SO glad to find you guys

Hello,

My Name is Sheldon and I am super glad to be here.

First let me say you guys (and gals?) have done an AWESOME job on this game. I installed it on Ubuntu just to check it out and I can't tell you how impressed I am, even in alpha.

I don't know how many hours I spent playing AoE back in the late nineties and I have been Jonesing for something similar but totally unwilling to boot up windows just to play it (I know it runs in wine, but still).  This is totally awsome.

I do have one question - about the networking/multiplay - how do I change/specify the port number?

I'm a fan of ancient history so I would be interested in helping out with the effort to create campaigns. My coding skills are there, but I've spent my last decade or so as a system engineer and mysql dba so I'll need to brush up/practice.

Looking forward to it!

Sheldon

• Like 6

Hi Sheldon and welcome to the 0 A.D. forum :)

Thanks for letting us know you like the game so far.

Yes, there are some female team and community members but AFAIK not that many.

Joining a game via the lobby server should always work (with an internet connection that is ;)).

To host a game via the lobby server 0 A.D. Alpha 20 uses UDP port 20595.

Fully fledged routers should also support port mapping (but some so called routers nowadays have hard times correctly providing IPs to connected devices allready...).

I thought linux has it's own port mapping utility you and the people you want to play with could use but I can't find it.
EDIT: Fixed that double typo - though it's much less fun now x)

To get involved in the development of 0 A.D. I reccoment starting here:

https://play0ad.com/community/participate/

http://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki

Enjoy the game, your stay in the forum and trac (y)

• Like 2

Thanks so much guys!

" ....the people you want to pay with could use but I can't fund it. "

It's ok,  linux is free - no need to fund it!  ;)  LOL cool double typo (I assume?).

So I assume you mean that I would just forward/remap whatever port I want people to connect with to port 20595 on the server, right?

Really I don't need to change the port so much as know which port to open up in my firewall config. I usually look in games for the place where you set the port so I know which port to allow traffic into.  If it's listening on 20595 and that's all I need open for clients to connect, then I'm good. I'm only going to be running on my local network, but ubuntu and fedora have a pretty locked down local firewall. I'll give it a try and see.

Thanks, and keep u the good work! Hope my donation went through....

Best,

Sheldon

• Like 1

On 9/18/2016 at 0:39 PM, Biggvs_Richardvs said:

It's ok,  linux is free - no need to fund it!  ;)  LOL cool double typo (I assume?).

The second typo was very possibly caused by autocorrect as it often tries to guess the next word by context. :)

On 9/18/2016 at 0:39 PM, Biggvs_Richardvs said:

If it's listening on 20595 and that's all I need open for clients to connect, then I'm good.

I believe that is correct. UDP port 20595 should be all you have to allow.

Oop. Found a possible bug in multiplayer. Creating new thread to report it....

You can post reports in the bug reports forum or create an account on trac.

http://trac.wildfiregames.com/

https://wildfiregames.com/forum/index.php?/forum/378-bug-reports/

Edited by WhiteTreePaladin