant to Emperor Ganondorf and his Arbiters, performing a large variety of tasks such as building and gathering resources.

Trailblazer
OwjkKfK.jpg
Scouts and explorers, the Trailblazer spends most of her life on the borders of the Gerudo desert or in foreign lands. During times of war they are called to track the movements of enemy forces, which in most cases they can easily outrun.

Glaive Grunt
JPuiF3W.jpg
Scores of Glaive Grunts patrol the military bases across the Gerudo Desert, guarding the empire's borders and keeping a vigilant watch for any incursion. Armed with the Gerudo's signature glaive, these women could halt charging enemies and keep cavalry at bay.

Marauder
W6tDVhw.jpg
Gerudo Marauders were composed of many of the nation's youngest warriors, just fresh out of training. With little armor to worry about, Marauders could sprint across the sands of their homeland with ease and swiftly raid enemy settlements with their scimitar.

Sand Sniper
jaLRZhw.jpg
The Gerudo Sand Snipers represent some of the best archers in all the desert. Trained from a very young age in the art of the bow, Sand Snipers are infamous for their ability to hit their targets dead-on from extremely long ranges. There are few individuals in Hyrule who could best them from a distance. 

Gerudadorf
4FArwUf.jpg
Armed with a pair of Katars, the Gerudadorf know where to hit a target's vulnerabilities. Well trained in the art of battle, Gerudadorf took advantage of both their environment and the chaos of battle to slip through enemy ranks and kill high-priority targets.

Master Thief
NdKPGsW.jpg
In the harsh desert, thievery was often the best means of survival, and the Gerudo were the undisputed champions. Master Thieves could sneak into just about any location and pickpocket, steal, murder, and engage in all-out melee.

Vagrudanon
Tt9GreF.jpg
Riding on the signature black horses of the Desert, the Vagrudanon filled the core of the Gerudo's military cavalry. They were some of the fastest riders in all of Hyrule, and could strike terror into their enemies with unrelenting raids

Despoiler
bzpnm3X.jpg
Mounted on the backs of the rare Gerudo Camels, Despoilers were a loose band of warriors that survived by raiding and pillaging settlements along the borders of the empire. Armed with a curved Moonlit Scimitar and durable shield, they were feared by civilians across the desert. During times of war they answer to Emperor Ganondorf and serve him without question.

Sandseal Dune Walker
uXlLdUd.jpg
The Sandseals native to the Gerudo Desert are difficult to tame, but the Gerudo have mastered the beasts. Slow but durable and immune to the deadly sandstorms of the desert, Sandseals may lack speed but they are guaranteed to bring themselves and their riders to their destinations even if they have to cross bodies of water. Mounted by an archer, they are excellent rear line cavalry.

Sandseal Plower
KLgaJux.jpg
Fitted with a giant horn on its head, the Sandseal Plower serves as a living battering ram for the Gerudo armies. Capable of crossing harsh deserts and bodies of water, the Plower can charge into buildings and walls, tearing them apart brick by brick.

Tomb Guard
NJG3C2O.jpg
High-ranking soldiers in the Gerudo military, Tomb Guards watched over the graves of long-deceased Gerudo Kings, as well as the Royal Palace and other political centers. Armed with a Trident-Spear and shining Golden Shields, Tomb Guards could stand their ground and hold off almost any foe from taking their targets.

Ice Archer
vespGko.jpg
After years of arduous training, Gerudo women are given the chance to enter the infamous Gerudo Training Grounds. Should they survive, they emerge victorious with Ice Arrows in hand. These ancient and magical weapons can fire a deadly arrow coated in frost. On contact they explode and instantly freeze anything near their impact.

Captain of Ashinon
BGfuFB0.jpg
Ashinon Captains were some of the best-trained soldiers in the history of the Gerudo Empire. Incredibly athletic and acrobatic, they were able to weave and parry their way to the throats of even the most heavily-armored enemies. They were perhaps most notable for their ability to command other women in battle.

Wind Witch
ER1FJD3.jpg
Elder Matriarchs of Gerudo society, the Wind Witches took control of the desert empire after their male kings became extinct. Dark magics of the ancient desert have given them extraordinarily long life as well as power over sand and wind. They are feared and revered by all Gerudo.

