Desired gameplay(planned) features for A23

Lion.Kanzen

It is an interesting proposal but there are a couple of things to consider:

capturing in 0ad isn't like capturing in aoe because you won't convert a sheep if discovered but you should be able to capture it by getting near the animal with a bunch of soldiers and this requires effort and perhaps a textual notification (while capturing a relic is noticeable from the top left icon).

A food trickle would kill the corral food production feature and perhaps make previously trained cavalry (used to hunt animals, capture a relic, harrass enemies) completely idle and only military wise, probably capturing sheep and garrison them into corrals could reduce corral  animals training time (i guess that feature is already mentioned in as animal herding) and keep both features.

Capturing herdable animals like sheep, goats, cows or the like is nice but not like AoE2 which they could ridiculously  use it to scout. It should be only herdable towards your CC or territory if your units has it on his/their line of sight. 

I don't see a need or concern about food production since farms can infinitely produce food. I mostly notice that I have more food surplus than any other resources. Food is not even consumed until training units and upgrading techs. But it's just nice/real to add a trickle of food income from corrals or say a ranch if there are lives ones inside.  Who knows one day they might add aura to units with different type of food being collected. 

Decay of dead animal food source if not collected at certain time. 

Deleting units is nice when playing single player but just not nice in multiplayer.

Deleting structures if already built be replaced with razing.

Capturing structures be limited to foot units.  

Capturing units would really be a nice feature. I know there are plans for unit conversion but capturing units beginning from 1/4 HP should be possible if the unit being captured doesn't fight back. 

Naval warships be promoted. Buff some ships like Juggernaut and the likes because they lose to regular ships. 

Cavalry not to be used as hunters and can only be produced from stables or barracks. Rather make hunters available in CC. 

I noticed scouting is not really heavy in 0AD. Why not use a real scout. Somehow a very unrealistic tech in market makes you see your allies activity and structures. If flaring and signaling is available in A22(should have been done in the very beginning of alphas) then this tech should be researchable in other buildings like CC or any specialized building/s in the later phase/s.

Defense towers and outposts can't be built outside any structure LOS. 

Forts cant be built too close to CC and/or outside some structure LOS. 

I know some or most of my thoughts are crazy but that's just my opinion...

Edited by Servo

3 hours ago, fatherbushido said:

@Grugnas: don't mislead (structure /  mechanical) capture and animal conversion (TBD).

conversion intended as: "i saw you and now you are mine!" (aoe sheeps convertsion style) for something not consumable and that provides benefit to a player seems hard to achieve if the unit in question is randomly generated somewhere in the map and it has to be brought in own base (indeed there will be many back and forth in order to re convert the unit and perhaps a capture-like system would work)  unless there isn't something like priests in aoe who, once captured a relic, they bring it to a temple (a woman carrying a sheep to his base looks quite fun).

I don't see a need or concern about food production since farms can infinitely produce food. I mostly notice that I have more food surplus than any other resources. Food is not even consumed until training units and upgrading techs. But it's just nice/real to add a trickle of food income from corrals or say a ranch if there are lives ones inside.  Who knows one day they might add aura to units with different type of food being collected.

@Servo Farms can infinitely produce food but in my opinion the most important aspect of managing own economy is to minimize the number of units involved into economy and focus, perhaps latter in the game, into the military part of the game (sieges require pop). Thereby the amount of food you need for late game is lower than the amount of food provided by the grain fields you have to build during the game in order to sustain a constant units production until the population cap (unless you plan to train cavalry champion which is an extremely food hungry unit). Perhaps it also depends on the population cap.

• Like 2

Well, I must be one of the few who would not want to see lots of new things.
I'd like to see optimizations in lag (multicores) and mainly in pathfinder.

Ony two new things that I would like to see:

1- Counter system

2- Hotkeys for buildings

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, stanislas69 said:

@borg- Counter would not be new :P Just a step back to where it was in A16 I think

About hotkeys, there is a patch lying somewhere  which allowed to switch between entities, it's probably outdated now but does it do what you want ?

https://trac.wildfiregames.com/ticket/1492

https://trac.wildfiregames.com/ticket/1899

The best games I played were in a16.

On hotkeys, I would like something editable, that we could customized, as in other rts.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Servo said:

Capturing herdable animals like sheep, goats, cows or the like is nice but not like AoE2 which they could ridiculously  use it to scout. It should be only herdable towards your CC or territory if your units has it on his/their line of sight. 

