===[TASK]===[SOUND]=== Contributing with sound design assets

tmm88

hey, @av93, thanks for the feedback. may you give point me out to specific suggestions, of how could my contributions better fit the standards of 0 A.D., talking about specific parameters like melodic lines conducting, harmonic conducting, rhythm, orchestration, counterpoint, form, and all these kinds of things? you may have your reasons to make your statement, but that's far more effective if you are able to specify exactly what is missing or wrong about my music, in order not to fit 0 A.D. that way, so that I may have a standing base in which I may eventually workout to eventually fulfill the demanded expectations of the community. looking forward. kind regards.

@tmm88 thanks for your many tracks! I think you definitely have the potential to contribute great music to 0 A.D., I still agree with @av93. Additionally, I think in many of your tracks (at least the earlier ones, I couldn't listen to all) there is no clear climax. There not necessarily needs to be one, but personally I like it when you feel tension which suddenly breaks at a certain point. However, regarding music I'm only an average person. It would be great to get some expert advice from @OmriLahav, but AFAIK he has been busy recently.

Edit: here is an example; tension builds up from 2:25 and is released at 3:03 (climax), another climax e.g. at 4:35

Edit 2: as you can see, I love epic music :rolleyes:

Edited by Palaxin

Well, although I'm a proud musician autodidact, I have very little knowledge about music theory. But you don't have to go so far away: the main problem that I see (hear) is that the actual soundtrack use live recorded instruments. Your music is good, but for me the contrast it's so different with the actual style.

The barrier of entry it's very high (usually people doesn't have the chance to record with a lot of instruments). But as others say, wait for Omhri feedback.

Edited by av93

in relation to recording instruments, it's a matter of running them throughout a sample library, just like someone else already did. @niektb if you can share some of your sample libraries that could perhaps speed up the process. and then I need to come up with better orchestrations, because this thing of tensions build up is all about orchestration (at least in this kind of music). from the moment that you have your 8, 16 or 32 bars of thematic material, it's just about making things work out in terms of: ok this instrument enters at bar 0, this and that one at bar 16, and bar 28 we have break, and we come up in bar 33 with this, this this and that instrument, and so on so forth up to the end of the music. but usually my starting point for a piece is material. in case of tonal music more like harmonies, and that in that kind of stuff, in terms of atonal music, it's all about rhythm and gesture essentially, in terms of electronic music it's all about sound design, and tone. and so on so forth. that is the reason why most of my music is actually pretty static and doesn't often develop in terms of form and so on so forth. but I think it's a matter of time to figure out these things. they come naturally you don't force them. and for instance in specific genres of music, I pretty much came around with pretty decent solutions

Edited by tmm88

you sort of get an idea. these are really high quality samples, they turn out to work out pretty fine, they have already pre-builtin music phrases and gestures, harmonized for different root keys and pitch classes so the only thing I actually have to do is to sort of map them to simple harmonic progressions, and record the phrases I wish to get into the music. a really cool example can be found here in the following demo (a friend of mine has some of the sample libraries, and he will allow me to copy some of those by the end of the week, or put them in an ftp server)

these guys asked me for like a couple of audio assets about a year ago, because I had applied for their company. I didn't know who they were. but yeah. I didn't even remember of sending them the assets. but it looks like my game is on the credits of the game