Desired gameplay(planned) features for A23

Lion.Kanzen

I rember when mythos creating topic asking to community the desire features.

I ask you which are the planned awaited features that you most want to see in A23 ( November/December)

think realistic, many needs more than an alpha to see the light.

Edited by Lion.Kanzen

Implement some of the longstanding gameplay elements that have been forgotten about:

1. Capturing and Garrisoning animals in corrals -- with food trickle.
    • Spoiler

Extension?: Training sheep, etc. is disabled until 2 of an animal type are corralled. ;) 

2. Charging.

And then also coaxing @Enrique into completing the new cavalry animations and getting those all set into the game.

Spoiler

Add a surprise civ like the old days. Or maybe bundle together the Chinese and add them as a bundled mod.

It would be nice to animate the Zebu for the Mauryan Indians.

Also, add Auroch and Zebu to the game finally as fauna. And generic "Cattle" for eventual capture/corral feature.

Oh, and some ideas for replays/observers: When you choose 'Observer' in the drop down:

1. Add the resource icons back to the upper left, hover to see the resource counts for ALL players. Right now there's nothing.
  2. Hitting TAB enables status bars for every single thing in the game.
Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone
  • Like 6

Darcraven ideas aren't official 

1. I want  some new kind of conversion like capture animals.
  2. better implementation of spies.
  3. counter system ( even old AoE have one and Upatch gives good balance)
  4. hotkey implementation to buildings
  5. a new game mode. King of the hill , may be.
  6. improved nomad map.
  7. some Delenda Est concep bring to main game.

1 You can  see it here #997

Edited by Lion.Kanzen
  • Like 1

For now (Singleplayer) better AI behavior like they build properly, they make better armies and they battle intelligently.

1. More maps (bigger to accommodate more players)like Alphine mountains (merc camps and Gaia units). Or this kind of map put to random map so number of players and map size can be varied. With more wild animal types too.

2.  Better Island naval maps(island spacing wide enough for ships to move freely).

As Sundiata said dream some more features. CC produce resource gatherers (farmers, lumberjacks, miners and hunters).

Military units just fight or do battle and can be produced in military structures only. The starting units can just do skirmish. Make unit purchases increase as numbers increase so that players could tend to value every unit he/she makes.  

I play multiplayer but it's just very messy. The easier to build structures and units coupled with easy resources gathering the messy the game becomes. Players are also too crazy about the very fast normal speed but in the end unit controls and counters have no sense. 

Organic units destroying buildings easily are too OP. Slingers are OP. I can't imagine a structure like houses can be destroyed easily using slings, swords etc much more bigger buildings. I don't mind easy capturing if they are not garrisoned but destroying is too much just in a few seconds!

When host leaves the game can other players continue and the one who left becomes AI or game can be turned into diplomacy. 

More buildings and structures needed. 

Regeneration of resources and habitat...

Military units just fight or do battle and can be produced in military structures only. The starting units can just do skirmish. Make unit purchases increase as numbers increase so that players could tend to value every unit he/she makes. 

We have a disagreement here. My opinion the units could be more resistant even if are the counter. This way the player can do some micro and save expensive units.

Organic units destroying buildings easily are too OP. Slingers are OP. I can't imagine a structure like houses can be destroyed easily using slings, swords etc much more bigger buildings. I don't mind easy capturing if they are not garrisoned but destroying is too much just in a few seconds!

They slinger was nerfed.

More buildings and structures needed. 

This is complicated. , because needs improves GUI, I have that issue in Aristeia mod.

Still think a resource trickle for corrals is boring and doesn't require any investment or skill of the player.

"status bars for every single thing in the game" as in gaia resources too? Otherwise it's the case already.

"resource counts for all players" as in showing the sum of resources all players currently have?

12 hours ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

I rember when mythos creating topic asking to community the desire features.

I ask you which are the planned awaited features that you most want to see in A23 ( November/December)

think realistic, many needs more than an alpha to see the light.

Can I write a TODO list for you guys too? Hope you didn't plan anything until November/December.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Servo said:

Or this kind of map put to random map so number of players and map size can be varied.

That is a feature I actually would use. Would be awesome to not know how big a map was or how many players there were. Obviously, for the player count you would know that it was greater than or equal to the number of human players, but you wouldn't know if there were going to be some AI players sneaking about. I hope this gets implemented someday.

Edited by WhiteTreePaladin
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, elexis said:

Still think a resource trickle for corrals is boring and doesn't require any investment or skill of the player.

