Source Code / Audio Testing

Luke Farroh

Hello,

I am on a Mac computer. I just downloaded the source code. I don't know that much about code besides if it has to do with audio within a game. I am wondering - Is there a way I can load the code into Unreal Engine and / or Wise that way I can load and test my sounds that I have created within the game?

Thanks in advance!

- Luke Farroh

0 A.D. is using its own engine (called Pyrogenesis), so I doubt you could do anything relevant with any other engine. You shouldn't have to though, just download the release version and use that. I don't think there has been any sound-related changes for a while, so it doesn't affect things in that way. It can be a tiny bit harder (or at least take one more step) to get the release version useful for adding new things, but that's not something which will have any effect long-term.

For the release version files are stored in a zip file, and while you could add sounds to it I think it's a lot easier if you extract that first. I don't know exactly where the installation is to be found on a Mac, but http://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/GameDataPaths should help you if you don't either. The zip file is in binaries\data\mods\public (though paths use forward slashes on a Mac I think?), just extract it in the same place. Sound files are then found in the audio folder, an .ogg file for the sound itself, and an XML file which tells the game where to find it and some parameters related to it. (In the release version there are also .xmb files, but they are just cached versions that the game creates automatically, so you can ignore those.) To add a new sound it's probably easiest to take a look at one of the existing files and base it on that. Depending on what kind of sound it is other files might have to be created/edited as well, but that's beyond the scope of my knowledge. For just simply testing them in the engine, or replacing an existing sound you're fine just editing an existing file though, so that should be a start. Someone else should hopefully be able to help you more.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Luke Farroh said:

[...]load the code into Unreal Engine[...]

If I understand correctly you want to change sounds. Sound files (or their formats) is usually not referred to as code. Do you want to change the format or the content of a sound file?

12 hours ago, Luke Farroh said:

[...]my sounds that I have created within the game[...]

Do you mean you have created a sound (How? Format? Program?) and put it into a game? Into which game?

I don't really understand what you try to achive and what you allready have done so I find it hard to help you. Could you try to explain it in other words?

48 minutes ago, FeXoR said:

If I understand correctly you want to change sounds. Sound files (or their formats) is usually not referred to as code. Do you want to change the format or the content of a sound file?

Do you mean you have created a sound (How? Format? Program?) and put it into a game? Into which game?

I don't really understand what you try to achive and what you allready have done so I find it hard to help you. Could you try to explain it in other words?

I'm pretty sure he just wants to be able to test sounds in 0 A.D. as easily as possible, and thus asked if there was a way to use an existing engine that he is already familiar with :)