Can I use the Pyrogenesis engine / 0ad in my academic paper?

I'm in the process of constructing an academic text (thesis) for school and I was thinking of utilizing 0ad/Pyrogenesis to help me with my paper.

I'm planning on generating a mod which will help preserve our local history and culture and it will be used in an experiment to see if using video games to demonstrate Historical events help in boosting the academic performance of 3rd Millennium learners.

Is it legal to use the game in my academic paper? What are the things that I should take into consideration if I will use the game in my Thesis? Thanks!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

As long as you don't publicly distribute a modified version of 0 A.D. without making the source available, or something like that that goes against the license, you are free to use 0 A.D. for whatever you want :) So I don't think there's much reason to worry. The thing to be careful with is if you combine 0 A.D./0 A.D. content with other content (whether already existing or newly created) that it should be abiding by the same license. If you are not going to make the result publicly available you wouldn't even have to worry about that though, but I guess at least the thesis will have to be made public? And perhaps the material used as well? Again, it isn't an issue with 0 A.D. it just depends on what you might end up combining it with :) Generally speaking you should be more than fine to use it in your thesis though :)

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

I will be presenting my paper on the next semester. It aims to generate and integrate a mod in the game that is based on the major indigenous groups that inhabited the Philippine islands before the Spanish Conquest of the archipelago. A secondary objective would be, to raise the global awareness and interest in the Pre-colonial history of our country, just like with the indigenous tribes of the Americas before the conquest and colonization of the Europeans. I will be working on the contents this summer and in the months to come.

I need to have at least 50 respondents of different any nationality and ethnicity (other than Filipino) which will play the mod and provide some response through the use of online surveys. Posting this here will hopefully provide me with the respondents that I need. Though, I still worry if I will be able to get at least 50 respondents before I present my thesis.

I will be posting here to give some updates on the development of my paper.

I will be greatly thankful to those will take time to participate. Please do submit a reply here if you are willing to undertake in my thesis.

Edited by wackyserious
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, wackyserious said:

I need to have at least 50 respondents of different nationality and ethnicity which will play the mod and provide some response through the use of online surveys.

Sounds like an ambitious goal (I wonder how your schoolmates with similar projects achieve it).

I don't mind to try the mod and fill the survey (nationality/ethnicity: Russian).

• 10 months later...

A very bad news which I forgot to share to everyone here, my research was diverted from video game content development to the analysis and documentation of local contemporary art trends among the visual artists in our province a few months ago. This does not mean that this project will not push forward some time in the future. Maybe I will just merge my assets with @Vasikle's Oniversalis: Age of Exploration project. I had to follow the guidelines given to us by our instructors to comply with our academic requirements and had to stop development, a little saddening but it was a must for me to comply.

Right now I am documenting the local coffee painting festival in the highland areas of our small province. :)

Edited by wackyserious
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, wackyserious said:

A very bad news which I forgot to share to everyone here, my research was diverted from video game content development to the analysis and documentation of local contemporary art trends among the visual artists in our province a few months ago.

Well, the new project may be more suitable / convenient for your thesis and you can return to the mod any time later not being restricted by the academic work constraints. So this may turn out to be better for the thesis and not so bad for the mod after all :)

7 hours ago, wackyserious said:

Maybe I will just merge my assets with @Vasikle's Oniversalis: Age of Exploration project.

If you already have some material (art or design/research docs) I would recommend dumping them into a github repo, so they will be already available for other people and won't be lost if you will return to the mod after a significant amount of time. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/19/2017 at 12:30 PM, wackyserious said:

I'm in the process of constructing an academic text (thesis) for school and I was thinking of utilizing 0ad/Pyrogenesis to help me with my paper.

I'm planning on generating a mod which will help preserve our local history and culture and it will be used in an experiment to see if using video games to demonstrate Historical events help in boosting the academic performance of 3rd Millennium learners.

Is it legal to use the game in my academic paper? What are the things that I should take into consideration if I will use the game in my Thesis? Thanks!

No, only if you pay me $$$

• Haha 1