[Part III] Faction: The Archaic Hellenes (776-480 B.C.)

Zophim

Post info, sources, suggestions, etc. here.  Be sure to credit your source if you post images or written info.  Below is a basic design document.

hellenes-emblem-gorgon-shield.png

FACTION: Archaic Hellenes
TIMESPAN: 776-480 B.C.
CIV EMBLEM: Gorgon's Head
[thanks to Mythos_Ruler for the emblem!]

UNITS
Note: With these placeholders, citizen soldiers should retain the same appearance regardless of promotion.
The exact corresponding scenario editor actor files are listed beside the unit names below, followed by the structure(s) from which they can be trained.
CITIZEN CAVALRY
Greek Horseman – spart_cavalry_spearman_e (Civ Centre, Barracks)
Thessalian Scout – athen_cavalry_javelinist_b (Barracks)
CITIZEN INFANTRY
Thracian Peltast – athen_infantry_javelinist_b (Civ Centre, Barracks)
Greek Hoplite – spart_infantry_spearman_a (Civ Centre, Barracks)
Cretan Mercenary Archer - athen_marine_infantry_archer_b (Barracks)
CHAMPIONS
Spartan Royal Bodyguard – spart_champion_infantry_spear (Gymnasium)
Greek Officer – theb_champion_swordsman – all variations (Fortress) – gives LOS citizen infantry +10 attack – build limit 5 – auras do not overlap
SIEGE
Battering Ram – spart_mechanical_siege_ram (Fortress)
HEROES
Lycurgus hero – spart_hero_brasidas (Council Chamber)
Solon hero – athen_hero_themistocles (Council Chamber)
Cleisthenes hero – athen_hero_pericles (Council Chamber)
SUPPORT
Greek Slave – athen_support_slave (Civ Centre – only building this unit can be trained from) – can
harvest domestic animals, wood, food (berries and farming), metal, and stone; cannot hunt; cannot
build; cannot fight; fairly easy for enemy to capture; 1 Greek Slave should be included in the starting
units group

Greek Woman – athen_support_female_citizen (Civ Centre, House)
Greek Merchant – athen_support_trader (Market)
Priest of Artemis – athen_support_healer_b (Temple)
NAVAL
Fishing Boat – athen_ship_fishing (Dock)
Merchant Ship – athen_ship_merchant (Dock)
War Ship – athen_ship_bireme (Dock)

STRUCTURES
The exact corresponding scenario editor actor files are listed beside the structure names below, followed by their trainable units.
VILLAGE
Barracks – athen_barracks (Greek Horseman, Thessalian Scout, Thracian Peltast, Greek Hoplite, Cretan Mercenary Archer)
Corral – athen_corral (Goat)
Outpost - athen_outpost
Dock – athen_dock (Fishing Boat, Merchant Ship, War Ship)
Farmstead – athen_farmstead
Farm Field - athen_field
House – athen_house (Greek Woman)
Storehouse - athen_storehouse
TOWN
Civ Centre – athen_civil_centre (Greek Horseman, Thracian Peltast, Greek Hoplite, Greek Woman, Greek Slave) – 1 Greek Slave should be included in the starting units group
Blacksmith - athen_blacksmith
Defense Tower - athen_defense_tower
Market – athen_market (Greek Merchant)
Temple – athen_temple (Priest of Artemis)
City Wall – athen_wall... etc.
CITY
Fortress – athen_fortress (Greek Officer, Battering Ram)
Gymnasium – athen_gymnasion (Spartan Royal Bodyguard)
Council Chamber – athen_prytaneion (Heroes)
Temple of Artemis at Ephesus wonder - athen_wonder

For champions, think really archaic. Maybe something like "Temple Guard" or "Palace Guard", and then maybe "Chariot Champion." Really give these Greek an old school feel. Bell cuirasses, Illyrian helms, barefeet, penis swag, dipylon and boeotian shields.

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

For champions, think really archaic. Maybe something like "Temple Guard" or "Palace Guard", and then maybe "Chariot Champion." Really give these Greek an old school feel. Bell cuirasses, Illyrian helms, barefeet, penis swag, dipylon and boeotian shields.

Ok I know it's just my dirty mind playing tricks on me, but penis swag?

@wowgetoffyourcellphone  I believe war chariots were from an earlier, Mycenaean timeframe though.  And anyway, the current units roster represents the later archaic period, partly for compatibility with the vanilla game placeholders I'm using at the moment.  But I'm not necessarily ruling out depicting some of the older items you mentioned (except for the no-skirt part, for gameplay purposes they will need to at least have a loincloth of some sort).

Edited by Zophim

• s0600204 pinned this topic
  • 3 years later...
On 1/21/2017 at 3:15 PM, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

For heroes and maybe champions; it would be interesting to see heavy armor from later on the archaic period (Full panoply for heroes, champion has chance of having Mitra and/or Thigh guard):

1460928915001.jpg

b4cfb18133674b557dcbd40c0de84e73--corinthian-helmet-greek-history.jpg

f3d1238424e7834c9d889391897109f7.jpg

archaicgreeks.jpg

ArmorC.jpg

Link to detailed pictures of additonal armour pieces:

https://br.pinterest.com/siresasa/ancient-greek-armour-only-historically-accurate/

Edited by Ultimate Aurelian

• 2 years later...

On 06/03/2023 at 1:13 PM, MardukAmmon said:

Hi! I am graduated in ancient history and I have suggestion for a dark age mod for 0 a.d. 

First the ideal mod going do the mid VII bc till the end of VI bc.

for the forge I suggest the brit forge for phase I and spartan forge for the Phase III and the same for the barracks for the mounted units.

I don't want to create new assed but use the already created assets that are used in this game!

I can't do by my self, it is only a suggestion for depict an ancient moment of greek history

1563370699_Ironagecivilcentre.PNG

Civil centre, I used for the first phase the brit civil centre because during the iron age greek used wood houses and palace, but in the beginning of the VI they start to use stone and clay roof. So I chose brit civil centre in the phase I and spartan syssition in the III phase.

178531149_IronTemples.PNG

For the temple i used the same theory, I chose for the phase I the gaul civil centre because resamble the shape of the famous Argos's first temple made by woods, for the Phase III I chose the spartan temple because has the shape of archaic stone greek temple.

55654304_Ironage_gate.PNG

For the defense walls I chose for the phase I the brits wals and for the phase II the kushite, and fort the phase III I suggest the use of spartan defense walls and dors.

Iron age houses.PNG

For the house I suggest for the phase I the brit house, Phase II iberian and Phase III spartan

Iron heavy spears.PNG

For the noble heavy unit i suggest this units. The noble spears used corinthian helmet form champion spearmens spartan, illyrian helmet from spartan sword man, and helmet form middle level spartan hoplite. For the shield they use spartan champion shield, champion swordman shield and macedon champion shield, I think that shield of the lambda (middle level spartan) is anachronistic for archaic greece .

Iron age iron leavy spears.PNG

For the leavy spearman i suggest the spartan javellin skin with iphicrates pelt shield

Iron age horses.PNG

For the Chivalry I suggest for skirmish unit the spartan javellin on a horse, and for mele I suggest noble spears on a horseback like founded on Archaic bronze noble statues