Adjust orientation of units

balduin

I would like to be able to adjust the orientation of units. For example, I let a bunch of archers march on a hill, but I can not tell them in which direction they should look.

In Praetorians, an older PC game, it was possible to keep the right mouse button pressed and draw a yellow arrow to the direction you wanted to let your troops look. 

In my archer example this would work like the following: I select my archers, then I would press the right button to let them walk to the hill. However, I keep the right mouse button pressed and draw an arrow in the direction my archer should look.

This would be really helpful for units which are in a formation. In Praetorians most units have been always in formation.

@wowgetoffyourcellphone If you have a group of 20 chariots and you want to make sure those are not in the range of an tower the best thing you can do is adjust the direction. Furthermore you can put units into formations, such as skirmisher. However, formations are nearly unplayable, because you can not decide their direction.

It is not necessary to have any in game bonus by adjusting the direction, it simply gives the human player more control. It is like the feature which allows you to assign groups of units to numbers from 0-9, you press the number and you get the group. This feature gives the human player more control.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I noticed the Athenian marine melee unit is always facing back when you put it to phalanx formation forward. I maybe wrong but will try it again later. Could it be that that small circle/arrow on their foot is conflicting it?!

Also why would it be disallowed to do certain formations if it's lacking in numbers. My understanding of formations is for tactical reason whether beauty but most especially giving units extra bonus in combat and if you just produce the minimum amount you will lose the bonus if one dies. 

Also would it be possible for at least two different types of units say for example a pike and a javeliner form a formation in such a manner that pike stays in front and the javrliner/archer/range foot unit stays behind when you combine both and face/march/attack/defend actions?