Help on silly issue

DivineDamon

Hey there, the problem is basically this: I made an ocean in my map by lowering terrain and raising the water level...now, however, when I move my camera over the ocean while playing... it plummets into the deep. I can't see my boats anymore because my camera focuses on the ocean floor, how do I fix this?

Regards

7 minutes ago, DivineDamon said:

Hey there, the problem is basically this: I made an ocean in my map by lowering terrain and raising the water level...now, however, when I move my camera over the ocean while playing... it plummets into the deep. I can't see my boats anymore because my camera focuses on the ocean floor, how do I fix this?

Regards

This has been problem for long time. Let me see if there are TrAC ticket.

4 minutes ago, DivineDamon said:

trAC ticket, what are those? I'm sorry, I'm a noob

Sorry, Trac is the way problems are reported and worked in by team mates and open source contributors. trac.wildfiregames.com 

Here are list of active Trac tickets: http://trac.wildfiregames.com/report/1

EDIT: Here is relevant ticket: http://trac.wildfiregames.com/ticket/3892. IMHO this is a very important ticket.

#3892 new defect

Camera height should be relative to water level

Reported by: sanderd17 Owned by:  
Priority: Should Have Milestone: Backlog
Component: Core engine Keywords:  
Cc:      

Description 

Currenty, the camera height is only relative to the ground level. So on maps with deep water, it's possible the camera gets submerged suddenly when zoomed in.

And example can be seen on the Golden Island map.

In a less extreme case, the camera can still come very close to the water level, and it's possible to get the camera into some ship.

The camera height should be calculated as being relative to the maximum of the ground and water level

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, DivineDamon said:

Oh okay, thank you! But I'm not really sure what I should do with it? Can this fix be implemented in my map?
(Sorry for being stupid, haha)

No, a programmer needs to fix it in the game engine so that it work for all map. We will have to wait -- problem happen on my map too. :) Hopefully a programmer will see this and decide it is interesting or fun to work on it. lol

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone

Best solution for you right now is to go to Atlas map editor, lower the water level so you can see the ocean floor, then raise the ocean floor so that it is not so deep. Then raise the water back where you want it to be. The camera still tracks to the ocean floor, but if it is not too deep the camera will not submerge.

Just now, DivineDamon said:

Yeah, I suppose that's true. It's on a giant map with like 70% water though, I made the Mediterranean(lotta work, ugh : /)

Well, thanks for your time friend ^^

no problem. Maybe find a suitable height and then use the flatten tool to make the whole floor that height. Experiment. Atlas is not a bad editor. It has a lot of potential and is easy to use at an alpha stage.