===[COMMITTED]=== Carthaginian gate problem

Tomcelmare

• 3 weeks later...

Ok...Now, it's not that I want to sound bossy, I have neither the skills, nor the legitimacy, not even the time to be, and it's obviously not the kind of attitude that can help...

BUT shouldn't the dev team prioritize fixing problems like that, and making new cavalry models (dunno if the same people who are making buildings are working on it), like the great new infantry ones, instead of _for exemple_starting a kushite civilization (as exciting as it may be)?

Not to mention that there are already several mods in progress (I didn't see any significant progress in Aristeia for a long time...) and a mysterious meso civ that has not appeared yet despite the preview pics... Hope I don't sound too harsh, because I really like what you're doing with this game, but I'm just worried that you'd disperse too much of your resources, talent and energy into new projects  when there is still a lot to do with existing ones, and you don't have a lot of people to work on it...I actually don't think that Kushites are a bad idea, but, as far as I'm concerned, it should not be a prioriy right now...For exemple, there are still no specific wonders for Gauls, Spartans, and Macedonians, ships animations could be improved, little carthaginian walls have not been implemented, etc. I would also like to see byzantines, khmers and my proposal for Anuradhapura Kingdom being implemented too, but honestly I understand that it should not be a priority right now either. Focusing on the main game is better, I think.

I really like the addition of the champion infantry for Ptolemies though! Obviously, it's a hobby for you guys, so you'll do what you feel you want to do, but I just felt I wanted to give my opinion on this! Whatever you do, keep the good work!

• Like 3

Kushites are mod so don't count as part of develpenmt .

is volunteer so you can talk about disperse energy. They ( the volunteers) decided what are comfortable for they. Probably this would be fixed at end of this alpha, may be not, we have many time with no animation in some gates.

Edited by Lion.Kanzen

I'm sorry, this is not very clear to me (google translate?) but I understood that Lordgood at least was involved in the kushite project and meso project, and other mods...while being part of the main team...Well, as you said, you guys will do what you want to do :) I'm just a player, and lately I don't have much opportunities to help, other than by play testing and reporting problems when I notice them. Regards.

• Like 1

That Lordgood decision to help these mods. That's is why my opinion is not project related to core team.

as moder I'm. Many times we create the mods to sharp our skills or put then in practice. Even try things aren't related with my skills, like creating 3D (some buildings in Aristeia)

You can open a ticket.

I don't have much opportunities to help, other than by play testing and reporting problems when I notice them. Regards.

Open tickets, not resolve the problems itself but is a way, only try to no duplicate or create tickets to a personal convenience.

Be a patient, is a tip to learn in project like this.

I'd say there are two things to consider here:

First: as Lion says people are more likely to do what they enjoy doing, and while it's not always as effective short-term it can bring benefits long-term as we can't pay people so there needs to be some other motivation.

Second: Not everyone has the skills to do everything, so sometimes there might not be official tasks which fit someone's expertise, but a mod/own idea might provide something one can do.

In this specific case I think it's far more likely that Johnathan and Enrique just forgot about it though :)

• Like 2

While @feneur is right on his first point, I agree with @Tomcelmare to some extent since being a team member conveys certain level of responsability towards the core game. This is also very true for programmers where tasks may (or may not) be as fun as creating art, but they perform them nontheless. I like myself to work on "fun stuff" between "core" tasks too (l did some stuff for other mods) but I also try to keep an eye on art tickets and do some cleanup sessions from time to time.

As for this case, I thought @LordGood was going to take care of it since he replied in the topic and seemed like he already knew of the problem.

• Like 6

I suppose I should address the first point. As far as responsibility goes, if I had let this slip into an alpha I'd understand the blowback. I appreciate the concern, and sometimes ringing the bell on the issue a few times keeps it from slipping from my lousy memory, but really my only 'responsibility' is commit integrity at the time of release.

I don't mean to sound short, but coming home from pressure-washing sewer manholes all day (absolutely as messy as it sounds) to this kind of rubbed me the wrong way, which is why I'm only replying to it now. Gate's fixed, Nobody's come up with an adaptable Spartan, Macedonian, or Gaulish wonder (actually Stan might have a lovely oppidium(?) in the Gaulish suggestion thread) and I am honing my modeling and texture making skills on mods. Wonderful way to learn about new civilizations too.

I'm also nearly exclusively an architecture guy. I can animate, but generally takes a few tries, and results in the kinds problem that started this thread when it doesn't.

• Like 1

I'd like to add up on Lordgood's post. If it were not for mods and the amazing bunch here I would have left long time ago. What kept me is the ability to hone my skills on mods never would I have ever had the ability to make a whole civilisation were it not for that. 

So now If I want to make a wonder I can. Probably wouldn't be the best experience but that's something I learnt to do by doing mods lots of them.

Aristeia is a special mod it could be like 5 main games in once looking at how much civs there are. Zophim has been doing an incredible job on it's research. 

But sadly lifes often takes it rights back. Can't spend a whole holiday month to make a civil properly. ^^

Thank you very much for the gate fixing, Lordgood! You're the greatest pony I know! :) Now it works perfectly, and this is something you won't have to worry about anymore before the next alpha release.

A little reaction to the previous comments: I think I misunderstood the way 0ad team is working. Now I understand that mods are not only a way to have fun, but also a necessary step for artists and programmers to keep an interest into a long-lived project which still needs many improvements, and sharpen or develop their skills on a specific field. 

In all honesty, I can't complain about mods, because I enjoy them as much as the main game. My point was, from a player perspective, to remind you respectfully that this is originally a game about ancient history with mediterranean civilizations at its core, and the player community will be attracted by that before anything else. For example, I was surprised when I discussed with some players that they knew nothing about great mods such as Rise of the East or Delenda Est, and even never played with mauryans or ptolemies because they didn't know what kind of civ they were! They came for Spartans and Romans mostly. Actually, the game rich historical background is almost too good and too detailed for most players (not my opinion at all, but that's a fact). A pity that they don't realize the implication and commitment of your team to make an historically accurate game, with a distinctive educational touch that so many games lack. I try my best to communicate about your work and the changes you're bringing progressively.  I think that moddb is a good showcase for you guys, but not enough to appeal to, for exemple, young french players, who for a large part of them, still haven't heard of this game, not to mention the mods. I see you went in Toulouse to give this game a little more exposure, and that was a great initiative! So, maybe more players will be attracted now...

Finally, I seize this moment to congratulate you (Lorgood, Stan?) for your great work on the Terra Magna mod, attached to Rise of the East. The zapotec civ is really nice and brings some novelty to the game. I have tested it quickly yesterday, and I have some suggestions for the mod, but I'll open another topic. I didn't see an announcement about it, maybe because it's not ready for the alpha version, but it's really promising!

Regards.

• Like 1

Perhaps we ought to be a bit more transparent in mod development, I tend to get in the habit of making everything all at once, lol

I know a lot of Terra Magna discussion is being held in PMs atm since we haven't set up a forum organization yet, though that might just be as simple as renaming the Rise of the East forum and working there more in the public eye

• Like 2

23 hours ago, LordGood said:

[...]

I know a lot of Terra Magna discussion is being held in PMs atm since we haven't set up a forum organization yet, though that might just be as simple as renaming the Rise of the East forum and working there more in the public eye

I don't wanna push myself into public with my crappy soundtrack drafts :D