XP question

Phalanx

In that case, could pikes be given a little boost?  In battles, other units level up in two to three times less it takes pikes to level, due to the slow speed of their attacks.  I've encountered a problem a lot, where the spears I'm fighting are leveling up, but my pikes are not.

Lolz. But in this case A=C.    :P

I'm just going based off of experience (ba dum tiss) I watch enemy troops level up during a fight, but my pikes will not.  Even when it is a duel, just spears vs pikes, the spears lvl up faster due to more damage at a faster rate.

This is a prime example.  These pikes and thureos spears were grouped, fought the same fights, and I even had to replace about two thirds of the spears throughout the match, while I replaced no pikes.  After plowing through two medium Petra opponents, this is what they looked like.  There are a large number of level 3 and level 2 thureos spears, while not a single pike has leveled up to even level two.  They fought exactly the same enemies at the same time.

screenshot0003.png

Perhaps there should be some experience given for taking damage? 

I imagine a commander ordering his troops to stand in archer fire to 'harden them up'. He'd be a bit of a loony but it'd probably teach the troops real quick where they should be holding their shields 

of course with tank units like pikes, it's their most useful trait. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, fatherbushido said:

It s the sample effect. For pikemen it s more homogeneous. Look at big armies and big battles.

So the xp may be more spread across the pikes...  I didn't look for that, you're probably right

1 hour ago, LordGood said:

I imagine a commander ordering his troops to stand in archer fire to 'harden them up'. He'd be a bit of a loony but it'd probably teach the troops real quick where they should be holding their shields 

I do like that idea!  Because battle can become unbalanced rapidly, when one side with faster and more damage dealing attacks is against an enemy who just soaks damage.  Or possibly, experience is gathered by the amount of time in combat i.e. the time spent running the combat animation.  Therefore there is a guaranteed even distribution of xp amongst any unit type in combat, but not every unit gains xp, as not every unit can be on the front line.

Edited by Phalanx

• 1 month later...
On 31/10/2016 at 10:35 PM, LordGood said:

I was thinking this too.  I think gaining xp from a combination of damage dealt and received would work best.

I am assuming that units have a data flag to state when they are engaged in combat?  While in this combat state, we record the damage dealt and received by the unit.  The amount of experience gained is only calculated after the unit has left combat—at which point damage statistics are deleted.

The experience gained is calculated simply by multiplying the damage dealt by the damage received during combat.

Experience Gained = Damage Dealt × Damage Received

This relationship makes a soldier's attacks count for more when fighting a tougher opponent; or conversely, his injuries teach him more when he is fighting well.

Major battles become historic events.  Fighting in one large battle gains far more experience than several minor battles.  For example, let's say we have a soldier who fought in a major battle, he dealt and received 50 damage, so he gains 50² = 2500 XP (actual number of XP not important for this).  His next combat is a minor battle, where he deals and receives 10 damage, so for this battle he gains only 10² = 100 XP.  Therefore, he'd have to fight in 25 of these minor battles to gain the same amount of experience he received from his one major battle!  So, either way, you can look at your veterans and know they are truly battle-hardened.

Encouraging better battle strategy.  Players will start to think about battles more as separate events.  Players who are more strategic in the deployment of their troops will be rewarded: by engaging the enemy where they have an advantage or a route open to retreat, their troops stand a better chance of surviving the engagement and gaining XP.

Addendum.  It is almost absurd to me that I have this much to say about multiplying two numbers together!  That's why I like thinking about this stuff, though.  Simple changes in how these values relate to each other can have huge effects.

Edited by Libervurto