Macedonian wonder

Tomcelmare

9 hours ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Ironically enough, the modeler for the Hanging Gardens was working on replacing it with the Gate of All Nations. lol @Enrique

It is not ironic. I just said it is a very good work and i appreciate it? Is that suppose to mean i think he is upset about it :)

7 hours ago, Loki1950 said:

Stonehenge was built by the Wessex peoples way before the Celts where in Britain

Enjoy the Choice :)

I googled two times yesterday night and now, yes i found an article about Wessex people building it. But i also said i think single civs are covering for more. It doesn't matter anyway. 

1 hour ago, Freagarach said:

But it seems we need special builders able to construct useless eyecandy structures

1 hour ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

So much buttons in the GUI.

It also came up in the mind, but there must be a room for few button. I thought about if multiple choosing is possible, but probably it is not :/ 

However, i got the point ;) Thanks for the answers. I guess the ideas is not welcomed at all. There is nothing much to say. 

Edited by sauerkrautpie
  • Like 1

@sauerkrautpie If this is any consolation, I'll make sure it's still placeable in Atlas as a capturable structure, because some maps may use it. It's also on some maps as an actor.  I guess the main issue with having too many structures is the amount of work for balancing it. Also due to the current way we render the GUI, any new icon has a performance cost multiplied by the number of units selected.

A feature to allow changing what could be built needs https://code.wildfiregames.com/D270

• Like 2

2 hours ago, sauerkrautpie said:

However, i got the point ;) Thanks for the answers. I guess the ideas is not welcomed at all. There is nothing much to say.

As pointed out before, that a buildable wonder is replaced with something more appropiate, doesn't mean the old actor is deleted. 0 A.D. contains a lot of unbuildable assets that are available for maps and mods. The newly created Mausoleum looks great and has been added to the public repository.

Stonehenge was built in the third millennium, the Celts arrived in the British Islands during the first millennium. The Uffington White Horse has been roughly dated, but whether it was Celtic or Pre-Celtic depends on whom you ask. Anyway, @Stan` has recently been working on new wonders for both the Britons (see this thread ) and Gauls (see this thread ), which do look promising.

The Hanging Gardens may not look bad, but it is historically problematic. Assuming it really did exist (which is doubtful), it would have been Neo-Babylonian, i.e. predating the Persian Empire. (We don't use the Great Pyramid of Cheops as the Ptolemaic Wonder either.)

12 hours ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Similar to why we want to take the Hanging Gardens from the Persians and give them something more Achaemenid (my vote here is for the Gate of All Nations)

As the new Persian wonder, I'd strongly recommend the Apadana of Darius in Persepolis, an enormous structure which formed the core of the palace terrace, was the location where the Persian king of kings obtained annual tribute from all satrapies, and looked very impressive on both the inside and the outside; by contrast, the Gate of All Nations was little more than a relatively small room with large doors on three sides; have a look at this map (A is #1, GoAN is #4).

@Stan`, shoudn't this thread be renamed to “=== Committed === Mausoleum at Halicarnassus”?

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/22/2020 at 5:51 PM, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

I'd vote for Palace at Pella. It's 100% Macedonian and not peripheral. Similar to why we want to take the Hanging Gardens from the Persians and give them something more Achaemenid (my vote here is for the Gate of All Nations)

I'd love for the core game to ship with a bunch of famous ancient buildings, even if they aren't factional wonders. Altar of Pergamon would be awesome to have. Could even eventually have a "Capture the Wonder" game mode that includes these extra wonders in the game.

For DE i think the planned Theban wonder is the Cadmeia.

What do you think of the sanctuary at Dodona as a future Epirote wonder ?

Map of the sanctuary as it developed until roman times:

800px-Plan_Dodona_sanctuary-en.svg.png

• 1: Acropole
  • 2: Theater
  • 3: Stadium
  • 4: Bouleuterion
  • 5: House of priests
  • 6 and 7: Prytaneum and extension
  • 8: Temple of Aphrodite
  • 9: Roman building
  • 10: Temple of Themis
  • 11: “Crowned House” (Ἱερά Οἰκία)
  • 12 and 13: New and old temple of Dione
  • 14 and 15: temple and altar of Heracles
  • 16: Christian basilica
  • 17: West wall
  • 18 and 19: New and old West gate

dodona-38.jpg

Bouleterion:

Dodona-Greece-April-2008-107.JPG

The Oracle:

33.jpg

tumblr_ps9z38JcyX1wc6hgco1_1280.jpg

oracle-of-zeus-reconstruction.jpg34.jpg

Edited by Ultimate Aurelian
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

No sé si puedo dar mi opinión o si no la toman con agrado. Doy mi punto de vista como jugador de tantos juegos RTS que he jugado con el tiempo. pero creo que no deberían eliminar edificios o cambiarlos por otros, incluso si no son cronológicamente exactos de quien los construyó, como jugador me gustan este tipo de cosas, por ejemplo, coh de relic, era un juego y ponía muchas unidades, y en coh2 elimino muchas unidades y eso me entristece cuando un juego se vuelve genial cuando hay más cosas.

El costo de esto ya es el programa debido a la inestabilidad, ya que leí un mensaje anterior de Stan y las prioridades,

@sauerkrautpie  Si esto es un consuelo, me aseguraré de que todavía se pueda colocar en Atlas como una estructura capturable, porque algunos mapas pueden usarlo. También está en algunos mapas como actor. Supongo que el problema principal con tener demasiadas estructuras es la cantidad de trabajo para equilibrarlo. Además, debido a la forma actual en que procesamos la GUI, cualquier ícono nuevo tiene un costo de rendimiento multiplicado por la cantidad de unidades seleccionadas.

