===[TASK]=== Seleucid units textures

Enrique

2 minutes ago, stanislas69 said:

Graphics patch.

I imagine it's something like what the mods for Rome:Total War 1 did for that engine. Added a texture or material that could give a pseudo reflection to whatever surface you wished to apply it to. In our case, metallic surfaces. Maybe what @wraitii tried to do for undying's sci-fi IP way back when.

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone
  • Like 1

1.) Only the armpit level skirt is done (I can reuse current game bronze cuirass textures and see what I can come up with)

2.) The lower limb area is covered in the reference, so I just assumed that it was scale (Similar to what the Iranian tribes like the Scythians used)

5a5952c3d57e9_011318-SeleucidCavalry.thumb.jpg.7477d5394c6097277ef215f7beff3623.jpg

3.) Part of the cuirass rework (WIP)

4.) Not sure where to put player color here, on the ceremonial knot/tie on his waist? and leave the player color cape do the job?

Horse headdress also looks nice

QjaOG6R.jpg&key=7520c239a87fd482e92ad7b5

• Like 2

I love you, the mask can be improving?

----by the way The team did good job with horses and cavalry, not only animation-----

Just now, stanislas69 said:

@wackyserious I'm not a fan of the scales, maybe you could inspire yourself from the ones I did on the previous pages :)

You could use this tutorial as well

scale.jpg

But the plates are good to this one.

Edited by Lion.Kanzen

Just now, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

While the guys on the right look accurate enough, the ones on the left look like they have some serious Parthian influence. I don't think that's what the Battle of Raphia and Magnesia's Seleucid cataphracts looked like at all.

Yes all horse culture influence even far Asians like Xiognu or Sarmatae and Scythians (scamata armor) in left.

If this art is for the Cataphract, my opinion is if it could look a little more hellenistic, that would be great.  Plus, keep in mind that Lord Good's art of the Cataphract is the centerpiece of a loading screen.  So for the cataphracts to not actually look like that might be weird.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Phalanx said:

If this art is for the Cataphract, my opinion is if it could look a little more hellenistic, that would be great.  Plus, keep in mind that Lord Good's art of the Cataphract is the centerpiece of a loading screen.  So for the cataphracts to not actually look like that might be weird.

That's my point

• 2 weeks later...

@Alexandermb, with a day's delay :/ 

Here's the new Seleucid horse-crown texture I made:

5a6b37ab090b2_Seleucidhorsecrownfinal2.thumb.png.b31c3f23a4dce6f5337a0d54eb146672.png

I imagine it something like this:

5a6b3a202d8e4_Seleucidhorsecrownfinalpanes.thumb.jpg.dfee1710be75a6c22b8138877260e6db.jpg

So the lower part of the mesh of the shaffron will bend slightly inwards, while the top part of the shaffron bends inward to almost form a semicircle. Then you fit the feather crown on top of that semicircular part, at an angle of about 45° (ore more). When the horse is in rest, the crown should almost stand upright at a 90° angle The whole piece should fit snuggly on top of the horse's head, just in front of the ears, with minimal clipping :) 

76427bfcb6dc44d2bdf6e566718ae081--history-channel-romani.jpg.4944912cc1eeeb5f98d39a467e51b4d4.jpg

025fc47dedfa4df00c07637af69d8542.thumb.jpg.a84f62b9d40a9188b6374d25dc676565.jpg 

Spoiler

Maybe these are useful for other units? I don't know...

5a6b3e03263d9_Bronzeshaffron0adtexture.png.41fbad6942abdb26fa5d965efecd028f.png

5a6b3e068e110_Ironsteelshaffron0adtexture.png.3ff8c014b61d13560d44686750284228.png

Used images in the public domain: 

shaffron 
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Shaffron_(Horse's_Head_Defense)_with_arms_of_the_Freyberg_family_MET_DP108811.jpg

fan 
http://www.mfa.org/collections/object/download/109623

Edited by Sundiata
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

@Alexandermb I just went to grab a bite to eat and came back to this... Nice!

My suggestion is, when viewing from the front, to let the sides of the crown be straight instead of curvy (My own fault for making the texture like that), and bring the whole crown down a bit:

5a6b649333a0a_seleucidhorsecrownadjustment.jpg.24fc6b78e0e232c2f99262a906d22589.jpg

Other than that, no suggestions. It looks... Fabulous! Thank you! The old horse-crowns were really bugging me...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alexandermb said:

image.png.38af75df55a9eefc83df25e97231e4cc.png

That's soooo pretty.... All Seleucid fans salute you! Really, thank you!

@LordGood & @stanislas69, could you review this and commit it for the Seleucid Cataphract? Then you can delete the old horse-crest and we'll never (ever) need to mention that thing again...

Edited by Sundiata

15 minutes ago, Sundiata said:

That's soooo pretty.... All Seleucid fans salute you! Really, thank you!

@LordGood & @stanislas69, could you review this and commit it for the Seleucid Cataphract? Then you can delete the old horse-crest and we'll never (ever) need to mention that thing again...

Can you remind me what it looks like ?

Quick review above.