Professional Sound Designer / Sound Editor

Hello,

I am Luke Farroh - I am a professional sound designer and sound editor for documentaries, commercials, and film. I love Age of Empires and would love to contribute by creating sounds for the game. I have noticed in several videos that there are some sounds missing while others could use some improvements. 

Thanks!

- Luke Farroh

• Like 3

Welcome. Here a give some links.

Some missing

• incoming messages from Ai or player.
  • player defeat sound
  • Improve bell alert
  • Improve attack alert
  • catapult rock with hit a building
  • is volunteer you can propose new ideas or improvements.

In thislast  link I upload contents  some examples from AoM.

Edited by Lion.Kanzen
  • Like 2

Hello Luke!

Welcome to the forums!

Indeed you noticed right, we're in need of someone that can help with the sound area of the game. 

Do you have any examples of your work? or would you like to make a test sound for us to hear your craft?

I'd be really interested if you could try the game a bit and hear your thoughts about the current state of sound effects in the game. What would you add, what would you change, what would you think it needs more improvement etc...

• Like 5

Hello,

I will be playing some of the game today as I write several notes of which I will have done and posted tonight for us to talk further about the sound of the game. I will also answer all the questions that you have about the curate state of the sound effects, what I will add, and so on.

One of my concerns that I have noticed in recent updates for the game is that it reads - “You can even use parts of the art and sound for your own projects…” Sound is a lot different than art is, audio works as a license not an ownership thus there are a lot of legal things you can not get away with like art. If I make things for the game I want it to stay with in the game. Obviously. I know someone could essentially steal my sounds that I’ve created but I realize that since it’s a computer game and contribution to build the game.

I have also noticed there is not any sound design for companies logo nor for the game so I did sound for them both. You can watch them in the links below. Let me know if you like them and I can send you download link to download them.

Wildfire Games Logo: https://vimeo.com/201169986

0 A.D. Logo: https://vimeo.com/201197558

Thank you!
Edited by Luke Farroh
  • Like 4

Copyright and licensing should practically be the same between art and sound, the usage of the game art is subject to a license as well. And as part of that license it's stated that people can re-use the data for the game (whether art or sound or text, etc) for other projects, provided that they too follow the license which among other things says that things created with the 0 A.D. data must be released under the same license, and that credit must be given. People are however allowed to use it in other projects, whether they are commercial or free.

Please see https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/ for more detailed information, as well as links to the more carefully worded actual license.

If you are not prepared to create sounds and release them under this license, then your sounds are of no use to the project. Your advice/opinion can however still be useful, so don't see this as discouragement of your involvement even if you don't want to release sounds under this license ;) All help is useful :)

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Luke Farroh said:

@Enrique How do you like the sound design for the two logos?

Wildfiregames logo a bit too strong, but awesome nontheless.

0AD Logo sounds incredible. :)

Very nice craftmanship I must say.

Are you still interested in contributing to the game or you don't agree licensing your contributions with CC-BY-SA 3.0?

• Like 2

A @Enrique I will be able to tone it down a bit tonight. I will upload it later with a link for you to hear the revision. 

Then when we approve that, I'll send the download links that way you guys can use them in your videos for the trailers and other things. 

I agree to the Licensing I was just unaware that the game would fall under Creative Commons. 

• Like 4

• 2 months later...

What do you mean with animations? If you mean animations of the in-game units, they can easily be viewed in-game or in the map-editor (called Atlas).

The entire source of the existing sound files and existing art (like models and animations) is also available online.

The audio files f.e. can be found here: https://code.wildfiregames.com/source/0ad/browse/ps/trunk/binaries/data/mods/public/audio/, the audio is encoded in OGG, with additional XML files to define variations (like altering the pitch or volume randomly).

How would I be able to view the animations to be able to sync the sound to them? I would constantly need to replay to be able to create buildings being demolished and that isn't very practical.

I would not be using the existing sound files - I would be creating them from scratch. 

The sounds implemented in the game right now have too much altering and pitch to them and start to sound fake and that could be annoying for a lot of players. This could be solved by a few variations of each sound.