Una característica para permitir cambiar lo que se podría construir necesita  https://code.wildfiregames.com/D270

la pregunta es si es muy difícil agregar otro botón para otra maravilla de la misma civilización o es imposible y crea inestabilidad en el programa y el juego.

Edited by marius4

4 hours ago, marius4 said:

No sé si puedo dar mi opinión o si no la toman con agrado. Doy mi punto de vista como jugador de tantos juegos RTS que he jugado con el tiempo. pero creo que no deberían eliminar edificios o cambiarlos por otros, incluso si no son cronológicamente exactos de quien los construyó, como jugador me gustan este tipo de cosas, por ejemplo, coh de relic, era un juego y ponía muchas unidades, y en coh2 elimino muchas unidades y eso me entristece cuando un juego se vuelve genial cuando hay más cosas.

El costo de esto ya es el programa debido a la inestabilidad, ya que leí un mensaje anterior de Stan y las prioridades,

@sauerkrautpie  Si esto es un consuelo, me aseguraré de que todavía se pueda colocar en Atlas como una estructura capturable, porque algunos mapas pueden usarlo. También está en algunos mapas como actor. Supongo que el problema principal con tener demasiadas estructuras es la cantidad de trabajo para equilibrarlo. Además, debido a la forma actual en que procesamos la GUI, cualquier ícono nuevo tiene un costo de rendimiento multiplicado por la cantidad de unidades seleccionadas.

Una característica para permitir cambiar lo que se podría construir necesita  https://code.wildfiregames.com/D270

No los eliminamos. Siguen en el atlas. Y en el repositorio.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

Looking good, @m7600! The surrounding plants are overkill though, are they part of the palace or your own artistic appeal?

Will this be the future pre-Hellenistic Macedonian wonder, or a palace special building like the Persians?

Also, I got an "Unrecognized phase (phase_city)" warning while reading the Mausoleum and Stonehedge information on Atlas. Is this normal? The rest of the wonders have no warning attached though.

Edited by Carltonus
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, m7600 said:

Quick update. It's still a work in progress. I don't have a lot free time lately, so the little that I have I've been spending it on the Macedonian Wonder.

Screenshot from 2021-03-06 18-19-53.png

Hey looking great so far! The plants look good. Don't listen to Carltonus. ;)

Wonders should be the most eyecandied objects in the game. I don't think this one is overkill. 

I would use a different statue on the side, instead of reusing the Roman ones. I think the game needs a lot more statuary in general. 

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

10 minutes ago, m7600 said:

Thank you @Carltonus and @wowgetoffyourcellphone for the suggestions and kind words!

And to @Lion.Kanzen's confused reaction to my first work in progress for the Macedonian Wonder... yeah I'm not even gonna delve too much into that. I guess some things never change.

It is normal, it seems a bit weird to me or a wonder with the texture so strange. Basically it is the same comment that they made to you before, what happens is that as someone else did it, it did not bother you.

I suppose a very good selection was made later. 

But in reality it contains the wonder not your work.So you should relax a bit.

The second is very beautiful and as he said Wow ... It only lacks a couple of ornaments, only small details.

Congratulations, if I were you to leave the past behind.Nice work and I'm not here to bother you.

12 hours ago, m7600 said:

Quick update. It's still a work in progress. I don't have a lot free time lately, so the little that I have I've been spending it on the Macedonian Wonder.

Screenshot from 2021-03-06 18-19-53.png

That's looking promising, thanks for sharing!

It's important to get some details right, though:

• the palace at Aigai (now Vergina) was larger than the Parthenon in Athens or any other building in Classical Greece;
  • columns were Doric and not part of walls (engaged columns were used in imperial Roman architecture)
  • the inner courtyard was square and had a colonnade on all four sides;
  • the east side (front) had two storeys, each with a colonnade;
  • the north side had a veranda, which gave a great view at the theatre, temples, and rest of the plain below;
  • at the west side there was a smaller extension with another square, colonnaded courtyard.

Some images showing how the site looks nowadays:

Spoiler

map.thumb.png.779a92b5f032b07e4611cfc8a7833f06.png

image.jpeg.240df58b9f3a773e67addf8c21ea9d82.jpeg
image.jpeg.a6bd58ad2476f50c8bb72b25114310c5.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@m7600, indeed, the model is looking fantastic already! 

Here's a detailed proposed reconstruction of the facade, that I think looks really great and should be useful to interpret Nescio's suggestion:

26 minutes ago, Nescio said:
  • the east side (front) had two storeys, each with a colonnade;

Aigai Macedonian palace sxedio propylo anaktorou copy.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Nescio said:

the inner courtyard was square and had a colonnade on all four sides;

To be precise, the central courtyard had 60 columns (16 on each side).

1 hour ago, Nescio said:

at the west side there was a smaller extension with another square, colonnaded courtyard.

That smaller courtyard had 34 columns (on the north and south sides 10 each and 9 each on the east and west sides). I don't know if your design is large enough to accommodate that many columns, though.

1 hour ago, Sundiata said:

@m7600, indeed, the model is looking fantastic already! 

Here's a detailed proposed reconstruction of the facade, that I think looks really great and should be useful to interpret Nescio's suggestion:

That image and other artist's impressions were already posted earlier in this thread: https://wildfiregames.com/forum/topic/20820-macedonian-wonder/page/2/?tab=comments#comment-394657