Guides for Strategies

SGK7019

Hello everyone,

First of all, I am very new to the game, let alone the forums. So, if this topic has been discussed before, I apologise for making another one in advance. Thank you for understanding.

I think that the community lacks Strategy Guides for the newer players, I have looked for some time in the past but found nothing. This leads to my request for anyone that has the time and will to make one for the new players, including me, in order for them to learn the basics of the game. Moreover, 0 A.D. is my first RTS game, so a lot of "basic" instructions would be necessary for myself, but others (probably) as well.

Thank you very much for reading, and much more for possibly leaving a reply.

The trouble with coming up with specific strategies is that the game is still changing, so it might only be relevant for one Alpha and then things change for the next one and maybe the guide isn't updated. There has been some attempts in the past: 

I haven't checked if they are still relevant in their entirety as there's quite a lot to read, but if nothing else there should be some good tips. Apart from that a really good way is to join a game with other players, but as an observer, that way you can see how other players play and learn from them. There are also a lot of Youtube videos of other people playing you could learn from. The best way is of course to play the game a lot, but I'm sure you know that already =)

Thank you for the quick reply, much appreciated.

Yes, I agree. With the game moving from stage to stage, being changed a lot in the process, it's hard to make something that will be valid to read in the upcoming Alpha stages. However, I was moslty referring to the beginning of each game, for example primary buildings (which ones to build first, most important), which kind of unit goes where, (e.g. Women should go to food, I believe there's a bonus for food gathering for men), primary units to train (as mentioned with the buildings, most important) and so on. These things do not change too much, from what I've noticed in the past two Alpha stages. I guess that could be a good start?

This guy's tutorial series helped me learn the basics by rote.

After that, causative's "Road to Expert" seems to have the best outline. It helped me accelerate from Easy to Hardest Petra (on some maps at least). But I mostly like it by the fact that it teaches "Any-faction Phase I" first before addressing the "Faction-specific" things.