Balance / Mercenaries.

Vercingetorix_

Hello.

Lately one  idea came to my mind about mercenaries. Its well known that they are expensive : cost iron, and cost more resourses in the total amount than its analogue(citizen) . That must be fixed and i got an idea how: let mercenaries gain 2x more exp per hit / kill. Thus, they can be promoted faster than normally wich makes them more usefull.

• Like 4

Also some prices are inadequate :

1)Balearic slinger costs : 25 food, 20 wood, 50 stone, 25 iron. 2)Normal slinger costs : 50 food, 20 wood, 30 stone.

1) 120 resourses(25 iron included) 2) 100 resourses( 0 iron included)

Fatherbushido said that the concept of mercenaries is food price converted into iron. OK, but following this logic, balearic slinger should cost 25 food, 20 wood, 30 stone(NOT 50), 25 iron. 

Also there are some other units with inadequate prices :sword mercenaries( Carthage/ Ptole)

• Like 1

Mercenaries were experienced warriors hired in times of war, not intended be hired gathering resources, so they could start from rank 2 (or maybe at rank 3 with an extra malus on gathering resources and more training time) and inspire nearby units to get +15% experience in battle. They could be trained starting from phase 2, as most civs, avoiding confusion granting a melee and ranged defence in phase 1 without relying on a rare resource.

Edited by Grugnas

My idea for mercenaries:

- They represent weak spots roles of the civ that are covered by money. 2 cost, one of them high on metal
- Can't work, but they can't still promote to elite level.
- Limited use (20?) with, depending of the civ, tech that increases the limit.
- Carthago could have special merc system (I like the D.E one)
- Gauls could have hunters (archer mercenaries). Vercingetorix summoned all the hunters armed with bows he could to defend Alesia, IRC
- I agree on the Iberian mercs being Elite. Most mercs could be either on Veteran or Elite status depending on the historical fame.