Age of Empires definitive edition [remaster]

It's impressive the changes you're ruining these games with.

Especially these versions (steam and Windows store).

• Is Windows 10 may update 1903 exclusive.
  • Not full Xbox services in steam
  • Game bar forced to be installed.

This requeriments forces many bugs apparently . You can read how full of them is the forum. Any suggestions about other matters.

The new client bring a lot of bugs.

Hello folks, players and guys from microsoft.

I know there are other topics about some current bugs but ill try to get all of them listed in 1 topic, so hopefully we can give and get a real feedback of whats going in the game and make it easier for microsoft guys. i will edit the topic if any new bug is reported or if the bug is fixed.

I am an old schol aoe player, i have been playing since 1999, i even played the age of empires 1 trial version in the old zone.com, after zone died, i played on game spy, gameranger, ESO (age3) and Voobly.
I played all age of empires games except mitology, also i am an expert and some times streamer of the game. Age of empires is my favorite game franchise ever!

That said i think i am in position to give a clear feedback of what we need to make AoE DE a great and powerful game. I really wanna help. The steam release, the cross plataform play and improved network code were all a good move! But…

First, i will list bugs and things that got worse after new version-build :

A) In game (game play):

1- Low FPS Issue (should be number 1 priority right now).

• The game goes into extreme lag mode in 3v3, 4v4 games when the pop reaches high value. It is almost unplayable. Somehow it is unable to carry the load if there are too much units on the map. Many people have already complained about it. Im talking about players who played many games in old build and in new build, they never had this issue in the old build. Game optimization somehow got worse ? Many players with high end pc are having this issue as well.

2- Rally point - unbuilt building

• In old version we were able to make rally point before the building is 100% done. It helped us to save some time. Now we have to wait the building to be 100% done and the make a rally point.

B) Lobby System:

1- Chat Bug (a lobby bug as well as in game bug - should be a priority as well) - reported by zeda0
- The multiplayer chat function is broken. The last player to join the lobby is autmatically muted and other cannot see their chats in the lobby and in the game. In 1v1 - 2nd player is muted. 3v3 - 6th player is muted. 4v4 - 8th player is muted and so on.

2- Broken Random Team (was working fine in old cliente)- As user JoonasTop said
if we have ? teams there is no change to ELO rating.
The random teams also doesn’t work right if someone has a set team. So if five players are ? and one is team 2 the end result can be three different teams.

3- Lobby Chat
The multiplayer lobby chat is also not conducive to conversation between players. It only shows three lines of text at a time. (as reported by RadiatingBlade)

• Cannot scroll lobby chat with my mouse wheel. Also chat box is too small (reported by KingHabibi123)

4- Multiplayer game setting
Once we select a preferred random map game mode, (1v1, 2v2, 3v3, 4v4 or 8P FFA), there is no option to change it after the lobby has been created. What if we want to play a 4P FFA? Not an option. What if the players change their mind and want to play on different team setup? Not an option. The previous multiplayer lobby gave hosts the freedom to change their game setup as needed and was just fine. (reported by Radiating Blade).
I think maybe it was made to make it easier for elo matchs, but i think there are other ways for elo system check if the game played was 1vs1 or a team game. Should be like before, just ddd elos to custom lobbies, we just pick the settings and turn on and off ELO, the game should report what kinda of game was played (RM , DM, 1x1 or team game).

5- There is no spectating option in elo games.

• If you host a 1x1 RM Elo, there are only 2 spots available, making it impossible to spectate.

6- Buttons on the game launch lobby are unresponsive or slow - can check by selecting teams (reported by zeda0)

• When changing teams (1,2,3,4), there is a delay

7- Default filter (reported by eartahhj)
I played a 3v3 created by me, when I went back to the lobby browser the “3v3” filter was selected, but this is not correct in my opinion, because it makes no sense that I have to choose “Any” every time after playing a game. This actually happens with 2v2 and 4v4 also (i didn’t play 4v4 or ffa yet)

8- Player color issue
- When you join a lobby, you will get the color of which player spot you are in (1=blue 2=red 3=yellow etc) even if another player already is that color, which wasn’t a problem in the older version. (Reported by Batune)

9- Many times we have to refresh 2 times to find the game rooms

10- Pong Column (reported by eartahhj)

• There was a “Ping” column, very usefull to see if the game could lag. Any idead why it got removed ?

11- We loved how elo ratings were separated in RM, DM, 1x1, 2x2 etc. But most of us think that RM 1x1, RM Team game, DM 1x1 and DM Team Game are enough.

C) Splited community

• Players are still playing in old client, the old MS Store version. Most of them dont know about the new version and-or dont know how to update. I dont exactly understand the reason why keep 2 versions. For me, should force the update, just like the previous builds. However, it should be easier for those players upgrade the game to current version. Most players dont check the official site, forums or barely speak english. It should redirect the players to upgrade the new version, if they they still dont have the win 10 1903 version, they should be automatically be warned that its mandatory to play the current Age DE version. People will lose interest if they dont find games to play.

Hello,
hi read, and try the new client and WTF the problem that we have are the same that was resolved in the xbox client 1 years ago?
Who test this version?
Why not release a client on steam like the latest client in xbox?
We have really the same problem of 1 year ago, the team ? wont work, the performance issues, the chat but, cant see ping etc, and also the rating games are just ridicoulos, we need a integrated sistem that rank 1v1 RM 1v1 DM , team RM and team DM , not 1v1 , 2v2 , 3v3 , 4v4 , where if u set a 4v4 and start a 3v3 cause u dont find people is not rated… Who use the brain in this release?
We need to improve this game , if developer work and improve some feature u release a version that havent this improvement?

