[Project] Factions Most Representative City

Skhorn

Hi,

My plan is to Recreate the capital or the most representative city of each faction on the game including faction mods. I will try to be the most detailed as possible inspired in what Leroy30 was doing, even adding units so it does not seems like a ghost city, which reminds me, how can i turn off the units silhouettes on Atlas?

• Not meant to be playable. Unless someone take it and delete 90% of the props on the map.
  • It will have every mod possible, each one adds more props! :bouncing:
  • Whenever a map is finished i will create a new topic and linking it here, guess is better than overcrowd this topic. 
  • I expect to "ship it" with some history paragraphs.
  • It will be the most accurate as possible even if i got to create unique/exotic buildings with a mix of buildings and terrain elevations.

This is the plan i have for now:

AngloSaxons  

Spoiler

So far, the documentation of the Osprey book: Fortifications in Wessex c. 800 – 1066.

Athenians

Spoiler

The Acropolis of Athens.

Britons

Spoiler

Chysauster, a small settlement

Carolingians

Spoiler

Aachen

Carthaginians

Spoiler

Carthage 

Chinese 

Spoiler

Daming Palace

Egyptians/Ptolemies

Spoiler

Alexandria

Epirotes 

Spoiler

idk

Gauls 

Spoiler

Alesia or Bibracte

Iberians

Spoiler

Castellet de banyoles tivissa

Indians/Mauryans

Spoiler

Pataliputra.
 When i was making this map never found too much about the city, so it was an imaginative work. Still i can make another if there is enough references

Spoiler

Macedonians 

Spoiler

Pella

Norse 

Spoiler

idk

Persians

Spoiler

Persepolis or Babylon

Romans

Spoiler

Should i do one for Romans(Principates) and Romans(Republicans) or just with Rome is enough? @wowgetoffyourcellphone

Seleucids

Spoiler

Antioch or Seleucia

Spartans

Spoiler

Sparta

Thebans

Spoiler

Thebes

Zapotecs 

Spoiler

idk

Kushites 

Spoiler

If the buildings comes out. 
Meroe or Napata

If anyone can help with references or suggesting me another city, i will be eternally grateful.

Edited by Skhorn
  • Like 4

I can suggest Gergovia for the gauls, which was i think the main city of the Arverni, the tribe that could unify a good part of the gaul tribes against Rome. It was also the place of a prestigious victory of that confederation against rome (so you could maybe find more references).

But since i only know a few about history, what i say is potentially false and i wait for someone to suggest a better city or correct what i said.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Tiber7 said:

The "capital" of the federated tribes under the command of Vercingetorix was Alesia, wasn't it? Even though historians have no clue (except in the "Commentarii de Bello Gallico") of what it looked like since they don't even know where it was. There are two hypothesises offor the place: one in Switzerland in a valley that fits precisely the measurements of G.J.Caesar. I don't remember the second.

That's all I know.

I remained silent using "main city" term because i don't really know if the term "capital" really has a meaning in that particular time with a confederation. About Alesia, yes it was the place of the decisive gaul defeat (my french mind may tend to remember gaul victories only after all :)) but the city itself, from what i saw in quick wikipedia research ( https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mandubiens in french) seemed to be the capital of the mandubii, which didn't seem to be part of the most important gaulish tribes. Soldiers from different tribes gathered here under the command of Vercingetorix to fight, do we know more about the city ? Didn't it end up being important only for being the place of the decisive defeat which lead the confederation to lose the war ?

(But i remind i only know history very approximately)

• Like 1

Nice initiative!

For the Kushites, it's easy, Meroe or Napata, your choice.. Napata was the old religious capital, Meroe was the new secular and economic capital. 

