===[TASK]=== Greek Unit Texture (General Thread)

wackyserious

@wackyserious I love them, especially that Kausia cap is really cool (you'll use it for some of the Macedonian and Seleucid units as well?).

One awkward question though: Those double stripes on the tunics, what's the reference? A quick google search only turned up one similar example (with thinner stripes) from a secondary source. I'm not sure, but I think those are closely associated with Roman tunics, not Hellenistic ones... Maybe a slightly different variant is in order, to distinguish them, like only one stripe on the left or right side, or something. I don't know. 

ok, scrap that, I found a Hellenistic reference, from Sidon, Lebanon, but it does show much thinner stripes, different from the Roman looking example in your texture. Maybe just narrow the stripes a little.

Spoiler

96f00786e5caa6ca1cecd24e81db46c1.thumb.jpg.3484e03dc9c2532341ae209c66527c33.jpg

Edited by Sundiata
  • Like 1

On 6/12/2017 at 9:53 AM, wackyserious said:

@wowgetoffyourcellphone @Lion.Kanzen @Sundiata

I need your opinions regarding the straps and belts. Is it too much battle gear?

5a27af610b1f9_120617-Hellenistic.thumb.jpg.43690b5159b4e1532aec4fd533855b4b.jpg

Macedonian or seleucid? Seleucid right? It would be cool to differentiate at first glance all units of different civilizations, even the ones that share cultures. They look very distinctive to the other Hellenic pikemen.

Edited by av93
  • Like 1

On 12/6/2017 at 3:53 AM, wackyserious said:

5a27af610b1f9_120617-Hellenistic.thumb.jpg.43690b5159b4e1532aec4fd533855b4b.jpg

If these are Seleucid, it always bothered me that the Seleucids had the Scarab on their thureos.  I believe we removed the Ptolemaic Eagle from the "pool" of logos the Seleucids could get, and I'm pretty sure @Lion.Kanzen made a Seleucid logo for the thureos, but I can't remember if it has been committed or not...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Phalanx said:

If these are Seleucid, it always bothered me that the Seleucids had the Scarab on their thureos.  I believe we removed the Ptolemaic Eagle from the "pool" of logos the Seleucids could get, and I'm pretty sure @Lion.Kanzen made a Seleucid logo for the thureos, but I can't remember if it has been committed or not...

Isn't a logo its symbol. logo its more corporate meaning. probably @wackyserious can deal with it.

Minus the thureos symbols, these look will be associated mostly to the Hellenistic era greek veterans and settlers of the Diadochi factions.

591fce86bee45_052017-Kleruchoi.jpg.99b0bc27792e9900c010d1638fd7e294.jpg

Earth-toned variations matching the current game texture for the basic thureos spearman.

I was able to reuse parts of some of the current game textures after downsizing to 256x256.

5a2ad20a3946c_120917-Kleruchoi.thumb.jpg.a4a37d8e1fb027ea76c7f0a4cb0d0e19.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
18 minutes ago, Prodigal Son said:

They all look nice, but for gameplay reasons I'd stick with one colour theme per unit, perhaps with minor variations. Maybe the white or bronze one, or a mix of the two (maybe the white shoulder-pteryges on the bronze version), as the less intrussive ones to the various possible teamcolours.

Shouldn't there also be some player color?

And for the remaining color: that could be the different ranks.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Imarok said:

Shouldn't there also be some player color?

And for the remaining color: that could be the different ranks.

Was talking about their main body armor part (here as red, purple, white, bronze) not their entirety. Actually I think player colour (that's what I meant with teamcolour) is generally lacking on most 0 A.D. units, or mixed with other dominant colours that are often used as possible player colours as well, for example here, red. The unit won't look as good clad in full red and the same is true with various possible colour combinations.

While it's not the most historical approach, I think units have to be easily readable, with clear shapes and colours. A single dominant colour as the player colour, then mostly metallic, white-ish and possibly other pale colours for the rest of the skin. Things can change with ranks (although I think example unit here has no ranks) but I'd still keep them somewhat similar to the basic unit.