First part is simple by slowing their movement speed and reducing their vision range. 2nd part is just needless micro.

Decay of dead animal food source if not collected at certain time. 

This provides a nice bonus to raiding. Thanks for mentioning it.

Defense towers and outposts can't be built outside any structure LOS. 

Defense towers it doesn't matter, since you have to build them within the terriory anyway. Outposts sounds silly, since their whole point is to be placed way out in the open to help as an early warning signal.

19 hours ago, Grugnas said:

A food trickle would kill the corral food production feature and perhaps make previously trained cavalry (used to hunt animals, capture a relic, harrass enemies) completely idle and only military wise, probably capturing sheep and garrison them into corrals could reduce corral  animals training time (i guess that feature is already mentioned in as animal herding) and keep both features.

A food trickle does no such thing...? It just changes the mechanics of the corral.

20 hours ago, elexis said:

Removing the distance relation means that a player can use the smallest part of the map and turtle up there, whereas now the player is driven into maximizing the map control which proportionally opens up possibilities for the enemy to attack. Also consider that the more resources a trade cart carries, the higher the profit of enemies killing that trade cart. If you're playing on a small map, all players have smaller profits, so it's still worthwhile if you're playing a longer game and ran out of resources. Maybe we could factor in the mapsize though, so that we get more profit on the same distance on smaller maps and not a gigantic profit on large maps.

Yeah, removing the distance relationship is a bad move.

1 hour ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

A food trickle does no such thing...? It just changes the mechanics of the corral.

didn't you say that corrals intended as building only purpose would be to only provide a trickle of food per sheep garrisoned in it without possibility to train sheep to let cavalry hunt?

en las formaciones versión nex sin buged?

para el nuevo Concursare formación tipo 

Concursare consistía en un ataque en masa, en aparente desorden. En un momento, antes de estar bajo el alcance de los proyectiles romanos, se le dio una señal y el ejército Ibérica se detuvo y comenzó a retirarse, dando la impresión que dejaron el campo de batalla. Esta secuencia de ataque-retiro se repitió una y otra vez, durante todo el día, durante varios días. Toda revocación aparente de los ibéricos fue seguido por un intento de perseguir a los legionarios romanos, mientras trataban de mantener la formación. A menudo sucedía que los romanos perdieron sus nervios y la disciplina, rompió la formación y se lanzaron violentamente en la búsqueda de los ibéricos. Entonces sonó otra señal, los ibéricos se reagruparon rápidamente y se montó un contragolpe, la carga a toda velocidad por los legionarios, que perdieron la formación y aunque estaban mejor equipados que los ibéricos, eran menos ágiles en el combate cuerpo a cuerpo

Edited by soloooy0

9 hours ago, Grugnas said:

didn't you say that corrals intended as building only purpose would be to only provide a trickle of food per sheep garrisoned in it without possibility to train sheep to let cavalry hunt?

I just threw that out there as a possibility. Cavalry can still hunt even if sheep are removed. There are things called huntable animals and they can gather the "sheep" you find too if you don't want to wait for the trickle.

9 hours ago, soloooy0 said:

Concursare consistía en un ataque en masa, en aparente desorden. En un momento, antes de estar bajo el alcance de los proyectiles romanos, se le dio una señal y el ejército Ibérica se detuvo y comenzó a retirarse, dando la impresión que dejaron el campo de batalla. Esta secuencia de ataque-retiro se repitió una y otra vez, durante todo el día, durante varios días. Toda revocación aparente de los ibéricos fue seguido por un intento de perseguir a los legionarios romanos, mientras trataban de mantener la formación. A menudo sucedía que los romanos perdieron sus nervios y la disciplina, rompió la formación y se lanzaron violentamente en la búsqueda de los ibéricos. Entonces sonó otra señal, los ibéricos se reagruparon rápidamente y se montó un contragolpe, la carga a toda velocidad por los legionarios, que perdieron la formación y aunque estaban mejor equipados que los ibéricos, eran menos ágiles en el combate cuerpo a cuerpo

In nex version formations without buged?

