Similar game to 0AD?

I recently bumped into this game called northgard. It's in early access and i noticed it had similar mechanics to 0ad in some ways. The territory concept is the same, and a lot of the art feels like the Gauls or Britons. I have played it for an hour now, and it is quite different to 0ad, but can't shake that feeling that it is somehow similar.

Anyway, it wasn't really my type of game, but here are some screenshots and maybe if people are interested in gameplay ideas, check it out.

images (20).jpg

images (19).jpg

images (18).jpg

• Like 1

I think it's definitely well crafted and thought through, but yea the game doesn't suit me. I don't like the idea of only having a certain number of buildings in an area (though i see why they did that), and the unit control is a bit odd.

4 hours ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

I like the visualization of the territory borders. Nice and graphical. 0 a.d. should follow suit with a more aesthetically pleasing territory border effect than it currently has.

more like this?

ufy3as4.jpg

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the last time I checked the game, its territory mechanic is more or less fixed regardless of where you build your structures.

Check the OP's 2nd screenshot. It looks like the whole map is built with hexagons. So I think when that mechanic is pushed to 0 A.D., your territory will be defined by those pre-defined hexagons... even if you built your CC in the corner of those hexagons.

That is true. Not a huge difference, but yes, when you expand you get a predefined set of land. Not to say that would be a better design than what 0ad has (i do like how it is now), but i imagine predefined sections would be good for ensuring one cannot create too many chokeholds, as well as preventing those annoying situations where you expand, but can't fit a wall in due to a forest or something. Still, the current system is fine in my opinion.

On the point about the line, it seems to be much wider, has a different (less harsh) color, and has some gradual alpha transition.

Edited by Giotto

So, it still is the case. Just in case, I'm not saying whether Northgard's territory mechanic is better or not. I'm saying it's just different.

I wonder how the people here think. Do you like Northgard's fixed territory, or 0 A.D.'s more dynamic territory?