Mercenary: What does that mean?

Phalanx

I meant in terms of faction units.  For example, over half of the Ptolemaic roster is designated as mercenary, but what does that mean?  If nothing, it should mean something to balance the extra cost.  Perhaps they are created already halfway to level two, or they have an xp bonus.

• 4 months later...

Alpha 21 has both Citizen-Soldier Mercs and Champion Mercs. I didn't even know that it was planned as a in-between type of unit.

If that were the case, then the Logical Progression of Units might work: Village Phase Citizen Soldiers, Town Phase Mercs, and City Phase Champs. If you plan to add a Nation Phase or something like in DE, I believe that's the best phase to put in the Heroes.

And, yeah. Gameplay-wise I thought that Mercs are just units that replace their Food Cost with Metal.

Just now, sphyrth said:

Alpha 21 has both Citizen-Soldier Mercs and Champion Mercs. I didn't even know that it was planned as a in-between type of unit.

I wasn't here when the initial discussions were held, so I don't know if it was an actual plan. It was more a way to explain how I understood the differences in the initial plan :)

What are mercenary?

In any strategy game mercenary units are special units accessible from a special restricted building (capturable from map or build limit). The units are special in that, they are either stronger than normal units OR have very low train time OR dont cost any pop. But in each case they are more expensive.

In current game Mercenary could either be made to be trainable only from special capturable mercenary training camps with added bonus of much faster train time. Or just make them to be training as lvl2 directly. And additionaly all lvl2 troops build capacity can be removed. So while they can gather at a very slow rate, they wont build.

On 3/18/2017 at 6:11 AM, sphyrth said:

If you plan to add a Nation Phase or something like in DE, I believe that's the best phase to put in the Heroes.

Heroes could work better if allowed with reduced stats from phase 1.

• 2 years later...

What could be implemented for the mercenary system would be that the ressources gathered with the looting system (when your units kills opponents units of building) would not be occuring if it's done by mercenaries units.

What do you think about it ?

2 hours ago, MERTZEN said:

What could be implemented for the mercenary system would be that the ressources gathered with the looting system (when your units kills opponents units of building) would not be occuring if it's done by mercenaries units.

What do you think about it ?

Delenda Est (mod) have a early very good one.

Loot system is implement.

Edited by Lion.Kanzen

Perhaps instead of/ in addition to the current system, you can recruit troops from an enemy building that gets captured. So for example, if you capture Persian barracks, you can recruit their javelineer, archer, and Shieldbearer. These would probably be 'auxiliaries' instead of mercenaries, though.

• Like 1