Ehh, you could say this about a number of thing in the game, and also about relics in general. How much skill is there capturing catafalques and gaining a boatload of free auras? AOK and AOM had relics which function very similarly to the catafalques and to my concept of the corral and animal capture. If anything I would remove the animal training from the corral entirely to focus it specifically on the corralling aspect.

"status bars for every single thing in the game" as in gaia resources too? Otherwise it's the case already.

Yeah, every single thing. Just go all the way with it.

"resource counts for all players" as in showing the sum of resources all players currently have?

Well, right. Currently you have to go to the individual player views and then to compare resources with other players you hover over their res icons. In general observer mode you could compare them all at once instead of having to swap to a player view. Just a minor thing really, but something that jumped out at me the last time I watched replay videos.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Well, right. Currently you have to go to the individual player views and then to compare resources with other players you hover over their res icons. In general observer mode you could compare them all at once instead of having to swap to a player view. Just a minor thing really, but something that jumped out at me the last time I watched replay videos.

Like this?:

Spoiler

screenshot0081.png

(Just hacked together atm ;))

• Like 3

Absolutely agree that it's annoying to not have this information unless selecting a player view. However it seems ugly to have those resource icons but no numbers there (Maybe the sum or something else would add kind of interesting information and fix that visual difference).

About status bars for gaia, how about showing them for structures and units but not for resources? Status bars for trees seem a bit ugly, you can test it when switching to gaia.

About corrals/relics, I'd rather add a mechanism for the player to make use of the corrals than removing the mechanism of corrals if we had the choice. If there was trickle, it should be really unrewarding, otherwise you can just build it and forget about it and invest all the population into military. No more fine balancing of the economy which allows players to distinguish themselves, nay?

• Like 2

Pathfinding improvements. It's always sad when units get stuck on something or line up in a long row to walk anywhere.

Territory/capture rethink. I haven't looked into the history, but the current system seems pretty arbitrary.

Market/trading rethink. This also seems pretty arbitrary. For example, trading routes half as long generate income at half the rate, which makes trading useless on small maps and between nearby allies.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, elexis said:

About corrals/relics, I'd rather add a mechanism for the player to make use of the corrals than removing the mechanism of corrals if we had the choice. If there was trickle, it should be really unrewarding, otherwise you can just build it and forget about it and invest all the population into military. No more fine balancing of the economy which allows players to distinguish themselves, nay?

If I remember correctly, it was said that the current mechanics of the corral was just a temporary hack until the corralling feature was implemented. I figured you guys would want to finish off the original plan for the corral because right now it's kind of superfluous. I characterized capturing animals like relics to illustrate its similarity with relic capturing in AOE games, while obviously being unique to 0 a.d. I personally would not find it unrewarding to find and capture gaia sheep and goats and cattle and get a nice little trickle boost for garrisoning them. I didn't find capturing relics in AOK unrewarding. YMMV.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, temple said:

For example, trading routes half as long generate income at half the rate, which makes trading useless on small maps and between nearby allies.

Removing the distance relation means that a player can use the smallest part of the map and turtle up there, whereas now the player is driven into maximizing the map control which proportionally opens up possibilities for the enemy to attack. Also consider that the more resources a trade cart carries, the higher the profit of enemies killing that trade cart. If you're playing on a small map, all players have smaller profits, so it's still worthwhile if you're playing a longer game and ran out of resources. Maybe we could factor in the mapsize though, so that we get more profit on the same distance on smaller maps and not a gigantic profit on large maps.

7 hours ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

I figured you guys would want to finish off the original plan for the corral because right now it's kind of superfluous.

We should be bound by what is a good plan, not necessarily what was the original plan, they may or may not coincide.

Not superfluous, it is a nice choice between fields and corrals, both have advantages and disadvantages. I'd really not remove it, even if people didn't foresee the gameplay effect it has. One can spend hundreds of games multiple months trying out different corral build orders, something which I don't expect if they only work when capturing animals.

I characterized capturing animals like relics

This sounds like a good aspect indeed, but we shouldn't remove the production queue IMO. It really allows players to make big mistakes (investing all food into sheep instead of mankind) but also enables players to get great profits if cared about (not only putting women on fields and then never caring about that part of the economy anymore).

I personally would not find it unrewarding to find and capture gaia sheep and goats and cattle and get a nice little trickle boost for garrisoning them

With unrewarding I meant it shouldn't be able to replace the food economy, or become optional if so. Capturing sheep and garrisoning them into corrals would be nice, but it's not like current corrals mechanics are bad and should be removed IMO

• Like 1