For the new Concursare type training

Concursare consisted of a mass attack, in apparent disorder. In a moment, before being under the scope of the Roman projectiles, a signal was given to him and the Iberian army stopped and began to retire, giving the impression that they left the field of battle. This attack-retreat sequence was repeated over and over, throughout the day, for several days. Every apparent revocation of the Iberians was followed by an attempt to persecute the Roman legionnaires, while trying to maintain the formation. It often happened that the Romans lost their nerves and discipline, broke the formation and rushed wildly in the pursuit of the Iberians. Then another signal sounded, the Iberians regrouped quickly and mounted a counterattack, charging at full speed by the legionaries, who lost the formation and although they were better equipped than the Iberians, were less agile in the close combat

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, soloooy0 said:

Although I think it would need moral system the game for that?

Well, the "fake retreat" tactic could be used right now by the player, it just takes a lot of micromanagement. You retreat and the enemy's units will follow yours in disarray, and then you can counterattack and kill the enemy units easier. You can already do that. Works especially well aganist the AI, less well against a human, but with the game's current mechanics it's difficult for humans to control their troops, so it's a good bet it'll work against humans too from time to time, as a human's attention is elsewhere. Doesn't take morale. But what you're wanting is special formation that uses this behavior automatically, right?

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone

11 hours ago, soloooy0 said:

En las proximas versiones que las formaciones no esten bug?

11 hours ago, soloooy0 said:

Nueva formación tipo Concursare?

No entiendo que quieres decir...

Edited by Skhorn

29 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Pues bien, la táctica de "falso refugio" podría utilizarse en este momento por el jugador, sólo se necesita una gran cantidad de micro. Te retiras y las unidades del enemigo seguirá la suya en desorden, y luego se puede contraatacar y matar a las unidades enemigas más fácil. Ya se puede hacer eso. Funciona especialmente bien aganist la IA, menos bien contra un ser humano, pero con la mecánica actual del juego que es difícil para los seres humanos para el control de sus tropas, por lo que es una buena apuesta que va a trabajar en contra de los seres humanos también de vez en cuando, ya que la atención de un ser humano es en otra parte. No hace falta ser moral. Pero lo que está queriendo es la formación especial que utiliza este comportamiento de forma automática, ¿verdad?

seria hacer algo parecido a poner un punto de retirada después avanzar las unidades manualmente y tocar un botón para que vuelvan solas y mantengan la posición 

ya que se trata de una formación que es muy posible que evite proyectiles y esta pensada para eso seria con un poco de distancia entre unidades

It would be to do something like putting a withdrawal point then moving the units manually and touching a button to return them alone and hold the position

Since it is a training that is very possible to avoid projectiles and this thought for that would be with a little distance between units

Idk if this is an issue previously and corrected in A22 but zooming out needs to go farther IMO. I also don't know if there's a difference in zooming out between windows and OS X but seem that windows can zoom out farther. Or maybe the more bigger screen you have the less likely you can zoom out farther. 

I think there is a minimum/maximum zoom in and out and hoping that zooming out can have more. Currently I'm using I guess 24 " screen and it's quite better to use in multiplayer but if you're doing sim city on single player zooming out can't show very well your built empire. 

• Like 2

Since this thread has somewhat become a more specific "Suggestions for 0 A.D.", I'll just reiterate my suggestion which is a little bit similar to wow's suggestion above.

This time, as an observer / replay viewer.

suggestion.png.4737c81c28a5284a592bb9a639d095d9.png

Yep. The difference is that the current unit/tech is displayed above the building. And I did consider this being a default-but-optional feature... meaning it can be toggled on/off.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, sphyrth said:

Since this thread has somewhat become a more specific "Suggestions for 0 A.D.", I'll just reiterate my suggestion which is a little bit similar to wow's suggestion above.

This time, as an observer / replay viewer.

suggestion.png.4737c81c28a5284a592bb9a639d095d9.png

Yep. The difference is that the current unit/tech is displayed above the building. And I did consider this being a default-but-optional feature... meaning it can be toggled on/off.

Hell, make that a part of the current TAB feature. Replays AND while playing a match. It could show whatever the production queue is doing: training a unit or researching a tech, and include any upgrading happening.

BTW -- I'm not suggesting anything that couldn't be done within the next, oh, 8 months between now and Alpha 23. So, it's less of a generic "suggestions" thread to me and more of a realistic features list for A23.

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone
  • Like 4