On 8/22/2019 at 8:27 AM, Alexandermb said:

Was this already shared in here?

Reveal hidden contents

That's other topic.

Finally, I bought it. I would say that, although not perfect, the game in SP is a huge improvement.

The really thing that I miss is the lack of gates (and the addition of triggers would have been a very quality improvement). Some guys before the launch, were complaining about farm reseeding saying that the game have been dumbed down for kids :self_hammer:

• Like 2

I don’t think it’s a problem coming from developers. Being a web developer myself I can quite understand, of course it’s just my opinion. I think the problem is that they have a deadline, even if they know it is hard to mantain, because marketing and commercial offices will not accept a change in the deadline. So they can find a lot of problems during development, but instead of postponing the deadline, the company decides to come out with a product with problems, knowing that people will play it anyway because they bought it, so… Maybe they had to start from a previous codebase to remake the part regarding cross platforms, because maybe initially they didn’t plan to come out on Steam and developers made a project based on MS Store, and maybe it was easier for them to start from some steps back instead of starting from the current branch. Now, they don’t answer much because marketing and/or communication teams said not to answer. Of course this is just a mere hypotesis. I could be completely wrong.

Many times the fact that it was launched in Steam did not guarantee anything.

2 hours ago, LordGood said:

I like it, there's a classic mode toggle if you're feeling nostalgic and it loads original AoE sprites and mechanics if you don't like the gritty definitive look

win/win i say, Glad it happened before my old copy of AoE stopped working lol

You try Upatch?

https://upatch-hd.weebly.com/

Edited by Lion.Kanzen

• 4 weeks later...

its a shame. One my fav game. :(

I have an unusual gaming setup I admit, but there’s no reason it shouldn’t be able to run Age of Empires: Definitive Edition at least as well as computers 20 years ago could run the original.

I have a Razer Blade Stealth QHD+ i7 7500U thunderbolted to an external NVIDIA 1070. I understand that this makes my GPU heavily reliant on my CPU, but I have absolutely no problem running more modern games including GTA V and Call of Duty Modern Warfare at 4K 60fps. The fact that I can’t at any resolution, with any amount of tinkering eek out more than 20fps from AoE:DE without having it drain my laptops battery faster than the wall can charge it is totally ridiculous.

I’d imagine this has to do with the devs building this game using the same rendering code as the 20 year old original, but what do I know? I’m just a dumb player.

The point of this rant is twofold: to ask for serious help from the developers in making these games (including AoE2DE) run as easily as possible on all machines, which I’m shocked they don’t already, and to provide a stern warning that these games are not going to fare well if released as an unoptimized mess.

I’m open to any suggestions if there’s a known fix, but from what I’ve read so far the universal fix is to request a refund. I don’t want it to come to that. Please devs fix this game

But they are professionals and they recieve some money...why?

There is way to many things going wrong in this game, way too many things.
What ever you did to the priests, you need to undo it
Enemy players magically appear? real nice.
Then for no legit reasoning at all I am defeated? I have hundreds of guys, tons of villagers and building on their side and i am slowly making my way and I just lose all of a sudden for no reason?
Easy mode is harder than standard!
This entire game is a fail and a flop. What a difference playing the original to this.
Goes to show that what ever is going on at microsoft proves that everything they touch, they ruin and microsoft needs to stop
this game is an embarrassment

They fix then they broke it again.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

There is no future for AoE DE. MS doesn’t care, FE barely cares. There are still so many things that need to be added or fixed for DE to truly shine, one prime example being the lack of bitmaps in custom scenarios, or even more absurd and funny and sad: the title graphic at the main menu still isn’t centered in relation to the menu buttons. Cheat unit graphics that are still not updated… missing LAN… I could go on and on. And looking at all these bug reports in here, and seeing (surprise!) ZERO, ABSOLUTELY ZERO RESPONSE FROM THE DEVELOPERS OR MICROSOFT, there is no future. They DO NOT LISTEN TO FEEDBACK FROM US AT ALL. All resources are moved to AoE2 DE, support and further development quickly ends afterwards, just like AoE DE, AoM extended edition. For AoE3 DE? Rinse and repeat. I feel sad for a few FE developers who actually do put great effort in this only to see it crumble due to mainly bureaucratic fools making idiot decisions at MS headquarters. But in FE there are people too who simply don’t care - quality or high standards for maintaining and polishing a product is nowhere to be found.

MS is abandoning AoE 1 again... Sad.

https://forums.ageofempires.com/t/future-of-age-of-empires-definitive-edition/63438/4

This is just not what age of empires deserved. I bet Microsoft/FE doesn’t even read the posts in this thread any more. I hope that they at least fix the major bugs in AoE II: DE, but chances are good that it will be abandoned just like AoE: DE.

That's why 0 A.D covers great that hole.

Edited by Lion.Kanzen

• 7 months later...
On 8/27/2019 at 5:01 PM, av93 said:

Finally, I bought it. I would say that, although not perfect, the game in SP is a huge improvement.

The really thing that I miss is the lack of gates (and the addition of triggers would have been a very quality improvement). Some guys before the launch, were complaining about farm reseeding saying that the game have been dumbed down for kids :self_hammer:

I think it's quite good, yes, though clearly not as lovingly done as AoE2: DE.

Edited by Andrettin
  • Like 1