Spoiler

Meroe:

13b_Reconstruction_of_Meroe_from_The_Capital_of_Kush_by_Rebecca_J_Bradley.thumb.jpg.2afc443ebf1384d4a1b013140feb8c4d.jpg

Napata's religious center:

595d45fb534a6_10bNapataatthefootofgebel-barkal.jpg.3339c0fcb35e97231b413712f8129ee4.jpg

For the Gauls, check out Bibracte. Remember that the current building set for the Gauls doesn't represent the pinnacle of Celtic architecture, but rather countryside models. Plenty of people have already commented on this, and I might make a large visual reference post in future to illustrate this point. For now, take a look at Bibracte, the capital of the Aedui:

Spoiler

gaule-bibracte-porte-de-rebout.jpg.3559c0403bc0a81505380bfb0529dc42.jpg

gaule-bibracte-mont-beuvray-come-chaudron.jpg.ae147db6885d7e53f679324ee19577ef.jpg

gaule-bibracte-pature-du-couvent.thumb.jpg.768dd390cca11e2fb591a8c2a0481e65.jpg

For the Thebans… Thebes...

Spoiler

Bronze age Thebes.. Wrong period, but at least you have something to go on:

595d470592c67_ScreenShot2017-07-05at22_05_22.thumb.png.8785da6005ca1349bc25ab89e1773f96.png

Edited by Sundiata
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Feldfeld said:

I remained silent using "main city" term because i don't really know if the term "capital" really has a meaning in that particular time with a confederation.

I don't have a good argument against that, but main city or the most representative should've worked for any given faction too. In some of the articles i found on wikipedia, in a few of them i saw something like: The capital of "xxxxxx" kingdom/empire was "xxxxxx"

So far i will update the post:

Alesia and Bibracte for Gauls, thank you @Sundiata for those nice references.

Kushites, Meroe or Napata. again, thank you.

Thebans, thebes. Nice picture, is it possible to get more like this from thebes? Whenever i search in google it adds the Egypt Thebes and the Greek Thebes is mostly the ruins, even if i add the keyword: Reconstruction, its more related to the egypt Thebes.

Spoiler

Thebes1802.jpg

Guess i should make a poll, but i don't know if i'm allowed to do that

Edited by Skhorn

5 hours ago, Skhorn said:
8 hours ago, Feldfeld said:

I remained silent using "main city" term because i don't really know if the term "capital" really has a meaning in that particular time with a confederation.

I don't have a good argument against that, but main city or the most representative should've worked for any given faction too. In some of the articles i found on wikipedia, in a few of them i saw something like: The capital of "xxxxxx" kingdom/empire was "xxxxxx"

I was just saying that about the confederation of tribes, but a particular tribe, or a civilisation can i think have a capital.

On 7/5/2017 at 4:09 PM, Sundiata said:

For the Kushites, it's easy, Meroe or Napata, your choice.. Napata was the old religious capital, Meroe was the new secular and economic capital. 

I think Napata may look more interesting, especially because the sacred mountain Jebel Barkal could give a nice big geographical point of interest.

1280px-Gebel_Barkal.jpg

OTiwfWy.jpg&key=5a9c6e2e49dcb8e0e85c55726ee5f08b42c230021a455789ae9f41c03987a962

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone
  • Like 3

@Skhorn Another artists' impression of ancient Thebes:

Though I'm not entirely sure about it's accuracy, with those titans (or cyclopses) and all... It's art, by jbrown67 for a computer game called Monstrous. But he seems to have gotten the layout, setting and style correct, so maybe it's useful...

ancient_thebes_by_jbrown67-d7orini.thumb.jpg.c3a7719c7d172f9bef3e14ab9d21c44c.jpg

Edited by Sundiata
  • Like 2

The Theban acropolis or citadel was called the Cadmeia. It wasn't nearly as massive or tall as the Athenian Acropolis, but it definitely perched above the rest of the town. I think part of the city wall used the Cadmeia as a redoubt.

Here is the shape of the city. It should help you a lot. The "palisade" can be removed, since it was erected by the defenders against the attack of Alexander after they rebelled, unlesssss, you want to make it some kind of Macedonians vs. Thebans scenario, which could be cool.

thebes_map.gif

Spoiler alert: Alexander won.

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone
  • Like 1