Carthaginian palace

I love those designs. Why can't we have as much different buildings a civilization did produced at the same time in the game? and not hiding them in phases.

I mean that different buildings should be enabled in different phases and be builded near existing ones as the civilization advances through centuries as we can see in our actual civ. we still have castles, palaces and other buildings from past centuries. That enriches a civ. and visually makes the game much better in eyecandy terms.

To hide a building with an upgrade of itself makes the game more static and les dinamic as you feel as your civ. advances through the centuries that you still have the same buildings but just upgrades. 1 temple, 1 town center, 1 barrack, etc... or copies of them all along the map. It's like copiying yourself as time advances and your civilization grows. It's a bit strange, less realistic and visually boring.

I think, it's just an oppinion

• Like 2

@Juli51

Nah. That concept would ruin game balance. And there was a decision not to visually change a structure in-game unless you're upgrading it (Sentry Tower -> Defense Tower).

But, who knows. Given enough time and effort, maybe your suggestion might become a reality... except when giving players the ability to build Fortresses on Phase 1.

@Juli51 What's interesting about the upgrade system now is that it is a per-entity upgrade with the sentry towers and defense towers. Defense towers can be made of sentry towers but yes, they do exist side by side. That's the kind of upgrading I was thinking of for the Carthaginian apartments too. I wouldn't think the palace would be suitable for a Civic Center IMO though.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, LordGood said:

@Juli51 What's interesting about the upgrade system now is that it is a per-entity upgrade with the sentry towers and defense towers. Defense towers can be made of sentry towers but yes, they do exist side by side. That's the kind of upgrading I was thinking of for the Carthaginian apartments too. I wouldn't think the palace would be suitable for a Civic Center IMO though.

well, carthage did not have a king, so why a "palace"? why not call it the council chamber or something. Carthage had an oligarchy system, kind of like Rome's republic.

4 hours ago, LordGood said:

Yes, that's what I meant. Existing buildings an their upgrades coexisting and available at the same time.

7 hours ago, Juli51 said:

I love those designs. Why can't we have as much different buildings a civilization did produced at the same time in the game? and not hiding them in phases.

I mean that different buildings should be enabled in different phases and be builded near existing ones as the civilization advances through centuries as we can see in our actual civ. we still have castles, palaces and other buildings from past centuries. That enriches a civ. and visually makes the game much better in eyecandy terms.

To hide a building with an upgrade of itself makes the game more static and les dinamic as you feel as your civ. advances through the centuries that you still have the same buildings but just upgrades. 1 temple, 1 town center, 1 barrack, etc... or copies of them all along the map. It's like copiying yourself as time advances and your civilization grows. It's a bit strange, less realistic and visually boring.

I think, it's just an oppinion

Totally agree. Perhaps because I really like city building. Nevertheless it's a pity many great models aren't used currently...

• Like 2

This game like AOE is based on civilizations competing for resources in a limited play area. Civilization comes from latin Civitas, which translates into "City" in english, "ciudad"" in spanish, cité" in french, "città" in italian. "cidade" in portugues, etc..  and means group o people who have suceded to settle in cities (bigger or smaller)  instead of wandering around to find food and water, and from that perspective city building plays a essential role as all is about it.

From my point of view, the focus of the game is on the cities. A bunch of cities with it's own culture is a civilization. The city provides protection, food, knowledge, etc..

That's why you protect your city and need walls and large armies. If your cities fall your civ. may perish.

Therefore, to build your city larger, nicer and with lot's of different buildings gives and Idea of the rise of your civ. Most old civ. tied to their capital city, (Rome, Athens,Carthage, etc...

City building is a 

Edited by Juli51
  • Like 2

Perhaps, There could be only a civ center, buildings around it can be upgraded in each phase. If you want to have more territory you should build a "sub-civ center", but those building inside the territory of the "sub civ center" wont get the upgraded in buildings, those will be like settlements or little towns.

Edited by Skhorn

Maybe, I can't say exactly how, but those small towns could delimite a bigger area around the town center may called province and you could fund more nearby provinces for your empire establishing town centers, or fund distant colonies where to gather resources.

By the way, ¿is it possible to have bigger maps than Giant size?

Edited by Juli51

1 hour ago, Juli51 said:

Maybe, I can't say exactly how, but those small towns could delimite a bigger area around the town center may called province and you could fund more nearby provinces for your empire establishing town centers, or fund distant colonies where to gather resources.

By the way, ¿is it possible to have bigger maps than Giant size?

I think the answer is yes. We talk some time ago to have gigantic maps than other RTS of this kind.