Iron Knuckle
RalKTdG.jpg
Animated suits of heavy armor, Iron Knuckles are bound with the spirits of dead Gerudo Kings returned to the world of the living to wage war against the enemies of the empire. These massive and durable constructs wield huge Gerudo War Axes into battle. Having already died in the distant past, they know absolutely no fear and will engage even the most terrifying enemy head-on.

Arbiter
XcZqmO6.jpg
A Unique Unit only available to Emperor Ganondorf. Serving as judge, jury, and executioner, Arbiters are the right hand women of Emperor Ganondorf, seeing to the affairs of his desert empire. All Gerudo fear them, and their arrival usually signals the coming of a great and deadly battle. Arbiters can dramatically improve the performance of all cavalry under their command.

Serpent Slayer
mtVLqtP.jpg
A Unique Unit only available to Nabooru, the Sage of Spirits. Dressed in ceremonial golden armor in the likeness of Kovaloo, Serpent Slayers guard the hidden depths of the Gerudo Tombs across the desert. Armed with a Khopesh and the legendary Mirror Shield they are completely immune to all elemental and magical attacks, making them excellent at killing mages and other mystical beasts in battle.

Golden Gladiator
wu7mVqS.jpg
A Unique Unit only available to Captain Urbosa. Wielding a huge two handed claymore, Golden Gladiators use their impressive strength and speed to overpower lesser enemies. They are swift on their feet and can dodge well in a melee, and their strength and weapon of choice allows them to crack open enemy armor with ease.

Dust Sentinel
zcB0PSA.jpg
A Unique Unit only available to Makeela Riju. The reclusive Dust Sentinels are the stoic guardians of the desert borders. Capable of burrowing and bunkering down, these Sandseal riders create a thick cloud of dust around themselves which renders them invisible even while attacking so long as they are stationary.

And some more screenshots of their unit variations:

Spoiler

sZo5kpR.jpg
6E0zZB3.jpg
WdxfzBh.jpg

• Like 5

On 8/28/2017 at 2:04 AM, The Undying Nephalim said:

the dev version might make it too hard for casual players to download and play the mod

Of course, since 0 A.D. is open-source and licensed the way it is, you don't actually need to have players download and install 0 A.D. first.  You could redistribute 0 A.D. alpha 22 with your mod included as Hyrule <version>, or even redistribute the development version along with your own content.

I have a few questions on some things I can seem to figure out"

1. How can I edit the turn rate of units so they are slower? I tried messing with this:
  <Position>
    <TurnRate>47.0</TurnRate>
  </Position>
But my units still seem to turn almost instantly instead of slow and smooth.

2. Is there a way to change how quickly a specific projectile vanishes after it hits the ground? I have a few magic based attacks in the game that linger around on the ground too long after they hit. Some I need to vanish instantly like lightning bolts.

3. Is there a way to control the flying arc of certain projectiles? Some of my magic based attacks should not be arching through the air like arrows. My lightning bolt attacks should fly in a straight line at targets.

4. This was brought up earlier, but what file controls animation sets and definitions? The file that controls things like "Idle", "Walk", "Run", Attack_Ranged" etc. I can't seem to find any file that defines these and I'd like to create a swimming and spawning set for animations.

5. What file defines and controls damage types like Hack, Pierce, etc? I'd like to add a Magic damage type and resistance to.

8 hours ago, implodedok said:

Of course, since 0 A.D. is open-source and licensed the way it is, you don't actually need to have players download and install 0 A.D. first.  You could redistribute 0 A.D. alpha 22 with your mod included as Hyrule <version>, or even redistribute the development version along with your own content.

I might end up doing that then. Sometimes the fact that 0AD is open source slips my mind. :o

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, The Undying Nephalim said:

1. How can I edit the turn rate of units so they are slower? I tried messing with this:
  <Position>
    <TurnRate>47.0</TurnRate>
  </Position>
But my units still seem to turn almost instantly instead of slow and smooth.

You should be able to take some clues from ship templates, they don't turn indefinitely fast as well

11 minutes ago, niektb said:

You should be able to take some clues from ship templates, they don't turn indefinitely fast as well

I'm looking at the ship templates, the only clue I can find is in template_unit_mechanical_ship, the same thing I posted:

<Position>
    <Floating>true</Floating>
    <TurnRate>3.0</TurnRate>
  </Position>

No matter how high I change the turn rate all my units spin almost instantly.

