Macedonian wonder

Tomcelmare

11 minutes ago, Stan` said:

I will commit it soonish then thank you.

And thank you for creating it!

If you fancy doing another tomb, try your hand at the one of Cyrus the Great, near Pasargadae: a lot smaller and simpler, yet more important, and still standing today.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Nescio said:

And thank you for creating it!

If you fancy doing another tomb, try your hand at the one of Cyrus the Great, near Pasargadae: a lot smaller and simpler, yet more important, and still standing today.

That looks like considerable work too. Maybe in the future? I need to finish the briton and gaul wonders first. Then I might finally model that lamassu

cc41409bb86004375b357aa163a889a9.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Nescio said:

Here's your mod, now de-Macedonianized: mausoleum.zip

[EDIT] I also adjusted the footprint and status bar height of the template.

4 hours ago, Stan` said:

I will commit it soonish then thank you.

Maybe a task for the future, but perhaps a separate template folder, something like structures/wonders for these civ-less Wonders. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Stan` said:

That looks like considerable work too. Maybe in the future? I need to finish the briton and gaul wonders first. Then I might finally model that lamassu

cc41409bb86004375b357aa163a889a9.jpg

Yeah, Brit and Gaul indeed have a higher priority.

I'm not too sure about that artist impression, though. The tomb I'm talking about is this:

Spoiler

serveimage?url=https:%2F%2Fwww.destinati

There is a decent description at its livius.org article, the dimensions match those at the French Wikipedia page, and more photographs at the Wikimedia Commons entry.

8 hours ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Maybe a task for the future, but perhaps a separate template folder, something like structures/wonders for these civ-less Wonders. 

There exists `art/actors/units/global/`; I'd suggest a similar folder for structures, not just for wonders belonging to none of our civilizations (e.g. Stonehenge, the Pyramids, the Hanging Gardens), but also for palisades and other such shared, generic structures.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GunChleoc said:

I would give it the same name as for the units for consistency, even if the name should be less fitting. Makes it easier to understand the folder structure.

Yeah I agree. But if we can we should just make them both correct :D

• Like 1

The name itself (global, miscellaneous, shared, etc.) is not that important; there is problaby not a perfect catch-all term. What matters is that `art/actors/units/global/` contains both units shared by all (e.g. catafalque, slave) and belonging to none (e.g. ninja, plane); it would make sense to have an equivalent folder for structures.

(And strictly speaking, only five palisade actors are “shared” (gate, long, medium, short, tower), the others (curve, end, fort, etc.) are unbuildable.)

8 hours ago, Nescio said:

There exists `art/actors/units/global/`; I'd suggest a similar folder for structures, not just for wonders belonging to none of our civilizations (e.g. Stonehenge, the Pyramids, the Hanging Gardens), but also for palisades and other such shared, generic structures.

That too, but I meant a structures/wonders template folder. (y) 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Stan` said:

committed in r23575

Unfortunately, there is no 10x0 foundation (yet).

https://trac.wildfiregames.com/browser/ps/trunk/binaries/data/mods/public/simulation/templates/structures/mausoleum.xml?rev=23575#L18

9x9 works just fine anyways. 

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, Carltonus said:

This thread was an interesting read for me. Now that the Mausoleum is out of the way, what is the plan now? From the earlier posts, the decisions are either the palace at Pella or the tomb at Amphipolis.

Be that as it may, each of those buildings must stay  in the game, whether a faction uses them or not.

To put forward another Hellenistic structure, the Altar of Zeus at Pergamum would be be a plausible option.  The Attalid dynasty based in Pergamum was directly from Lysimachus' successor state, and the structure is in an incredible state of preservation due to the meticulous work of German archaeologists.

Pergamonmuseum_Pergamonaltar.jpg  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I'd vote for Palace at Pella. It's 100% Macedonian and not peripheral. Similar to why we want to take the Hanging Gardens from the Persians and give them something more Achaemenid (my vote here is for the Gate of All Nations)

I'd love for the core game to ship with a bunch of famous ancient buildings, even if they aren't factional wonders. Altar of Pergamon would be awesome to have. Could even eventually have a "Capture the Wonder" game mode that includes these extra wonders in the game.

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Hanging Gardens from the Persians and give them something more Achaemenid (my vote here is for the Gate of All Nations)

I think it is the best wonder in the game by looking. Including the Stonehenge, instead of removing them from civs, they should be kept for variation. There is city re-constructions and they are fun to do. And i am sure many of the people even finish the matches before building a wonder, so what difference is that making? 

I know, they both are not fully accurate to the history. But what is wrong with adding structures as many as could be? Many of these wonders are not alive today, and do a player have to mess with Scenerio Editor to see them? I also think it is a pretty good way to get to know the civs or culture in general.  It is just my thoughts, as a player likes to do it i strongly disagree the removal of them.  

7 minutes ago, sauerkrautpie said:

I know, they both are not fully accurate to the history. But what is wrong with adding structures as many as could be? Many of these wonders are not alive today, and do a player have to mess with Scenerio Editor to see them? I also think it is a pretty good way to get to know the civs or culture in general.  It is just my thoughts, as a player likes to do it i strongly disagree the removal of them.  

Thing is, you don't learn anything about the Gauls by building Stonehenge. :) 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Thing is, you don't learn anything about the Gauls by building Stonehenge. :) 

No of course not. I don't have much idea but its either filler or something remainder of Celts civ. Anyway, by the "civilization" for Stonehenge i was talking about Britons, i don't remember i specified Gauls :) Like i said, i support adding alternatives to the game, but i also say not to remove what currently exist. 

The motive is simple: why destroy it if it doesn't hurts?

I am actually asking, is there anything (like in game engine) preventing it? I think accuracy is not very reasonable, and i guess civilizations cover for much more than they are (for instance, in my opinion Gauls for continental Celts, thats what i see from the matches) So let Persians have both Hanging Gardens and Gate of all Nations :) Stonehenge probably built by Britons maybe their ancestors. Hanging Gardens were Babylonian, but so the Ishtar Gate is. They have to be removed then. :P But it just covers for it. And, i personally think, whoever is the creator of Hanging Gardens model is genius. Recreating a building, especially that one not a single piece of stone left from it, or maybe not even real :) It is just admirable, and let it be admired. I am sure there is a considerable people who does it. 

Edited by sauerkrautpie

11 minutes ago, sauerkrautpie said:

And, i personally think, whoever is the creator of Hanging Gardens model is genius. Recreating a building, especially that one not a single piece of stone left from it, or maybe not even real :) It is just admirable, and let it be admired. I am sure there is a considerable people who does it. 

Ironically enough, the modeler for the Hanging Gardens was working on replacing it with the Gate of All Nations. lol @Enrique

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

I'd vote for Palace at Pella. It's 100% Macedonian and not peripheral. Similar to why we want to take the Hanging Gardens from the Persians and give them something more Achaemenid (my vote here is for the Gate of All Nations)

I'd love for the core game to ship with a bunch of famous ancient buildings, even if they aren't factional wonders. Altar of Pergamon would be awesome to have. Could even eventually have a "Capture the Wonder" game mode that includes these extra wonders in the game.

Yes, we need references I never hear from that before.