Unit Stance.

Render

In Aok, Aom and other RTS games the unit stance has had little effect on game play as when and attack is encountered units soon break stance anyway.

Last night as I was sitting on the loo I came up with this Idea.

Special Stances for some unit groups

• Blitzkrieg - Avaliable to Blitz units only.

When in this stance Units gain a fair increased attack and speed at a substantial loss of defence. A Blitz is a rush attack so their speed should increace greatly in the last 10 meters (by scale) befor encountering an enemy unit or building (A rush like this occours only once in a battle so that they dont have a continual rush effect in enemy teritory.)

[*]Skermish - Avaliable to Skermish units only.

When in this stance Units gain a greater increase in speed and ranged attack again at a loss of defence.

Do you think this could work?

It'll be great to have formations/stances effect units properly. ;) Age games only had Stand Ground as a useful thing for siege and archers.

Y'know.. how about a two-way thing? Each formation effects units differently, then each stances effect them differently also. You could have stance A *and* formation B for incredible speed at the expense of attack power, or have stance A and C for decent attack/speed for lower armour, etc. Maybe too complex. ;)

Ok great, Well I thought of another one also.

"Needs Propper Name" (Tank) - Tight packed formation greatly decreased speed greatly Increaced Attack and Defence.

How can we stop people from switching stances willy nilly? Blitz for example when going into and attack change to "Tank" when in the thick of a battle then to skermish to pull out?

That you can only change your stance every ten seconds or something? Alternatively, switching into stances could take some time, because really, mid-battle formation switch only works in modern warfare, and not always even in that case. ;) It'd be stupid to say "oh, i'm in a line formation now" if there is no battle line and everyone's in a skirmish.

Well, I think it would take time for the units to switch their formation, 5 seconds or so and they would physically move themselves in position. That way people will be at a disadvantage if they decide to switch their formation in the middle of a battle, it'll prevent people from using formations the wrong way.

Let us imagine a two-way bonus/penalty system. Spear-based infantry, for example, might have the conventional RTS bonus of, say, 1.2x attack against cavalry. To most people it would be common sense, and I'm sure you don't want a speech bubble around each spearman saying "I have a bonus against cavalry." ;) Now, then, you could also have the X formation, a nice icon of raised spears, a help bubble (á la AOM) detailing its additional bonus against cavalry, but penalty against archers. A newbie not using formations to his advantage is simply like not using unit stances to his advantage; one would have to pick up on it.

Also, I don't know how fast-paced 0AD combat is, but if it's going to have things like formations, it'll have to be a *bit* slower than the AOM/WCIII line.

In Empires: DotMW there or very often two attack options, its really cool!

I think that if i ever made a RTS, the units should be VERY cheep, so that BIG battles where very often. AND units shouldnt have much health, it would have been realistic, so one arrow is enough to kill a soldier!

An auto-scout function is a must have now. About every new game has this, I guess.

But I think that function is a bit limited, you just say to the unit:"Hey, just walk around anywhere you want." That's not really realistic.

I might want a unit to scout, say, the upper right corner of the screen. Then I don't want him to walk into the nearest fog of war, I want him to go to that corner and do some exploring over there.

Yeah it would be cool if for example an archer shoots a unit with no armor, there will be a 20% chance the unit dies, 40% unit gets wounded, 40% chance miss.

YEs! Would have been cool? Slaughter like 300 units in 30 seconds, and the chance for missing gotta be some smaller, like hit 50 %, wound 30% miss 20%. But it gotta depend on distance, if the object is moving, and so on!