Spy Trader!

sphyrth

7 hours ago, sphyrth said:

Because new features are more exciting than fixing.

But I do notice those fixes... specifically those nasty release blockers when Alpha 21 was not yet out (gcc, and the ability to train units you're not supposed to from captured buildings).

The problem is the new features bring the bugs. But if no are serious and have consequences are fine. Indeed I'm part of the people How thinks the features in new alphas get some fresh air to the alphas.

My Spy Sheep concept didn't make it through the approvals process. Too "unrealistic" apparently :shrug:

eZjwTGC.png

I kid, I kid!

Classic I think. Not realistic.

19668262.jpg

I grew up playing Settlers III. In that game, you could recruit spies (people, not sheep). They would look like a spy to the player who recruited them, but to any AI or enemy, they would look like one of their own units, until they got too close to combat units that is, after which the disguise wouldn't work anymore, and your spy would be killed. Possible idea?

Ps: players paying attention will notice these spies, because they behave differently from your own units (idle and then moving around without any commands from yourself). 

Edited by Sundiata

I have many ideas how the  unit can be appareance, effects or mechanics.

the first time I saw A unit like this was the Ghost and Dark Templar  in old Starcraft game. But the difference , they are mostly active.

But there is a passive unit.

Observer.gif

This unarmed observation drone looks precisely like what it is: an eye in the sky. Deployed to scout unexplored terrain or enemy terrtory, the observer serves as an invaluable tactical reconnaissance tool for protoss commanders. Heads-up knowledge of enemy movements and logistics often proves to be the difference-maker in an otherwise evenly balanced encounter."

But is mainly undetectable 

The current observer design

Observers intended for combat zones are equipped with a defensive micro-cloaking field. The sensor signature of the drone reduces the field's power requirement and allows the cloak to be maintained for extended periods[2] with little drain to its power core.[9] The field renders them invisible to all but the most advanced of detection technology. Its stealth capabilities are enhanced by its hull, which is fashioned out of a buoyant material that refracts light and masks its diminutive energy signature.[3]

So the units can cloak , these have this appareance for the allies player. The enemy player even can't attack if are undetect.

banshee-zerg-thumb.jpg

Edited by Lion.Kanzen

I'm not tested the idea but, both player sides  can have the control of such unit?

in Sc2 there is a units try to be part of enemy side, the Zerg's Changeling

The changeling game unit has no attack or abilities other than shape-shifting; any weapons it appears to carry are false. Changelings can easily be detected if you select your zealots/marines/zerglings, and use /dance. The changeling will not dance.

The changeling's maximum hit points do not change, but they appear as the duplicated unit's hit points. For instance, a changeling resembling a marine will appear to have 45 hit points, but will in fact still have five hit points.

The unit pretend to be other.

You can use this for many proposals.

I like the role of spy / espionage in Rome Total War.

Your Eyes and Ears 

It's important to see the world. Spies and diplomats both allow you to plunge deep into friendly or enemy territory to get a better view of the world, but spies have such a huge range of sight that they're invaluable in this function. A good spy network will allow you to see invasions long before they're coming, or to look past the front lines deep into enemy lands to see what kind of reinforcements they might bring up. 

For this reason, build out your network as soon as you can. At first you won't be able to -- you'll need your big cities cranking out troops. But as soon as it's practical, start building and sending out your agents to all your neighboring lands. 

I can't stress how important spies are at gathering intelligence. Spy on a city and you'll know exactly what the defenses are and what units you can expect them to build. Spy on an enemy army and you'll see who the general is (if any) and what kinds of troops he has. Is he too heavy on the archers? Assault him with an army strong in cavalry. Knowing what the enemy will field before the battle is a huge advantage.