===[TASK]=== African minifaction buildings

Lion.Kanzen

On 4/20/2019 at 6:15 PM, Sundiata said:

@Lion.Kanzen I made a rudimentary map of Africa, roughly from the 3rd century BC to 1st century BC-ish. It's a bit rough on the edges, forgive me :P but it will give you a better understanding than those random general maps that just omit everything. 

1899779949_Africaduring0ADstimeframe.thumb.jpg.393e7d59fd6b59596ad988803b64f59b.jpg

The spaces in between are probably occupied by low density hunter gatherers and even "troglodytes" (cave dwellers). There are probably other cultures that deserve mention on this map as well, but I'm not familiar enough with them. 

For the new southern Africa map, it might be interesting to feature Rhapta as a neutral city (Using Kushite architecture as a placeholder) you can trade with and potentially capture.

Also was Madagascar inhabited by that time ?

Some sources say it was settled in 200 b.c but i am not sure if it that information is accurate

Edited by Ultimate Aurelian
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/8/2020 at 7:39 PM, Ultimate Aurelian said:

For the new southern Africa map, it might be interesting to feature Rhapta as a neutral city (Using Kushite architecture as a placeholder) you can trade with and potentially capture.

I believe it was built from coral stone, and would have looked like some proto-Swahili type architecture. 

On 5/8/2020 at 7:39 PM, Ultimate Aurelian said:

Also was Madagascar inhabited by that time ?

Some sources say it was settled in 200 b.c but i am not sure if it that information is accurate

Possibly just some hunter gatherers, but nothing conclusive. Madagascar was first populated by Indonesians from Borneo, possibly indeed as early as 200 BC, practicing slash and burn agriculture. Later yet they started mixing with Arabs and Bantu-speakers in the medieval period. 

Just now, Ultimate Aurelian said:

So something like medieval Swahili architecture but without the middle eastern influences ?

Yeah, something like that. Swahili, but without the fancy domes. For the record though, the Periplus of the Erythraean Sea already indicates a relationship between the Swahili Coast (named "Azania" in classical sources, and Southern Arabia, as early as the 1st century AD. Of course, it would have been very different from the later muslim Arabia and classical Swahili culture, but still worth a note. 

• Like 2

Just now, Sundiata said:

Yeah, something like that. Swahili, but without the fancy domes. For the record though, the Periplus of the Erythraean Sea already indicates a relationship between the Swahili Coast (named "Azania" in classical sources, and Southern Arabia, as early as the 1st century AD. Of course, it would have been very different from the later muslim Arabia and classical Swahili culture, but still worth a note. 

Yes, Islamic architecture is different from earlier Arabia; mostly due to Persian and Byzantine influence.

• Like 1