Romans military image references

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Spoiler

As there is a guy accusing me of searching everything from Google, when I actually take classes in research methodology, I leave here some images taken. Only some of you who know me will know, my way of joking sometimes.

TyF7D7Br.jpg

Las saqué de Bing por si sabes que te estoy baiteando. Pero tú sabrás.

Image2.jpg

Image7.jpg

Image8.jpg

Edited by Lion.Kanzen

• 5 weeks later...

the most ugly one.

aum001-gallic-helmet.jpg

Autun_helmet_zps7b53c907.jpg

Gallo-Roman Era
Hammered bronze, formerly gilt
H 37 cm x W 30 cm
Autun, Musée Rolin ( B. 3078)

This ceremonial helmet has beautiful chase work in the form of a face on the top of the headgear. Two long leaves (laurel?) act as cheek protectors. Ceremonial helmet or set from a monumental statue of a warrior along the lines of classical Greece?

Resultado de imagen para autun helmet

Edited by Lion.Kanzen
  • Haha 1

About artistic representation of Attic helmet vs Archeological.

About Imperial helmets.

https://ihism.uph.edu.pl/images/PDFs/historia_i_swiat_4/end_Negin.pdf

Spoiler

The word “fronton” is primarily an architectural term referring to the completion of a facade of a building, a portico, or a colonnade (usually triangular, sometimes semicircular), restricted to the two roof slopes on the sides and to a cornice at the bottom. This French term comes from the Latin words ‘frons, frontis’, meaning ‘forehead’. As is well known, narrow sides of ancient temples (the front and the rear) always ended at the top with a low fronton of triangular field or tympanum that were adorned with sculpted friezes and figures. The triangular shape of a browband plate of Roman helmets (especially in the 1st century AD) resembles an architectural fronton. What is more, as in the case of temple frontons the vertical browbands of helmets from the period are also sometimes embellished with intricate decorations. This part of the helmet is referred to as ‘Stirnband’ or ‘Stirndiadem’ 2 in the German literature while in English studies uses the term ‘brow-plate’ or ‘forehead-plate’. 3

On the heads of Roman soldiers, and in particular as part of the Praetorian equipment, for a long time Hollywood actors have worn the so-called "Attic" helmets ofvarious modifications. Costume design in these films have been based mainly on theaccurate reproduction of the Roman reliefs. However, there are absolutely no similar specimens known to archaeology. Consequently a question arises as to what kind of helmets were depicted on these reliefs,and if these illustrations accurately copied the then existing helmets or were merelya reflection of Hellenistic artistic traditions? Both iconographic sources and preserved show that helmets from Hellenistic period had frontal parts decorated as a fronton ending with volutes at the temples. 4 They constituted variation of the Attic helmet, quite popular in Greek art. 5 This type of helmet is characterized by a hemispherical bowl reinforced in the frontal arc of the forehead, and, inmost cases, also by a vertically curved neck-guard. Sometimes this type of helmet was alsoprovided with cheek-pieces and ridge-plumes of different shapes. Since the end ofV th century BC volutes above the ears were added to the frontal arc.However, there is a gap of about three centuries between the "pseudo-Attic"Hellenistic helmet and the Roman model. For this period of time, there is no archaeological evidence of such helmets being widespread in the Roman army. As for the iconographic sources, there are only few of them from the late Republican period and they show mainly Greek heroes.

image.thumb.png.0c86d6fe81b6689483bb60f5b3cdc21f.png

Reliefs of the frieze of the Basilica Aemilia in Rome 6 illustrating stories about theorigins of Rome, which presumably date from the I st century BC, show soldiers wearingmuscle cuirasses and Attic helmets very similar to the version of Melos (by typology ofG. Waurick). 7 The style of these images demonstrates that the authors of these compositionswere influenced by so called “Neo -Attic style ”,  the impact of the old Greek samples ofworks of art is, of course, reflected in the artistic features of the monument.Many iconographic sources depicting helmets have survived from the ‘I mperialperiod ’ (fig. 1). The most important and informative ones include: triumphal arch inOrange, 8 Trajan's Column, 9 the Column of Marcus Aurelius, 10 friezes from Arch of Trajan 11 and from Adamklissi Tropaeum Traiani 12 as well as the tombstones of various cavalrymen.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...