(Oh, how I like writing posts again because the forums have issues.)

Now inside pre tags, interpret bbcode yourself, the forums apparently cannot.

[quote]
2. Is there a way to change how quickly a specific projectile vanishes after it hits the ground? I have a few magic based attacks in the game that linger around on the ground too long after they hit. Some I need to vanish instantly like lightning bolts.
[/quote]
The delay is hardcoded in cmpProjectileManager (C++) currently, however you could pass an additional parameter from cmpAttack to cmpDamage's MissileHit and call RemoveProjectile there even if it was a miss.

[quote]
3. Is there a way to control the flying arc of certain projectiles? Some of my magic based attacks should not be arching through the air like arrows. My lightning bolt attacks should fly in a straight line at targets.
[/quote]
Needs a small JS change in cmpAttack (and to the schema, and the templates that need a different gravity value) to allow passing a custom gravity value to LaunchProjectile. This would also allow things like mortars or ICBMs.

[quote]
4. This was brought up earlier, but what file controls animation sets and definitions? The file that controls things like "Idle", "Walk", "Run", Attack_Ranged" etc. I can't seem to find any file that defines these and I'd like to create a swimming and spawning set for animations.
[/quote]
Available animations are defined in the actors. When those get used is handled by some intersection of cmpUnitAI and cmpVisualActor.

[quote]
5. What file defines and controls damage types like Hack, Pierce, etc? I'd like to add a Magic damage type and resistance to.
[/quote]
cmpArmour and cmpAttack. Though neither of those is very nice to extend currently. That doesn't mean that you cannot extend it, but it is quite likely to require more work to maintain than should be needed.
  • Like 1

I've got another question. I sort of expected this to happen, but when one of my two factions is an AI player the AI does nothing and continues to post a looping error:

<p class="error">ERROR: JavaScript error: simulation/ai/petra/headquarters.js line 1452
TypeError: gameState.getTemplate(...) is null
  m.HQ.prototype.buildMoreHouses@simulation/ai/petra/headquarters.js:1452:17
  m.HQ.prototype.update@simulation/ai/petra/headquarters.js:2237:4
  m.PetraBot.prototype.OnUpdate@simulation/ai/petra/_petrabot.js:119:3
  m.BaseAI.prototype.HandleMessage@simulation/ai/common-api/baseAI.js:64:2</p>
<p class="error">ERROR: JavaScript error: simulation/ai/common-api/resources.js line 33
TypeError: that is undefined
  m.Resources.prototype.add@simulation/ai/common-api/resources.js:33:3
  m.QueuePlan.prototype.getCost@simulation/ai/petra/queueplan.js:53:2
  m.QueueManager.prototype.startNextItems@simulation/ai/petra/queueManager.js:367:38
  m.QueueManager.prototype.update@simulation/ai/petra/queueManager.js:407:2
  m.PetraBot.prototype.OnUpdate@simulation/ai/petra/_petrabot.js:121:3
  m.BaseAI.prototype.HandleMessage@simulation/ai/common-api/baseAI.js:64:2</p> 

I'm going to take a guess and say that the AI is not able to determine which building is the Civic Center? Regardless, anyone have an idea of why this might be happening?

1 hour ago, Arcana33 said:

Maybe it has to do with Petra has an order to create more houses but it can't find these ?

Yeah it looks like this line is the problem:

let plan = new m.ConstructionPlan(gameState, "structures/{civ}_house");

I checked in the config.js file, and put this in:

this.buildings =
    {
        "ai_buildfield": {
            "default": [],
            "hylian": [ "structures/hylian_farmsteadA" ],
            "gerudo": [ "structures/gerudo_pigfarmA" ]
        },
        "ai_buildhouse": {
            "default": [],
            "hylian": [ "structures/hylian_housesA" ],
            "gerudo": [ "structures/gerudo_housesA" ]
        },
    };   

and then changed the headquarters line:

let plan = new m.ConstructionPlan(gameState, ai_buildhouse);    

However it still doesnt seem to work. Is there something I'm doing wrong here? All of my factions use radically different buildings that use very different templates, so they can't all use the {civ}_building naming method.